• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'm curious, what is Bangzoom planning to post to celebrate the 1000th page in this thread?

Only five more to go ...

Maybe?

Jack

73501.jpg73502.jpg

73503.jpg

lol^^

hm I'm hoping CGC presents me with a Carl Barks designed gold watch. :wishluck:

3253183601_c7c8a6140f_o.jpg

This would be kind of fun to own. A portrait of Carl Barks by Al Hirschfeld is a unique item.

The Hirschfeld theater in NYC has several of these portraits of actors on the walls.

It would be nice to have a portrait honoring a cartoonist.

bb

From the Heritage catalog and I probably will be outbid anyway.

We could all chip in and buy BZ this Hirschfeld drawing to celebrate 1000. I'll donate the first dollar.

It's a significant part of what's left of my 401K from my former employer.

bb

BZ's collection is starting to remind me of a line from an uncle scrooge story, loosely: the only reason these things are rare is because BZ has them all!

(the money pit by Rosa - btw, BZ, have you read the Rosa duck stories? I think you'd enjoy them)

Rosa may have written the story you describe, but it was (as usual) Barks who first used that angle. In a story that I believe originally appeared in one of the first 25 or so issues of Uncle Scrooge, Scrooge decides to make a random 1916 quarter incredibly valuable by acquiring ALL the 1916 quarters that were made, and dumping them in the ocean... then he loses the single on that he'd set aside, and has to go down to an Atlantis-like world to retrieve another of the quarters...at the end, he takes the one salvaged quarter to a coin shop, and the dealer gasps and says "why, this coin is so rare and valuable, only one person in the world could afford to buy it - Scrooge McDuck!" laugh.gif

That's fairly interesting...because 1916 Standing Liberty quarters are one of the classic rarities of 20th century US silver coinage...an example in even the worst condition is worth $3-$4K. An MS65 (comparable to a 9.8) could sell for $100K with a full head.

BZ's collection is starting to remind me of a line from an uncle scrooge story, loosely: the only reason these things are rare is because BZ has them all!

(the money pit by Rosa - btw, BZ, have you read the Rosa duck stories? I think you'd enjoy them)

Rosa may have written the story you describe, but it was (as usual) Barks who first used that angle. In a story that I believe originally appeared in one of the first 25 or so issues of Uncle Scrooge, Scrooge decides to make a random 1916 quarter incredibly valuable by acquiring ALL the 1916 quarters that were made, and dumping them in the ocean... then he loses the single on that he'd set aside, and has to go down to an Atlantis-like world to retrieve another of the quarters...at the end, he takes the one salvaged quarter to a coin shop, and the dealer gasps and says "why, this coin is so rare and valuable, only one person in the world could afford to buy it - Scrooge McDuck!" laugh.gif

That's fairly interesting...because 1916 Standing Liberty quarters are one of the classic rarities of 20th century US silver coinage...an example in even the worst condition is worth $3-$4K. An MS65 (comparable to a 9.8) could sell for $100K with a full head.

I enjoyed this story very much. I liked the whales almost as much as the pie fight.

bb

2966203726_3944061e10_o.gif

Thrilling Mystery was published from 1935 to 1947 by Ned Pines who was also the publisher of the Nedor line of comic books.

It started as a weird menace title that competed against the likes of Terror Tales and Horror Stories. In the 1940's the stories in the magazine were more generic in flavor to suit the changing tastes of the readership.

thrillingmystery193709.jpg

2966203726_4007cc4ff4.jpg

Very clever, BB. :applause:

What story is that panel from?

That panel is from Uncle Scrooge 5 where they dive to Atlantis to retrieve a bag of quarters from the Jukebox, i.e., "Secret of Atlantis".

bb

3256567515_712bc9a8cb_b.jpg

and the pie fight was a wonderful confection.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun