• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Hey BZ? Do you have any old art posters that feature naked ladies on them? It's always a lot more fun when they combine art with naked ladies. I find it much more appealing than the explicit junk they come out with today.

Here's a man who knows what he wants and asks for it. Cheers!!

Ah, now that's art! (thumbs u :devil:

Original artwork for 1930's Side Show poster.

circus3.jpg

That is an incredible piece. How big is it?

It's approximately 15 x 21 inches.

Lots of the circus artwork is slightly smaller than the published size which runs counter to what I've typically found with most illustration art.

One notable exception to this rule is the art to the 1930 Christmas card which is 21 x 17.

Original artwork for 1930's Side Show poster.

circus3.jpg

That is an incredible piece. How big is it?

It's approximately 15 x 21 inches.

Lots of the circus artwork is slightly smaller than the published size which runs counter to what I've typically found with most illustration art.

One notable exception to this rule is the art to the 1930 Christmas card which is 21 x 17.

That seems incredibly small!! :o

The detail must be very fine. Most illustration art is done much larger than the published size, as you noted.

You just gotta bring in a couple original art pieces to the Antiques Roadshow and give some song and dance about how you're great uncle gave them to you since he was the assistant to Barnum (or some other oddball story) and you have no idea what they are worth.

lol

BZ - do you have any French posters from the early 1900s? Any of the advertising stuff?

Most of the 1890's posters I own are American in origin: Bradley, Carqueville, Gould, Leyendecker, Penfield, Reed, Rhead, etc.

Hey BZ? Do you have any old art posters that feature naked ladies on them? It's always a lot more fun when they combine art with naked ladies.

I do have a Petty watercolor.

Maybe I'll post it later this summer. hm

BZ - do you have any French posters from the early 1900s? Any of the advertising stuff?

Most of the 1890's posters I own are American in origin: Bradley, Carqueville, Gould, Leyendecker, Penfield, Reed, Rhead, etc.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let us see let us see

BZ....out of everything in your collection....what brings you the most joy? If you could only keep one area of all your collectibles, Comics, pulps, Original Art, etc. and had to give all the rest away, to...oh...let's say...me! What would you keep?

BZ....out of everything in your collection....what brings you the most joy? If you could only keep one area of all your collectibles, Comics, pulps, Original Art, etc. and had to give all the rest away, to...oh...let's say...me! What would you keep?

:gossip: his family (thumbs u

If you could only keep one area of all your collectibles, Comics, pulps, Original Art, etc. and had to give all the rest away, to...oh...let's say...me! What would you keep?

deal.gif

I guess I'll keep the comics. hm

If you could only keep one area of all your collectibles, Comics, pulps, Original Art, etc. and had to give all the rest away, to...oh...let's say...me! What would you keep?

deal.gif

I guess I'll keep the comics. hm

Good man!

Wow! The circus posters are amazing! Very cool stuff! :applause:

Thanks. :)

I actually didn't think there would be much interest. (shrug)

You are a very modest man, BZ. With all the other stuff that goes on with these boards, this is the thread to go to for just pure collecting fun. Some of these fabulous images from my fathers and grandfathers time have great interest and appeal. My grandfather learned how to read English from the pulp magazines of the early 20th century and saw performers like Houdini and Caruso. He witnessed the funeral of Valentino and loved the early film posters. My dad used to run errands for the local mobsters in Chicago, for nickels and dimes so he could buy candy and comic books and remembers how swell it was taking a break during the Battle of the Bulge( the real one, not the film) and smoking a Lucky and passing around comics with the rest of his unit.

I don't know exactly why these images appeal to us so much...Perhaps it's a combination of the innocence and the pure audacity of them. Perhaps a link to the past that people seem to recall with such fondness. So many amazing things happened during the first half of the twentieth century and the images that captures that feeling and that spirit shout out to me to remember them.

BZ, I don't know what drove you to be a collector, but I'm grateful to be able to share a little bit of the fruits of that passion.

i have to take periodic breaks from this thread, lest i go into palpitations.

i wouldn't be surprised to learn BZ has Marion Morrison's birth certificate

For more circus adventures, try the reprint of Dumbo FC 17 in the Disney Comic collection available at your local Borders book store for a substantial discount. Other classic stories included in the volume are Snow White, Bambi, Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland.

bb

2573395494_7d44c49f07_b.jpg