• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Some of the art seems like an odd hybrid of modern and GA styles...I'm sorta on the fence, but being a Fox nut, I'll probably pick one up.

It is a strange melding of styles on that Stardust story, isn't it?

The concept of the comic has great novelty appeal but I don't know if that's enough to sustain interest in the book. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

It's an interesting one-shot, at any rate.

Thanks for the scans, Scrooge!

Some of the art seems like an odd hybrid of modern and GA styles...I'm sorta on the fence, but being a Fox nut, I'll probably pick one up. Looks like fun.

The packaging is nice. The book is over-sized compared to Modern comics. It is GA-sized. It does NOT contain ads. The book reprints some classic GA ads instead (Blackheads removal, anyone :cool:) and there is a 2-page text piece inside. Careful planning went into making this issue.

Unfortunately, not every artist was able to connect with their GA artist-side. Some think the GA is the SA and others don't even try and turn in an alternative story. Here are some more scans from the stories I skipped earlier.

First up is Yank Wilson -

52669-F24-YankWilson.jpg.f7759af14b6d77451851c066084624e7.jpg

I agree with most of your assessment, Scrooge. When I initially flipped through it I was thinking that they missed the boat entirely. But the back half of the book is much better than the front and feels more "golden age". And the packaging is pretty cool. Gets a B for effort and a C for execution.

Captain Kidd by Jim Rugg and Brian Maruca - Probably my favorite of the whole bunch. The art feel is perfect for this project -

I'm not familiar with the artists but that page has an Alex Toth look to it.

Is that their normal style?

That's also what I liked about the page but I've never run into these guys before ... so much so that I don't know which is the artist, which is the writer :blush:

You've never read Madman by Allred? Solid books. Anyway, Mike usually writes and pencils while his wife is the inker. Can't wait to check this out.

Captain Kidd by Jim Rugg and Brian Maruca - Probably my favorite of the whole bunch. The art feel is perfect for this project -

I'm not familiar with the artists but that page has an Alex Toth look to it.

Is that their normal style?

That's also what I liked about the page but I've never run into these guys before ... so much so that I don't know which is the artist, which is the writer :blush:

You've never read Madman by Allred? Solid books. Anyway, Mike usually writes and pencils while his wife is the inker. Can't wait to check this out.

There's some confusion here. My comments referred to the people quoted above: Jim Rugg and Brian Maruca. These guys' work I have never seen. Mike and Laura I am familiar with. (thumbs u

Here's a couple more photos.

These were the first four pics I posted to the boards almost exactly one year ago

They caused a bit of a stir at the time didn't they?

These were the first four pics I posted to the boards almost exactly one year ago

I think I posted them in the Golden Age group shot thread. There was a positive response from a couple of people, but not too much of a reaction.

The stir was when I started this thread and posted scans of several early All-American Comics.

That seems really odd to me now because All-American doesn't seem to be all that popular a title among the collectors here.

It must have been a slow night.

I think I posted them in the Golden Age group shot thread. There was a positive response from a couple of people, but not too much of a reaction.

The stir was when I started this thread and posted scans of several early All-American Comics.

That seems really odd to me now because All-American doesn't seem to be all that popular a title among the collectors here.

It must have been a slow night.

Ah, but what a night to remember! I was the second person to respond on your thread BZ, and I've been happy to have clicked on it many, many many times!

Ah, but what a night to remember! I was the second person to respond on your thread BZ,

let's recap board members in the order they responded, shall we:

1st-thomasdacat

2nd-Moondog

3rd-RareHighGrade

4th-mr.schomburg

5th-adamstrange

6th-Detective27Kid

7th-Theagenes

8th-ciorac

9th-GreatEscape

10th-Ivanko

11th-jbcomicbox

12th-ashrael

I believe those listed above, should be invited over to BZ for a little GeekCon...what say you, BZ...

Ah, but what a night to remember! I was the second person to respond on your thread BZ,

let's recap board members in the order they responded, shall we:

1st-thomasdacat

2nd-Moondog

3rd-RareHighGrade

4th-mr.schomburg

5th-adamstrange

6th-Detective27Kid

7th-Theagenes

8th-ciorac

9th-GreatEscape

10th-Ivanko

11th-jbcomicbox

12th-ashrael

I believe those listed above, should be invited over to BZ for a little GeekCon...what say you, BZ...

I'm still waiting to hear back from thomasdacat. :gossip:

Ah, but what a night to remember! I was the second person to respond on your thread BZ, and I've been happy to have clicked on it many, many many times!

Thanks, Gary.

The response caught me by surprise.

I had lurked for a couple of days and was shocked by all the fantastic comics everyone was showing off. I was certain anything I posted would be met by a collective yawn.