• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____BRAIN BOY (i) 1962 in 4-COLOR #1330 ZDELL PUBL 62 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____HENNESEY (a) 1962 one tale in 4-COLOR #1280 ZDELL PUBL 62 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____HIGH ADVENTURE (a) 1958-59 ZDELL PUBL 58 59 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____JUNGLE JIM (a) 1958-59 in #17-#19 ZDELL PUBL 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED (a) 1956-58 in #20-28 & 4-COLOR #935 ZDELL PUBL 56 57 58 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____LARMIE (i) 1961 one tale in 4-COLOR #1223 over Gil Kane's pencils ZDELL PUBL 61 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____LASSIE (a) 1959-62 ZDELL PUBL 59 60 61 62 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____LOWELL THOMAS' HIGH ADVENTURE (a) 1958-59 in 4-COLOR #949 & 1001 ZDELL PUBL 58 59 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____MEN OF THE WILDERNESS (a) 1956-58 backup in KING OF THE ROYAL MOUNTED ZDELL PUBL 56 57 58 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____PLUTO (w) ZDELL PUBL 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____PRINCE VALIANT (a) 1954-58 ZDELL PUBL 54 55 56 57 58 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____SHERLOCK HOLMES (a) 1961-62 ZDELL PUBL 61 62 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____SIR LANCELOT (a) 1954 in 4-COLOR #606 ZDELL PUBL 54 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____SMOKEY THE BEAR (a) 1958 in 4-COLOR #932 ZDELL PUBL 58 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____TUROK, SON OF STONE (a) 1959-60 in #16-18 & 21; #18 with Ray Baily ZDELL PUBL 59 60 3/1/2006

FUJITANI, BOB DELL PUBLICATIONS ____TUROK, SON OF STONE (a) 1959-60 in #16-18 & 21; #18 with Ray Baily ZDELL PUBL 59 60

I didn't realize Fujitani had done so much work for Dell.

Jerry sent a copy of the Who's Who to anyone that contributed a few bucks to the GCD. My copy looks like the above. It isn't as user friendly as the site. I suspect that Ray and a few other GCD people also have the database.

bb

D'OH!

I probably do have that set of disks -- Who's Who is on it? Must be nearly the final version. I had forgotten all about it. I remember looking at some scanned fanzines, so I must have the disks.

(I wonder where they are.)

Jack

My copy has "Jerry's Files and Scans" written on it (copy 3 from 2006).

It is one disk which contains Alter Ego 1-4, Capa Alpha 1-20, Comicollector 1-6, Panelologist, Who's Who database and a bunch of other stuff.

It was a thrill for me to finally see the complete AE issues after 45 years. I enjoyed reading the old ads in Comicollector.

And my name was mentioned in the Who's Who in comic fandom from 1964. :blush: page 27

bb

I wish I could download the entire database for safekeeping since I bet you one day it will be gone. Do you have a download?

I am most afraid since last night I realized that The Comic Strip Project has gone the way of the Dodo. I had planned on saving the info ... but of course never came around to do it. Now, I can't look up which syndicated strips Bob Fujitani worked on in what year :pullhair:

Oh carp, that is a great reference site! :cry:

I wish I could download the entire database for safekeeping since I bet you one day it will be gone. Do you have a download?

I am most afraid since last night I realized that The Comic Strip Project has gone the way of the Dodo. I had planned on saving the info ... but of course never came around to do it. Now, I can't look up which syndicated strips Bob Fujitani worked on in what year :pullhair:

Oh carp, that is a great reference site! :cry:

I just emailed him to see if there are plans to host it elsewhere or if it available in database form. :wishluck:

My copy has "Jerry's Files and Scans" written on it (copy 3 from 2006). It is one disk which contains Alter Ego 1-4, Capa Alpha 1-20, Comicollector 1-6, Panelologist, Who's Who database and a bunch of other stuff.

It was a thrill for me to finally see the complete AE issues after 45 years. I enjoyed reading the old ads in Comicollector.

And my name was mentioned in the Who's Who in comic fandom from 1964. :blush: page 27

Those disks from Jerry Bails sound great. Do any of them contain scans of The Comic Reader or early Rocket's Blast issues?

I'm listed in the Who's Who in Comic Fandom, too. I seem to recall it was in the, we're not sure if these people are still active section. hmlol

My copy has "Jerry's Files and Scans" written on it (copy 3 from 2006). It is one disk which contains Alter Ego 1-4, Capa Alpha 1-20, Comicollector 1-6, Panelologist, Who's Who database and a bunch of other stuff.

Those disks from Jerry Bails sound great. Do any of them contain scans of The Comic Reader or early Rocket's Blast issues?

I'm listed in the Who's Who in Comic Fandom, too. I seem to recall it was in the, we're not sure if these people are still active section. hmlol

I found my copy (and Scrooge's). A single CD.

Contents:

All-Star Index 3 Ed

Alter-Ego #1

Alter-Ego #2

Alter-Ego #3

Alter-Ego #4

CAPA-alpha #1-20

Collector's Guide

Comicollector#1-6

ComingClean 1-18

DC Index covers

Finger & Kane on Batman

Guidebook to Comics Fandom

Interview with Jerry on the Web

Jerry's Drawings

Jerry's JSA article for GA#8

OTDB-COMIC READER

The Panelologist

Unpublished intro New Fun #1

WhosWhoJuly1_2006

1st Read WHAT IS ON THIS CD

Jack

There are quite a few names in the "Lost to Fandom?" list. Obviously, you weren't lost, just hiding.

I thought On the Drawing Board was on the disk but I couldn't find it.

The Comic Reader would only be on the disks if it was prepared by Jerry.

The Rocket's Blast was GB Love's work and not on the disk.

I have a lot of both of those titles but they are fading.

bb

Hitler vs. Gremlins

Very funny! Mel Blanc used the line "Mit der Friz Freleng ...und mit der Sauerbraten!" but if sounded German.

No mention of Hasenpfeffer? Maybe I missed it.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

I hope BangZoom doesn't mind me using this thread to tell a funny -- OK, mildly amusing -- tale about my Hit Comics 8, February 1941, just received yesterday from skypinkblu (thanks). Neon the Unknown cover attributed to Lou Fine (?) at GCD. Looks like his work to me.

HitComics8.jpg

Ever since I've learned about Neon the Unknown, I've been hoping to find an affordable Hit Comics featuring him on the cover (element connection). Obvious problems like tape on the spine and edge chips, but this is not a bad-looking reader copy. (Let's say that it's a good thing that Neon only appeared on the FRONT cover.)

I wanted to show a few pages and decided to check the Golden Age UK site rather than abusing my copy on the scanner. I downloaded the microfiche images that just appeared there and found the pages that I wanted. Apologies that they're so fuzzy.

Here's two pages from Betty Bates, Lady-at-Law. Not a feature that's screaming for a revival, I don't think. Signed by "Stanley Charlot" -- GCD says that Nick Cardy drew it! Very odd, stylized style. Look at the figures here, like the bizarre faces in panel 6 of page 9 (carbon monoxide in the last panel!) and panel 7 of page 13, plus the stretched-out legs and high waists in panels 3 and 8 of page 13. Weird!

11.jpg

15.jpg

Here's a fun gag page, Tommy Tinkle (ahem) by "Sandy Klauz" (Arthur Beeman). Sam Snipe in his odd ghost costume in panel 1 totally cracks me up. He wouldn't be out of place in a Robert Crumb strip.

44.jpg

I really like the almost "clear line" style on Lion Boy by "Merton Holmes", apparently by George Tuska! Isn't that an attractive page? Great ape profile in panel 5.

46.jpg

One of the best pages in the book is the Neon the Unknown splash page. Signed "Tagor Maroy", GCD says Alex Blum (?) -- seems right to me. Unusual page layout. Neon's powers are so ill-defined, with "neonic screens", "neonic rays" and neonics socks to the jaw.

52.jpg

And here's where I was surprised. Red Bee splash page for a wild marijuana story by "B. H. Apiary" (HAW!) -- GCD says Saul Rosen(?). He almost a Raboy style in his pencils and inks, maybe because of photo swipes. That miscut page folded up at the bottom looks suspiciously familiar -- because it's got to be my copy that was microfiched! No way that exact defect, the marks on the front cover, and the lack of a back cover could be coincidence!

34.jpg

Golden Age comics really are addictive, aren't they?

Jack

Does anyone have the comic that goes with this record?

3242131147_1cb2d7ee8f.jpg

Don't have the comic but I do notice that the story is told by Daws Butler who later went on to become the voice of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss, Captain Crunch and many others. In junior high out in California, I took an animation class and he came in and gave a workshop on that aspect of the cartoon industry. He was second only to Mel Blanc in influence in the voice-acting field. :)

Does anyone have the comic that goes with this record?

3242131147_1cb2d7ee8f.jpg

Don't have the comic but I do notice that the story is told by Daws Butler who later went on to become the voice of Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss, Captain Crunch and many others. In junior high out in California, I took an animation class and he came in and gave a workshop on that aspect of the cartoon industry. He was second only to Mel Blanc in influence in the voice-acting field. :)

Thanks Flee. I didn't know he was the voice of Yogi. Did he do Boo Boo too?

The artists was also a well know cartoonist but I don't have an example of his work yet.

bb

From the Who's Who:

MILLAR, MELVIN

Name and vital stats

MILLAR, MELVIN (letterer)

Pen names

TUBBY MILLAR

Assisted

Jack Bradbury and Al Hubbard [on lettering] c1950-56 > 50 51 52 53 54 55 56

Comics Studio (Shop)

SANGOR STUDIO [west coast] STUDIO (let/) 1940s-50s > 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

MARVEL COMICS

Support (let/) 1950 via SANGOR STUDIO > 50

WESTERN PUBLISHING

Support (let/) 1956- > 56 57 58