• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many comics does CGC grade per day?

43 posts in this topic

Just a random question? Any guesses? Has CGC posted how many they grade per day/week/year?
I think Newt takes longer than the others because he feels he has to read the comics before they are graded.

Just a random question? Any guesses? Has CGC posted how many they grade per day/week/year?

I think Newt takes longer than the others because he feels he has to read the comics before they are graded.

gossip.gif He's in magazines these days, I hear . . .

That's only because he doesn't read the articles in the Playboys. devil.gif

Swank? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Large Bottom Babes? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They updated their census on 2/16/2007 and it was 15,733 more slabs than on 1/10/2007.

That's 15,733 divided by 37 days = 425 slabs per day... assuming all days are equal.

thanks Valiantman...

We can also break it down even further.. Let's assume CGC does not grade on Sundays, which would give us only 32 days. 15733 divided by 32 gives us 491 per day. If the cgc guys work an average of 8 hours a day, that would mean that they grade about 61 books an hour, which translates into about 1 minute per book. I come to this conclusion, because as far as my understanding goes, their is only one final grader who assess the last grade!

I know this is an over-simplization, but it is something interesting to think about.

thanks Valiantman...

We can also break it down even further.. Let's assume CGC does not grade on Sundays, which would give us only 32 days. 15733 divided by 32 gives us 491 per day. If the cgc guys work an average of 8 hours a day, that would mean that they grade about 61 books an hour, which translates into about 1 minute per book. I come to this conclusion, because as far as my understanding goes, their is only one final grader who assess the last grade!

I know this is an over-simplization, but it is something interesting to think about.

I don't think CGC works on Saturdays either, or holidays for that matter. gossip.gif

thanks Valiantman...

A minute a book is extremely tight and I realize that new issue moderns can be scanned extremely fast by Litch and his guys. However, discounting the moderns, how much time is spent on the books that require a more minute observation? It just seems like an extremely short time to spend on a book and check for restoration and other defects, and give it the attention it deserves and was paid for. I hope that when I finally send some of my own books in that it receives more than a minutes scan for my 29.00.

Scott

thanks Valiantman...

A minute a book is extremely tight and I realize that new issue moderns can be scanned extremely fast by Litch and his guys. However, discounting the moderns, how much time is spent on the books that require a more minute observation? It just seems like an extremely short time to spend on a book and check for restoration and other defects, and give it the attention it deserves and was paid for. I hope that when I finally send some of my own books in that it receives more than a minutes scan for my 29.00.

Scott

The formula doesn't take into account the number of graders. Assuming the number of books is correct.

61 books an hour / # of graders, let's say at least 3 = 20

so on average, according to the formula it would take 3 graders about 3 minutes per book.

One of the CGC graders should post on how long each book takes to grade, given its age.

They updated their census on 2/16/2007 and it was 15,733 more slabs than on 1/10/2007.

That's 15,733 divided by 37 days = 425 slabs per day... assuming all days are equal.

If there is a show in there, that sets them back atleast a day

Maybe Steve or Mark or Paul could chime in and give us an idea of how long it takes....and even break down the tier structure and how much time is devoted to a book in a certain tier. I don't care if they grade the book quickly as long as it graded accurately and by more than one person. I think it would just be interesting to know how much time is devoted to a book.

Scott

thanks Valiantman...

Scott

The formula doesn't take into account the number of graders. Assuming the number of books is correct.

so on average, according to the formula it would take 3 graders about 3 minutes per book.

One of the CGC graders should post on how long each book takes to grade, given its age.

But there is only one "final grader", I'm assuming that is Steve??

thanks Valiantman...

Scott

Maybe, but the "final grader" doesn't grade the books, he/they just verify what the graders have graded the book at.

I find it very hard to believe that one final grader reviews every single book graded by CGC. It seems logistically impossible for one person to do.

Perhaps the final grader only reviews certain types or tiers of books.

(Does anyone really think Steve B, or any other "final grader" is reviewing the thousands and thousands of moderns Colossus and others run through the mill every month?)

thanks Valiantman...

Scott

Maybe, but the "final grader" doesn't grade the books, he/they just verify what the graders have graded the book at.

It's hard to believe that the final grader places a final grade on a book, but yet doesn't spend any time grading it.. How many times to you get grader's note that go something like this... pregrades 7.0, 8.0,7.5.. final grade 7.0...I'm assuming the Final grader had the last say.

It's hard to believe that the final grader places a final grade on a book, but yet doesn't spend any time grading it.. How many times to you get grader's note that go something like this... pregrades 7.0, 8.0,7.5.. final grade 7.0...I'm assuming the Final grader had the last say.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that the final grader looks to see what all three graders graded a book and then verifies it based upon the graders notes.

What is unrealistic is to assume that the final grader grades every book that comes through CGC for a given tier.