• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Wow! The circus posters are amazing! Very cool stuff! :applause:

Thanks. :)

I actually didn't think there would be much interest. (shrug)

Addiction to pop culture artifacts runs much deeper than just comics for most of us!

Show me a great Raymond Lowey industrial design drawing, New Yorker magazine cover, Hugh Ferris architectural rendering, etc. ... its all art to me, along with the comics and pulps!!

BZ, have you heard of John Vassos (illustrator and industrial designer)? If not, I'll post some illustrations from him at a later date. Art deco illustrations!!

Thanks for sharing !! :golfclap:

Edited by RyanH

I propose we tour London with Captain Easy under the artistic direction of Leslie Turner in the Fall of 1948

That's beautiful work by Turner -- carrying on the approach from Roy Crane.

I propose we tour London with Captain Easy under the artistic direction of Leslie Turner in the Fall of 1948

That's beautiful work by Turner -- carrying on the approach from Roy Crane.

Yes, I like it and the story was a fun one too.

More random posting. I love scanning pages and blowing them up in Photoshop to immerse myself in the art ...

You know, I really would not have wanted to pick up Sickles' ink tab. Yowsa! Love it :cool: (All panels below from 1936 strips) -

60203-Sickles-Ink1.jpg.c28df0697f556306801018effc807ea3.jpg

60204-Sickles-Ink2.jpg.0a4c1ecaaf35d6faaca35bbb8a365757.jpg

60205-Sickles-Ink3.jpg.2f4f215529d190b9c4be1020753fc928.jpg

60206-Sickles-Ink4.jpg.bdd80d2dc90739675529ab85d44b6ac6.jpg

More random posting. I love scanning pages and blowing them up in Photoshop to immerse myself in the art ...

Sickle's art is :cloud9:

You're blowing them up to near real-size -- the original art for these is much more impressive then the tiny reproductions we usually see.

Random posting if that's okay ... I propose we tour London with Captain Easy under the artistic direction of Leslie Turner in the Fall of 1948 :cloud9:

Scrooge,

Is this a quiz? I believe we have Paliament (with Big Ben in the background) and the Tower Bridge in the first and fifth drawings. The Tower of London is a particularly good location to visit with the magnificent bridge in the background. Trafalgar square (monument for Lord Nelson and St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church in the second drawing) is right next to the art museums and easy to visit too. Stonehenge is 120 km outside of town (sixth drawing). What are the other sites? Perhaps we have a Brit on board that can clarify. My guesses are gates to number 10 Downing and another Church (St. James Piccadilly?) but I really don't know.

bb

Oops, I see you have identified the 4th and 5th as the British Museum. I didn't recognize either one. The inside of the museum is magnificent. Almost everything that you would want to see is inside. I don't remember the outside looking like that. But the gates look similar to the British Museum gates that I have seen in other photos.

Edited by BB-Gun

Oops, I see you have identified the 4th and 5th as the British Museum. I didn't recognize either one. The inside of the museum is magnificent. Almost everything that you would want to see is inside. I don't remember the outside looking like that.

Glad I caught your edit. Yes, those are the gates to the British Museum on the rightmost panel. Here's a more traditional view of the Museum -

60216-Turner-BM2.jpg.e05b33132b911736eb0732cb31a4c3ff.jpg

Still the lone voice out there ... I picked up Vol. 15B of the Tarzan NBM reprint series today at a local shop with the Ruben Moreira run reprinted in B&W. Most people denigrate that part of the run sandwiched between Hogarth's work and I was expecting the worse ... NOT! Sure, it's a difference approach but I found the Moreira I like :D

(Scans might be a little fuzzy since the oversize book is an awkward fit on my scanner)

60270-Rubimor-1.jpg.e8086995bc8af92e45e50f36801d295a.jpg

60271-Rubimor-2.jpg.19505909c119ab489f89b804cf8acaf9.jpg

60273-Rubimor-3.jpg.ebcff414ddd3a53953255fd418652d15.jpg

60275-Rubimor-4.jpg.4f3f90c0c5953aa70c486f5d9391fc4e.jpg

Yes, I like it and the story was a fun one too.

You know, I really would not have wanted to pick up Sickles' ink tab. Yowsa! Love it :cool: (All panels below from 1936 strips) -

Awesome Sickles page! You can really see how much influence he had on Caniff.

Love the Moreira Tarzan too! I have to admit, I've always kind of glossed over his work and never really pay attention to it, but now I see what I've been missing. Very cool!

I thought I would give this thread a :bump: as it's too holy to be on the second page.

CC

Lately I have been looking for Baker covers which I posted in another thread. I also found a few planet cover scans that I liked while looking for Fletcher Hanks stories (that don't seem to be in Planet 6 and 8). I wonder what kind of bird we have on the cover of Planet 6? It certainly is in the raptor category. And more robots. :cloud9:

2587227873_ce25afdd2d_b.jpg

2587992448_2da5534028_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Speaking of Fletcher Hanks, I thought that the villian in this Angel splash looked a bit like a Hanks' character.

2587475461_1123563397_b.jpg

And if you are missing BZ's Quizes, then perhaps you can work on this Marvel Mystery Puzzle page. Also included is a decoder for secret Nazi messages.

bb

2587474983_f01f4f4c80_b.jpg

Speaking of Fletcher Hanks, I thought that the villian in this Angel splash looked a bit like a Hanks' character.

2587475461_1123563397_b.jpg

And if you are missing BZ's Quizes, then perhaps you can work on this Marvel Mystery Puzzle page. Also included is a decoder for secret Nazi messages.

bb

2587474983_f01f4f4c80_b.jpg

Any thoughts on how the film Metropolis influenced comics and pulps? I just watched it for yhe zillionth time.

While BZ is out of the kitchen, I thought I would throw a few circus stories into the pot.

I would love to have the original art done by Cole and Eisner for these stories from Police 21 and 16.

bb

2592975066_cdbfdfa883_b.jpg

2592137449_de8c96ef54_b.jpg