• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

BZ: is the flipside of that Sheridan/Beatles 45 "The Saints (When the Saints Go Marching In)" ? Did MGM press a later version of this disc, maybe only for N. America?

And equally importantly, have you read the recent Beatles biography by Bob Spitz? Fascinating level of detail... Ringo doesn't show up 'til about page 350 wink.gif

Nah, that would be EASY. I'm thinking some Sun Records label Elvis 45s, maybe a couple Warlock albums. Oh, and the original Robert Johnson 78s from 1937.

If you do pull those out, btw, I'm going to have a heart attack.

If it wasn't so late, I'd be tempted to take a photo of my Blind Lemon Jefferson on Paramount or a group of Sun Records.

Instead...this will have to do.

Beatles.jpg

The Beatles first recording (promo copy).

I picked up a nice original owner blues 78 collection many years ago. Robert Johnson's "Milkcow's Calf Blues" was in it. I traded it for a "nice" guitar. Most of the collection is still intact and this thread made me want to dig the records out to take a look. Lots of early Vocalion, Okeh on up through Chess, Trumpet, Specialty, etc.

blues78.jpg

BZ: is the flipside of that Sheridan/Beatles 45 "The Saints (When the Saints Go Marching In)" ? Did MGM press a later version of this disc, maybe only for N. America?

And equally importantly, have you read the recent Beatles biography by Bob Spitz? Fascinating level of detail... Ringo doesn't show up 'til about page 350 wink.gif

Yes, the flip side is "The Saints."

There is a copy of the MGM release for sale on eBay right now, if you want to see a photo of it.

I haven't read Spitz's book but I did take note of some of the tremendous reviews it has received.

I picked up a nice original owner blues 78 collection many years ago. Robert Johnson's "Milkcow's Calf Blues" was in it. I traded it for a "nice" guitar. Most of the collection is still intact and this thread made me want to dig the records out to take a look. Lots of early Vocalion, Okeh on up through Chess, Trumpet, Specialty, etc.

blues78.jpg

You were fortunate to find so many great records at one time.

Were there any Black Swan or Gennett discs in that collection?

blues78.jpg

You were fortunate to find so many great records at one time.

Were there any Black Swan or Gennett discs in that collection?

Hey, BZ, I bet you have an unplayed copy of "Zulus Ball" in your collection.

Angelo

Hey, BZ, I bet you have an unplayed copy of "Zulus Ball" in your collection.

Angelo

Nope.

As you probably know, there's only one known copy of that disc; and wish as I might, I can't claim ownership of it. tongue.gif

blues78.jpg

Sorry to sort of highjack BZ's thread, but 893whatthe.gifhail.gif. I'd love to hear how they sound.

Sorry to sort of highjack BZ's thread, but 893whatthe.gifhail.gif. I'd love to hear how they sound.

Old 78's are typically found with scratches, pops, and hisses which can be very annoying when you try to listen to them.

Fortunately we live in a day and age when an ever growing amount of vintage music is being digitized and is now relatively easy to find and is very affordable.

I'm especially fond of the JSP Records box set releases.

Take a listen to some samples at Amazon.com:Paramount Masters 4 CD Set: Song Samples

Incidentally, boxed sets are on sale tomorrow at Borders at 40% off list price. Check online for coupons.

Old 78's are typically found with scratches, pops, and hisses which can be very annoying when you try to listen to them.

Fortunately we live in a day and age when an ever growing amount of vintage music is being digitized and is now relatively easy to find and is very affordable.

Take a listen to some samples at Amazon.com:Paramount Masters 4 CD Set: Song Samples

Incidentally, boxed sets are on sale tomorrow at Borders at 40% off list price. Check online for coupons.

From the jazz side of things, Timeless Records is a label out of the Netherlands that loves its old school jazz. They take loving care to remaster and issue some very rare and obscure jazz recordings http://www.timelessjazz.com/shop/ You can always buy their cds at these two websites

http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-home

http://www.cduniverse.com/default.asp?cart=317235527&style=music

Sorry for adding to the derailment of this thread.

Angelo

Yes...what BZ said. I just listened to this one and while it plays through without skipping, there are pops and hisses. Actually the pops and hisses give it character. Okay..back to comics!grin.gif

gennett.jpg