• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Here's a few more Weird Tales with covers painted by J. Allen St John

weirdtales1933_04.jpg

Hands down my favorite St. John cover. That's a stunning copy!!! (worship)

Edited by adamstrange

I thought since these two comics were being discussed today on another thread, I 'd repost my copies.

Pep22GA.jpg

(December 1941)

Jackpot4GA.jpg

(Winter 1941)

Sorry, I'm a bit late catching up to this thread, but I couldn't let these go by without a few (worship) (worship) (worship) and a :cloud9:

action16ga.jpg

By September 1939 DC certainly recognized Superman's sales appeal.

They had published Superman # 1 and formed the Supermen of America club to capitalize on his success.

So, why were they still publishing covers like this one?

action16ga.jpg

They had published Superman # 1 and formed the Supermen of America club to capitalize on his success.

The olde "Never pass up an opportunity to make a fast buck on the Flavor of the Month" chestnut maybe?

589a93dee6657_46515-198613Beau-Geste-Posters.jpg.fbd61d8804417107728a1f54d3bfde1e.jpg

action16ga.jpg

Because that's a great Guardineer cover, as was his cover on #8.

action16ga.jpg

I haven't seen this cover too often.

action16ga.jpg46515-198613~Beau-Geste-Posters.jpg

The olde "Never pass up an opportunity to make a fast buck on the Flavor of the Month" chestnut maybe?

hm I think you may have something there.

If true, it's interesting that the editors thought that the cover image, which is similar to that of the movie poster, would be a bigger lure for sales than Superman.

action16ga.jpg

hm I'm not sure BZ but, that's one heck of a nice book. (worship)

hm I think you may have something there.

If true, it's interesting that the editors thought that the cover image, which is similar to that of the movie poster, would be a bigger lure for sales than Superman.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a firm grasp on how the Hollywood marketing machine worked back then. (Or now for that matter.) How far in advance of a movie's release did lobby cards hit the theaters? Also, does Action 16's September cover date mean that the issue was on the stands in June?

Seeing Guardineer's cover for Action 8, (You have an AMAZING collection) made me think "Last of the Mohicans". He may have been illustrating the classics. Altho Action 18 fits neither "All Quiet on the Western Front" nor "Johnny got his Gun", it does, somewhat fit William Wellman's 1927 film "Wings". Wellman served as an ambulance driver during WWI for none other than the French Foreign Legion. How's that for some circular craziness?

It may have just been a happy accident.