• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The latest Alter-Ego features Joe Simon and his buddy Jack. Go buy one. I enjoyed the article.

So did I! I was leery at first since I've read Joe's book twice but the conversation held my interest throughout. Now I'm ready to move on to article about The Secret History of All-American Comics, Inc. (thumbs u

In the AE issue, there's also an ad for the Spotlight Exhibit on Flessel at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, CA. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. As per the website, the Spotlight Exhibit "include over 30 examples from Flessel's long creative career, including original comic book artwork from the 1930s, newspaper advertisements from the 1950s, comic strips from the 1960s, Playboy cartoons from the 1980s and recent commissioned artwork from the 1990s onward."

Scrooge,

I went to the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco a few years ago. It wasn't far from the Modern Art Museum if I remember correctly. They had some nice art by Crumb and some Sunday pages. I will have to find a way to go back for the Flessel exhibit. I enjoyed the comic art at the Jewish Museum in NYC last year. The Fine original art was terrific but the Schomburg recreations were not as good as a lot of his other stuff. The Crumb notebooks were especially nice items to see in the NYC exhibit.

While looking for some Schomburg covers to post I noticed that the original ad for the Young Allies had a different cover from the actual Young Allies #1. It looks like they had to change to eliminate Stalin from the group of bad guys. It is probably a lost Schomburg cover that may some day pop up as a recreation or on ebay. It is also politically incorrect in other ways but not as bad as some other comics. The inside story is an Angel cross over in Sub-Mariner, Blitzkrieg of the Living Dead. Unfortunately all I have is a fiche scan.

bb

2387331340_cf779359e7_b.jpg2386501433_ff6841dae7_b.jpg

It was the back cover to Human Torch #5 (#4) . It was modified because Russia had joined the Allies by the time Young Allies #1 came out. You can hear more about it here. ;)

While looking for some Schomburg covers to post I noticed that the original ad for the Young Allies had a different cover from the actual Young Allies #1. It looks like they had to change to eliminate Stalin from the group of bad guys. It is probably a lost Schomburg cover that may some day pop up as a recreation or on ebay. It is also politically incorrect in other ways but not as bad as some other comics. The inside story is an Angel cross over in Sub-Mariner, Blitzkrieg of the Living Dead. Unfortunately all I have is a fiche scan.

bb

2387331340_cf779359e7_b.jpg

2385761653_ecd55511e5_b.jpg

:luhv:

Quit ogling Doiby Dickles!

Jack

Sky pirate.....sky pirate

How high can you fly

You'll never, never, never reach the sky

Sky Pilot :gossip: You probably knew that though. :grin:

But of course. It was just apropos for this moment to change the lyric slightly

It was the back cover to Human Torch #5 (#4) . It was modified because Russia had joined the Allies by the time Young Allies #1 came out. You can hear more about it here. ;)

bb

That's really cool. I love this kind of stuff. (thumbs u

While looking for some Schomburg covers to post I noticed that the original ad for the Young Allies had a different cover from the actual Young Allies #1. It looks like they had to change to eliminate Stalin from the group of bad guys.

This was the published cover.

youngallies1.jpg

BZ,

There seems to be some great stories in Young Allies..Master of Evil looks pretty good. If you are going to be evil, why not be a master.

2388084253_d91926560f_b.jpg

And my favorite....Giant Robots.

2388084453_3759587614_b.jpg

Subby had underwater Robots but normal size.

bb

Not my scans.

2388915136_66c94863be_b.jpg

Here's Al Walker's Greesemonkey Griffin from Wings Comics 88 for your reading pleasure.

greasemonkey.jpg

lol Thanks for the Greasemonkey Griffin story.

I'm a big fan of Al Walker's art and always love seeing more examples of his great work.

Zip Motor's Zoomobile? I better get on the waiting list. I want one of those. :luhv:

Also, in the General Forum there was a discussion about Batman and killing. Last week, I was quite surprised how deliberately Timely heroes would kill their enemies.

Take the 2 following scans from USA Comics # 2. In the first, Rockman while not actively killing the villain, the dialogue does suggest that Rockman might have prevented the baddy's death had he wished to help.

More blatantly, Captain Terror does drown the villain in that story and then proceeds to blow up and sink the ship with the Black Claw's acolytes. Not quite how these issues were handled later on in comics -

55964-USA2-Rockman.jpg.21d284fc90bb0d3e67e6c2a231d10668.jpg

55965-USA2-CaptainTerror.jpg.57be90de917beb58cd74b27da7627e77.jpg

Subby had underwater Robots but normal size.

bb

Not my scans.

2388915136_66c94863be_b.jpg

The Subby adventure is from Young Men 24. It is also available in Marvel Masterworks 73 but I believe the scan is from the original comic.

bb

BZ,

There seems to be some great stories in Young Allies..Master of Evil looks pretty good. If you are going to be evil, why not be a master.

I am impatiently waiting for Marvel to do a Masterwork of Young Allies 1-4 so I can read the Red Skull stories.

a_men_wait.gif

BZ,

I am impatiently waiting for Marvel to do a Masterwork of Young Allies 1-4 so I can read the Red Skull stories.

a_men_wait.gif

maybe BZ will scan them for us :wishluck:

BZ,

a_men_wait.gif

The Master of Evil story was from Young Allies 12. This scan is from the book that I bought at the flea market from Wally. I have only seen fiche copies of Young Allies 1 but the story features the Red Skull and looks pretty good. I like the cover of YA4 too. Rush out and get a copy. According to the Timely thread, you can get YA at a discount compared to other Timely comics.

bb

2389899458_7a57223114_o.jpg

2389899308_03884b50be_b.jpg