• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

alex raymond's Flash gordon = :cloud9:

I agree. Beautiful stuff! (worship)

Alex Raymond was an amazing talent and is recognized by fans and critics alike, but don't you think that Phil Davis' work on Mandrake is remarkable? I've never heard anyone acknowledge his talent. (shrug)

kingcomics1.jpg

kingcomics2.jpg

kingcomics3.jpg

By the way BZ, I started a poll in comic general in which you're featured. I hope you don't mind.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2424528&page=1&fpart=1

:olol:acclaim:

had to post it twice... ALBA :cloud9:

That's because you're "posting for two". She's about 8 months pregnant, right? Where's our resident Alba stalker, Mutantkeys (sp?) -- he probably knows the due date.

Jack

By the way BZ, I started a poll in comic general in which you're featured. I hope you don't mind.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2424528&page=1&fpart=1

sorry BZ... I went with Alba :luhv:

Bad choice. :makepoint:

Alba's representatives have been in touch with me. They say she really has a thing for guys with well rounded collections. :gossip:

Sorry. :shy:

:baiting:

Alba's representatives have been in touch with me. They say she really has a thing for guys with well rounded collections. :gossip:

:o

I understand there's some talk about naming the baby Zoom...or Bang, depending on whether it's a boy or a girl. (shrug):whistle:

BZ,

When I first started collecting in the sixties, those anthology comics were hot items. Years later when I got a chance to buy a couple of collections, I bought a golden age collection with King, Ace, Popular and Famous Funnies instead of silver age with spiderman and green lantern. Perhaps it was a mistake but I really enjoy looking at the old Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim, Buck Rogers, Brick Bradford and Mandrake stories. Thanks for showing those old strips. I was looking at one with the Mandrake art today (King # 15 wasn't it) and I was amazed at how good it looked. And it had robots. King of the Royal Mounted, Frank Buck, Red Man and the stories by Marge were pretty good too.

bb

PS The only problem with opening up the old comic boxes is that the cats like to sleep in the box tops. And I have to be careful when I lift the CBM boxes cause they are twice as heavy as comics.

Edited by BB-Gun

I understand there's some talk about naming the baby Zoom...or Bang, depending on whether it's a boy or a girl. (shrug):whistle:

How lucky can a guy get! Tell me, do you happen to have green lantern's lantern hidden away in your collectors lair? And by the way, the Mandrake strip is incredible...if only all GA had that level of artistry. This thread never ceases to amaze me.

BZ,

When I first started collecting in the sixties, those anthology comics were hot items. Years later when I got a chance to buy a couple of collections, I bought a golden age collection with King, Ace, Popular and Famous Funnies instead of silver age with spiderman and green lantern. Perhaps it was a mistake but I really enjoy looking at the old Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim, Buck Rogers, Brick Bradford and Mandrake stories. Thanks for showing those old strips. I was looking at one of that Mandrake art today (King # 15 wasn't it) and I was amazed at how good it looked. And it had robots. King of the Royal Mounted, Frank Buck, Red Man and the stories by Marge were pretty good too.

bb

PS The only problem with opening up the old comic boxes is that the cats like to sleep in the box tops. And I have to be careful when I lift the CBM boxes cause they are twice as heavy as comics.

If you look back carefully I'll bet you'll find that you enjoyed the comics more than you missed the money. If so, you did just fine.

If you look back carefully I'll bet you'll find that you enjoyed the comics more than you missed the money. If so, you did just fine.

I did enjoy the comics but I bought the Spiderman too from ebay...more expensive and more hassle.

bb

I found these in the box with the King comics.

2555163704_82667e726b_b.jpg

2555163840_e92ed601b5_b.jpg

The first issue has a text story by Gardner F. Fox.

What year were those?

Those Killers issues are from 1947 and 1948. They usually go in the box with King comics and it is a tight fit because the Jungles and Jumbos are in the same box. My later lower grade King comic are filed separated and are harder to find. I don't find a lot of comics at the flea markets these days but I do have an adventure trying to sort through the comics in my own closet.

bb

What year were those?

Those Killers issues are from 1947 and 1948.

The title might have been inspired by the film of the same name released in 1946.

From Wikipedia: The Killers (1946) is an American film noir about the investigation of a mob murder. It is based in part on the short story of the same name by Ernest Hemingway. The film was directed by Robert Siodmak and features Burt Lancaster in his screen debut.

The film was nominated for four Academy Awards.

Best Director: Robert Siodmak.

Best Film Editing: Arthur Hilton.

Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic Picture: Miklós Rózsa.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Anthony Veiller.

Trivia Note: The opening chords of Miklós Rózsa's theme music was later reused for the Dragnet television series.

Thanks for the film note and I didn't know the Dragnet theme came from the Killers. Speaking of movies, this magazine tells the story of the movie. Agar went from co-star in Fort Apache with Shirley Temple (his wife) and John Wayne to star of the Mole People. It must have been a strange 10 years for him.

bb

Aaaargh! Eeeeeekkk!

2553238285_fc0a080904_b.jpg