• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LCS Profiteering S.O.B.s

123 posts in this topic

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Ethics and taking a stand. I would do exactly the same in that situation. Fortunately the LCS guy here isn't money hungry and actually looks after his long term investment (me) and not short term gain while screwing people over. screwy.gif I know.

I am going to dis agree and say that it is incorrect to say that the seller is doing something wrong in this free capatalist society. He is free to ask what he wants and people are free to pay what they want. Sale price and buying price are personal choice and there are no rules that can be applied. In this economy the FMV is made by supply/demand. His price WILL be adjusted when he sees it is no longer selling. He has just as much right to ask $150 as we do to offer $3 for it knowing full well that he can get more. It's just like a very hi grade book selling for stupid money, and then people come on here and bash the transaction. Freedom of choice. In the symbiotic relationship between supply and demand there is no right and wrong. Only sale or no sale. People need to get over what other people ask for a book and either buy or don't buy. End of story. sign-rantpost.gif

R.

Here's why it's wrong. I expect a retailer with whom I do business to charge me something close to FMV. If he doesn't he's taking advantage of my loyalty, and essentially saying I'm willing to screw you here on a book available elsewhere for cheaper, because you either don't know it or don't want to spend the effort to go elsewhere, and I care more about this quick potential profit than your long term business. It's personally insulting on more than one level. Dealers think they can get away with all kinds of *spoon* in their store, because there's no competition to keep them straight. But watch them at a con and prices magically fall in line closer to the market.

This argument people have the right to charge anything they want is BS. People have the "right" to do a lot of asinine things. How many people, with the potential of being lifelong big spending enthusiasts, have attempted to enter the hobby only to be turned off by some ComicBookGuy dealer who took them for pidgeon, and leave never to buy another book.

My problem is the LCS is supposed to sell them for the price on the cover. Marvel sells them to the LCS below sticker, and the LCS sells them at sticker. Cut and dry. After it leaves the LCS, whole nother story (as seen on feebay). If the comic was brand new and a complete piece of *spoon* would the LCS just give it to you for 25% of sticker? I think not.

If all new issues were sold on a supply/demand scenario, why would there be prices on the cover at all???????

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

I went to local comic shop to inquire about , what else, Cap 25.

Yes they have some.

Yes they are for sale.

They want 150.00 each!!!

I walked out in digust after cancelling my comic file.

No I didnt buy the stuff that was in it.

15 bucks, well I can understand, 20 bucks, wow that is alot for a comic that just came out.

150?

You just lost a customer.

Well done. It's too easy to divorce ethics from business practice. There are a lot of things we can just do in life that are not illegal -- but they can be rude, distasteful, immoral ... .

Dennis

I agree that he reveals his character a bit more clearly by his asking price, but

1) who is to say that he knows what the book is selling for elsewhere? There are many dealers that are not regulars on Ebay etc.

2) who is to say what the FMV is for this book? They only way to find out is to test the waters.

3) who is to say that he wasn't fetching $100 for the book already? If so, why would he drop his price?

4) How is this any different than llisting a book at a very hi reserve on an auction house and getting your hi price? I've listed books on Comiclink and Pedigree and literallly got 2 to 3 times what I expected for a hi doller book. Should I have said to the consignment seller "you know what, your buyer overpaid based on previous sales...take 50% off...on me."

Just a few thoughts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My problem is the LCS is supposed to sell them for the price on the cover. Marvel sells them to the LCS below sticker, and the LCS sells them at sticker. Cut and dry. After it leaves the LCS, whole nother story (as seen on feebay). If the comic was brand new and a complete piece of *spoon* would the LCS just give it to you for 25% of sticker? I think not.

If all new issues were sold on a supply/demand scenario, why would there be prices on the cover at all???????

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

Actually that's not true...

If Marvel required LCSs to charge a set price they would be in violation of a number of federal laws... The cover price is a "suggested retail price" and nothing more.

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

Try going to your LCS and offering him 12 cents for every 12-cent-cover-price comic he's got. tongue.gif

Cover price has absolutely nothing to do with it. makepoint.gif

Furthermore, maybe the LCS was selling them at cover price to begin with, saw that they were going like hotcakes, and raised the price a bit. Maybe they were still flying out the door at $20 a pop, so he raises the price again. Before long he's up to $150 before he sees any substantial price resistance. The point is that he may not have gone straight from cover price to $150.

If Marvel required LCSs to charge a set price they would be in violation of a number of federal laws... The cover price is a "suggested retail price" and nothing more.

...and the only NEW book you can't buy at cover price today at the LCS is.....

Cap #25

I still call it BULL *spoon* and will leave it at that.

Yeah, the comic shop has the right to price his books at any price it wants. Don't I, as a customer, have a right to feel any way I want to feel based on your price? Customers will go back to a shop based on their service and ridulously high prices are often interpretted as a slight in service. Yeah, shops are in business to make money but they offer a service in exchange for that money. When a shop prices something so out of line with FMV, what's so ridiculous about feeling slighted by them? Shops have to be careful about pricing because that is one of the prime ways they show their character to customers. Ridiculous prices, IMO, can show a lack of respect to customers and I can totally understand someone wanting to stop their relationship with a vendor because of a perceived slight. It's all about respect, right? tongue.gif

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it.

Maybe it is irrational for a customer to cancel a subscription based just on one book's price. But customers are irrational sometimes. King, I think you have great potential with a store but please see that many customers are offput by this action, whether you think it small or not. Even if it doesn't make sense to you, sometimes a lesser short term gain can lead to longer term gains.

-Bob

It's all good.

Today they're laughing all the way to the bank

Someday soon I'll be laughing when they declare bankruptcy

History repeats itself & all that.... smirk.gif

I'll say it again.......

DEATH OF SUPERMAN.

I'll be laughing right there with ya.

I should add to this that my friend was with me, and he collects Captain America yet his comic file was "strangely" without an issue BUT they have several for sale at 150.00.

I am never going there again.

Artboy99

I should add to this that my friend was with me, and he collects Captain America yet his comic file was "strangely" without an issue BUT they have several for sale at 150.00.

Artboy99

THAT'S the missing bit of information I've been waiting for. I'm wondering if my subscription service will have the copy I preordered.....,? I sure hope so, or it's off with their heads, and good-bye for all moderns.

And I have to add, that I think my subscription service will come through, as they have been straight shooters for the past decade or so.

Why would you cancel a subscription just because they are asking borderline insane prices for Cap #25? Just don't buy it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Er...because the seller can 'ask what they want'.

And the buyer can 'shop where they want'.

And anyone who wants to profiteer in this fashion just talked themselves out of my future coin. Their choice. My choice. thumbsup2.gif

Artboy99

I think that if this dealer does not honor his sub list, he is a SPOON!

A question that I have for you or anyone else is. What if you walked into this LCS and they had 100 copies sitting there for $2.95 each no limit and they have no idea that this book is so hot. Would you just buy one and leave some for the other customers, or would you buy them all and try to profit from them?

TimMaY

yay.gifyay.gif

He said 'supposed to', not 'required to'. I completely agree with those who have said that what goes around, comes around. Problem is, it's not just the profiteers who'll suffer, it's the entire hobby/industry. If I'm a faithful Captain America collector and can't get the latest issue (and an integral part of the storyline to boot) without paying $150, you know what? I'm not going to buy #26. Anywhere.

We'll see how many collectors say, "Thank you, sir, may I have another?"

Artboy99

I think that if this dealer does not honor his sub list, he is a SPOON!

A question that I have for you or anyone else is. What if you walked into this LCS and they had 100 copies sitting there for $2.95 each no limit and they have no idea that this book is so hot. Would you just buy one and leave some for the other customers, or would you buy them all and try to profit from them?

Take one and leave the rest...but also tell the store owner to limit them to one each.

Money comes and goes, and doesn't buy anyone happiness. But ensuring that 100 actual readers might get the book? That would be good. thumbsup2.gif

I'd probably buy two... one of each cover, but that's because I'm one of those completist types tongue.gif and would definitely tell the owner about how hot the book is. I may buy another set if the owner permitted just because it is such a hot book right now. I'm too lazy to flip now, though.

I can definitely see the temptation in wanting to buy all of them and making a nice windfall. I hope that I could resist that and also sincerely hope the shop owner would not someone buy all of them.

-Bob