• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

3248476259_7cb6f96395_o.jpg

Robur the Conqueror?

I've never heard of that title. hm

Is it any good?

Robur was kind of like Capt. Nemo, but in an airship. If you are a Verne fan, its one of his better (but lesser) known works. Vincent Price played Robur when Verne films were hot in the late 50s & early 60s. Check it out!

Bill

73384.jpg

Neat comic. :applause:

I have a few early issues of that title but I can't find them. :cry:

However, in my search I did find #8 which is the last number of the series.

It's a 25¢ 100 page issue.

stamps.jpg

I actually have #5, although that fuzzy scan is from GCD.

Yours looks great!

Jack

3248476259_7cb6f96395_o.jpg

Robur the Conqueror?

I've never heard of that title. hm

Is it any good?

Robur was kind of like Capt. Nemo, but in an airship. If you are a Verne fan, its one of his better (but lesser) known works. Vincent Price played Robur when Verne films were hot in the late 50s & early 60s. Check it out!

Bill

Master of the World! (thumbs u

3242131147_1cb2d7ee8f.jpg

You turn up some neat stuff, BB. :applause:

I've never heard of Talking Komics.

Here is some information I found via the magic of my computer. :grin:

From kiddierecords.com:

BELDA TALKING KOMICS:

This rare series had a similar concept to Capitol and RCA read-along albums except rather than the storybook being part of the album, the young listener received a separate comic book to follow as the record played. A total of eight Talking Komics titles were released along with the "Mysto-Magic" record, which would play a different nursery tune every time! Chirpy Cricket features the voice of Daws Butler, whose long list of cartoon characters include Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Wally Gator and Elroy Jetson. Actor Marvin Miller's (Grumpy Shark) distinguished career included film and voice work, including Aquaman and several other cartoons.

chirpycricketcomic.jpg

Listen to Chirpy Cricket: Link

I absolutely LOVE this!!!!!

Short of breaking the bank, I can now read the story I've been dying to read for a few years. I hadn't realized it'd been reprinted :D

73417.jpg

Let us know if it's any good. :popcorn:

I own the original but I've never read it. :gossip:

GreatComics3GA.jpg

The Futuro story is great, the Lost City story is awesome (I don't think it is reprinted in the Anti-Hitler comic) and the back cover is about as good as they come.

great3bc.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

GreatComics3GA.jpg

The Futuro story is great, the Lost City story is awesome (I don't think it is reprinted in the Anti-Hitler comic) and the back cover is about as good as they come.

great3bc.jpg

It's been covered before, but the back cover refers to William "Stage" Boyd not Hopalong Cassidy .

That's very interesting. I had noticed the unfamiliar nickname but never investigated why it was being used.

Here is William "Stage" Boyd's bio from Wikepedia:

(December 28, 1889, New York, USA - March 20, 1935, Los Angeles, USA)

William H. Boyd was an early 20th century stage actor who appeared in two Broadway plays and then worked in motion pictures.

To avoid later confusion with a better-known performer working under the same name, William Boyd (best known for playing Hopalong Cassidy), Boyd began using the name William "Stage" Boyd to emphasize his experience on the legitimate stage (such experience was considered an advantage to an actor after the introduction of talking pictures).

Boyd's arrests for alcohol possession (during prohibition) and drug possession damaged his career and that of the "other" William Boyd. Many newspapers reported the arrests, but published photos of the wrong William Boyd, who lost his studio contract with RKO.

Boyd's first wife, Margaret Christiansen, later married theatrical producer Harry Frazee, one time owner of the Boston Red Sox, best remembered for selling Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees.

lostcity1.jpglostcity2.jpglostcity3.jpglostcity4.jpg

Plot summary for The Lost City (1935) from IMDB:

After a series of electrical storms disrupts the world, electrical engineer Bruce Gordon develops a machine to trace the cause of the disasters. He discovers that the source is in central Africa and, backed by the nations of the world, sets out on an expedition. Bruce learns that the disturbances emanate from an area called the Magnetic Mountain.

But unknown to our hero and his pal Jerry, the Magnetic Mountain also contains a super-advanced secret city ruled by the tyrannical scientific wizard named Zolok, who has unleashed the electrical fury threatening civilization as part of his plan to conquer the world. Zolok has under his control a brilliant inventor, Manyus, Manyus' beautiful daughter Natcha and an army of giant African slaves, who follow the dictates of a strongman, Appolyn, and Gorza, a dwarf.

GreatComics3GA.jpg

great3bc.jpg

It's been covered before, but the back cover refers to William "Stage" Boyd not Hopalong Cassidy .

That's very interesting. I had noticed the unfamiliar nickname but never investigated why it was being used.

Here is William "Stage" Boyd's bio from Wikepedia:

(December 28, 1889, New York, USA - March 20, 1935, Los Angeles, USA)

William H. Boyd was an early 20th century stage actor who appeared in two Broadway plays and then worked in motion pictures.

To avoid later confusion with a better-known performer working under the same name, William Boyd (best known for playing Hopalong Cassidy), Boyd began using the name William "Stage" Boyd to emphasize his experience on the legitimate stage (such experience was considered an advantage to an actor after the introduction of talking pictures).

Boyd's arrests for alcohol possession (during prohibition) and drug possession damaged his career and that of the "other" William Boyd. Many newspapers reported the arrests, but published photos of the wrong William Boyd, who lost his studio contract with RKO.

Boyd's first wife, Margaret Christiansen, later married theatrical producer Harry Frazee, one time owner of the Boston Red Sox, best remembered for selling Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees.

MV5BODk1ODA1NTc1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzgwNzgyMQ@@._V1._SX97_SY140_.jpgMV5BMTkwMzExMDEwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzAxODEyMg@@._V1._CR0,0,580,580_SS100_.jpgMV5BMTkzNjk4ODc0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE4MDcxMg@@._V1._CR0,0,580,580_SS100_.jpgMV5BMTc5MjE1Nzc2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk3MTgxMg@@._V1._CR84,0,580,580_SS100_.jpgMV5BMTIzMjA2MjExOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTkyNTM1MQ@@._V1._CR0,0,346,346_SS100_.jpg

Plot summary for The Lost City (1935) from IMDB:

After a series of electrical storms disrupts the world, electrical engineer Bruce Gordon develops a machine to trace the cause of the disasters. He discovers that the source is in central Africa and, backed by the nations of the world, sets out on an expedition. Bruce learns that the disturbances emanate from an area called the Magnetic Mountain.

But unknown to our hero and his pal Jerry, the Magnetic Mountain also contains a super-advanced secret city ruled by the tyrannical scientific wizard named Zolok, who has unleashed the electrical fury threatening civilization as part of his plan to conquer the world. Zolok has under his control a brilliant inventor, Manyus, Manyus' beautiful daughter Natcha and an army of giant African slaves, who follow the dictates of a strongman, Appolyn, and Gorza, a dwarf.

I don't think I have ever seen "The Lost City". Some of those old movies show up on Ted Turner's network and I try to watch them when they do. I saw one of the superhero serials on TCM on Saturday afternoons but I guess they stopped that. I did see parts of the Phantom Empire a while back. It was an early funky sci fi western with Gene Autry.

I was a big Hopalong fan as a kid. I watched the show and had the guns and hat. But I never had the bicycle. He was the master of merchandising. He seems kind of scary when I see him today. He had a funny laugh and was too well dressed to be a cowboy.

bb

Short of breaking the bank, I can now read the story I've been dying to read for a few years. I hadn't realized it'd been reprinted :D

I didn't know it was either! I was drooling over an original the other day. Is the story fun?

I thought so ;)

Futuro1.jpg

Futuro2.jpg

Futuro3.jpg

Futuro4.jpg

Futuro5.jpg

Futuro6.jpg

Futuro7.jpg

Futuro8.jpg

Futuro9.jpg

Futuro10.jpg

Futuro11.jpg

Futuro12.jpg

Futuro13.jpg

Futuro14.jpg

Futuro15.jpg

Ad for gahoon.

COMICAD_gahoon.jpg

Please tell us that you have one, BangZoom.

While you're at it, you might as well mention that you played it in the Miles Davis Quintet.

Has anyone ever seen one?

Jack

P. D. Q. Bach to Stokely Carmichael?

Please tell us that you have one, BangZoom.

Sure, Jack. I have one. :baiting:

Unfortunately the reed is missing so we've been using it as a straw. (shrug)

gahoon.jpg

gahoonad.jpg

Yeah, I figured. Looks like you got the special Time Machine version made out of Teflon.

I hope the Pons Con Jam Band had a gahoon player.

Ozone Park, NY!

Jack, probably the 1 in 10 that takes more than 10 minutes

3253183601_c7c8a6140f_o.jpg

This would be kind of fun to own. A portrait of Carl Barks by Al Hirschfeld is a unique item.

The Hirschfeld theater in NYC has several of these portraits of actors on the walls.

It would be nice to have a portrait honoring a cartoonist.

bb

From the Heritage catalog and I probably will be outbid anyway.