• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

A full year before the "official" start of WWII, Germany was massing at the border of Czechoslovakia after annexing Austria under the perview of Chamberlain. Germany used the discontent of the German minority, so-called Sudeten Germans, in Czechoslovakia to stir up the pot and poor Lord Runciman was supposed to mediate the conflict :screwy:

I am attaching an excellent and clear-minded analysis from mid-August 1938 in the Dallas Morning News. The writer has NO illusion as to Hitler's intentions.

69849.jpg.c0a73569849ac0e9e779a80cf5f09a4a.jpg

69850.jpg.7bc1a3d3946313589ab30feb2ede582c.jpg

From the Punch Almanac of 1939. These cartoons remind me of a WWII movie that I saw and one of the coldest days of my life.

3080432021_c945faa644_o.jpg

3080431819_c4978e5d5c_o.jpg

Riding to work in the winter time was too darn cold. But riding home for Xmas would have been worth it.

Royal Enfield was a popular English motorcycle during the War.

This next cartoon applies as well today as it did in 1939.

3081270984_ba9d9ddcb4_o.jpg

Great stuff guys. :applause:

Do either of you have any German or Japanese political cartoons from WWI or WWII?

I don't think I've ever seen the war as represented from their point of view. (shrug)

I don't have any German books except photos of the Rhineland taken from a Zepplin. And my "ubersetzen" isn't what it used to be.

But I have another cartoon from Punch that represents someone's idea about the viewpoint of German leadership before WWII.

3081360940_535d1b66e4_o.jpg

This reminded me of Schomburg's covers. Bernard Partridge did excellant work.

Do either of you have any German or Japanese political cartoons from WWI or WWII?

I believe I saw some from WWII on Monday. Are you interested in seeing some?

There were in this book - Google Preview of The World War, 1939-1945: The Cartoonists' Vision by Roy Douglas (1990). I have access to it. It's not all cartoons but it's cartoons that are contextualized so the reader really understands their importance.

Great stuff guys. :applause:

I don't think I've ever seen the war as represented from their point of view. (shrug)

I actually have a book on WWII German propaganda and posters. I'm such a history geek that it was on my birthday wish list when I was in high school and my parents gave it to me. :insane:

Here's the front and back covers of the book. I haven't read it in years but just leafing through it looks interesting enough for a re-read.

WWIIpropagandafront.jpg

WWIIpropagandaback.jpg

Here's the front and back covers of the book. I haven't read it in years but just leafing through it looks interesting enough for a re-read.

Thanks for the scans. Looks like a great book.

I have some WWI German posters from my copy of The Poster in History by Max Gallo.

This one by Willy Stower is asking for contributions to finance submarines - 1917 -

69852.jpg.6ee38917942f1e990f1219fb846f16d6.jpg

From 1918, without caption, below is What England Wants! by Egon Tschirch. The poster is reminding Germany of the declaration made by the English Labor leader Johnson Hicks: "Every day we must bomb the industrial complexes of the Rhineland with hundreds of airplaines until this cure takes effect" -

69853.jpg.077bd15ded7e8d46afd2bcfec98444dc.jpg

Thanks for the scans. Looks like a great book.

It's a comprehensive survey of the various forms of propaganda during the war including films, editorial cartoons, radio, posters, songs, stamps movies etc. There's quite a bit of text. Only one comic is illustrated - Speed 31.

Some more examples:

WWIIPropaganda1.jpg

This is a de-motivational poster for American soldiers. There are even more explicit sex themed ones put out by the Japanese.

WWIIPropaganda2.jpg

WWIIPropaganda3.jpg

WWIIPropaganda4.jpg

Fascinating posts. Keep them up!

I have been on a WW2 kick lately and finished Ben Stein's "The Croesus Conspiracy" (fiction about Germany re-arming and a conspiracy in the USA government to bring back the 3rd Reich) and am reading "Submarine Diary" by a WW2 submarine executive officer.

Yesterday a Czech-born Holocaust survivor spoke at my wife's school and I had the privilege of driving her to and from the school. She has seen and experienced some awful things when in Bergen-Belsen and Auschwitz and shared some of that with the 8th grade students. This year I was smart enough to record her 40 minute speech and 50 minute Q&A.

Yesterday a Czech-born Holocaust survivor spoke at my wife's school and I had the privilege of driving her to and from the school. She has seen and experienced some awful things when in Bergen-Belsen and Auschwitz and shared some of that with the 8th grade students. This year I was smart enough to record her 40 minute speech and 50 minute Q&A.

Way to go, recording her memories.

My best read this year by far was 'The Lost: A Search for Six of Six Million' by Daniel Mendelsohn. It came out in late 2006 but I didn't read it until this past January. The author's search for his family history led him to a round-the-world journey to talk to all survivors of the events so as to piece together what happened so many years ago in Bolechow, Poland. I highly recommend it.

I believe I saw some from WWII on Monday. Are you interested in seeing some?

Yes.

There were in this book - Google Preview of The World War, 1939-1945: The Cartoonists' Vision by Roy Douglas (1990). I have access to it. It's not all cartoons but it's cartoons that are contextualized so the reader really understands their importance.

For some reason my computer keeps freezing up when I try to scroll the pages of the book. :frustrated:

From what I was able to see, the book looks fascinating. I'm going to try requesting it through an interlibrary loan.

WWIIpropagandafront.jpg

I remember skimming through this book when it was in the bookstores.

I kept hoping it would eventually end up on the remainder tables since the bookstore I frequented seemed to specialize in discounted books.

I'm going to try getting it through my local library.

From 1918, without caption, below is What England Wants! by Egon Tschirch. The poster is reminding Germany of the declaration made by the English Labor leader Johnson Hicks: "Every day we must bomb the industrial complexes of the Rhineland with hundreds of airplaines until this cure takes effect" - 69853.jpg

That's a terrific looking poster. :applause:

I have a copy of the Gallo book but its been years since I've looked at it.

Some more examples:

WWIIPropaganda1.jpg

This is a de-motivational poster for American soldiers. There are even more explicit sex themed ones put out by the Japanese.

WWIIPropaganda2.jpg

WWIIPropaganda3.jpg

WWIIPropaganda4.jpg

Thanks for all the scans, AS. :applause:

Does the book have any biographies of the artists or interviews with them discussing the work they produced?