• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

CaptainAmerica6GA.jpg

What is neat about this book to me, as a comics historian, is the June 23 arrival date stamp, when the distributor got it in to place out for sale.

Sept cover date

June 23 arrival

three month lag time

So many times i see references from people who date the books to when the date is printed on the book, what ever that may be

When ever one sees a printed cover date on a comic book, always date it at least two months prior, and in many cases 3 months prior to cover date, for when it was on the stands initially for sale to be enjoyed by fans & readers.

It is a rubber stamp for this arrival date - can't quite make out the letters following?

Is that So. N.C. ??

- mostly i think one sees hand written arrival dates

- rubber stamp usage this early indicates a busy distributor trying to save time = money

Some times one is trying to date the appearance of some new technology debuts to when that same tech concept begins to be used in the comic books of the time span under scrutiny.

A good example is when Atomic Bomb pics began in the comic books late 1945 - a huge avalanche soon after the two used in World War Two over Japan. But one has to date the stuff in the comic book several months in advance for proper context.

This Capt America 6 was on the stands almost six months before Pearl Harbor. Stuff like this got American teens all worked up and PH was merely a trigger.

June 23 - got on stands maybe a week later after processing

Thanks BZ, more pieces of the puzzle fit into recognizable shapes by looking at the books, every new book which hasn't been shared contains some bit of data which helps one examining the arcane nature of comics archeology cloud9.gif

BangZoom, whatever happened to the Pep 22 you spoke of about a week ago? And where's the Jackpot 4? You are my #1 poster of all time here (slightly nudging out OldGuy and Darthdiesel) acclaim.gif

If you look back over the posting for the past few days, you'll see that the comics are going up, more or less, alphabetically. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif"D" is for Detective (#27). makepoint.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

After your blasphemy in the other thread regarding Batman!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

BangZoom, whatever happened to the Pep 22 you spoke of about a week ago? And where's the Jackpot 4? You are my #1 poster of all time here (slightly nudging out OldGuy and Darthdiesel) acclaim.gif

If you look back over the posting for the past few days, you'll see that the comics are going up, more or less, alphabetically. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif"D" is for Detective (#27). makepoint.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

After your blasphemy in the other thread regarding Batman!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

yay.gifacclaim.gifyay.gif

Keep going, Bangzoom, in whatever order you prefer. I for one don't mind waiting for the bigger books to be posted.

I do want to get a look at the Action1 (if you have one that is, not sure if you've revealed that info yet) and the Detective 27, but the aaannnn-ti-ci-pa-tion is fine too.

If I have the time tonight I'll be posting scans of the following comic books.

All were requested at one or another by fellow board members.

Adventure Comics 35

Jumbo Comics 14

Marvel Mystery Comics 12

Military Comics 2

More Fun Comics 58

Mystery Men Comics 10

Military2GA.jpg

893whatthe.gif Those are very striking Reds and Whites on that cover.

Not having been able to comment on your scans for a week, I have to say that each is welcome with new ooohs and aaahs on my side of the computer. thumbsup2.gif