• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Looking through some more strips from the Golden Age, I ran across the good looking Connie by Frank Godwin. I was more familiar with Godwin's art on Rusty Riley as these were reprinted (or were they new stories ?) in the Four Color series and Godwin's style is quite distinctive. So, I was happy to encounter info about his run on Connie. Most reference books overlook his work on that strip. In fact, Coulton Waugh never mentions it in his book The Comics :o even though the strip ran from 1927 to 1944.

I am now trying to run down some of the continuity b/c the 2 references to the strip I have seen are conflicted in their evaluation. Both (Markstein's Toonopedia and Horn's Encyclopedia) celebrate the strip for featuring Constance Kurridge (read: "Courage"), a.k.a. Connie, for being ahead of its time by featuring a young independent female adventurer strip (Connie was an aviator and ran her own detective agency after her parents' fortune disappeared with the Crash) and even later on became a sci-fi strip with time and space travel.

Horn is more generous in his appreciation of the strip's quality than Markstein who finds the scripts to be wanting. All the more to make me curious.

The strip did run in France pre-War but jumped around several weeklies for children and so ended being published under no fewer than 4 different names!!

They were:

Cora in Le Journal de Mickey

Diane Detective in Hop-là! and in Robinson

Liliane in L'Aventureux and

L'extraordinaire Aventure de Rosie Platt in Jeudi :screwy:

Sorry for the crappy scan -

79069.jpg.bf28a6cef6695910828d167540271880.jpg

... and for comparison's sakes, here are the 2 splashes by Ramsey and Severin. Now, that's a tough call to compare b/c even though the Severin splash is more dynamic, we know it's a blatant swipe so that in that light, Ramsey's does a better job of establishing the setting and the players. Your call -

Totally awesome imagery. I recently picked up an original Classic Comics earlier this year which I posted here. Classic Comics 11

I used to read these as a kid and had forgotten how much fun they were. I really wanted to start picking up some of the originals and when I saw that Red Melvin (our good Dentist!) had one for sale I picked it up on the cheap.

I want to pick up some others like Frankenstein and possibly Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer. Last of the Mohicans looks like a good one too and I do need to read it as I could never get through that book my Sophmore year of high school. I remember things taking a turn for the weird that year as I started to read Lovecraft instead!

... and for comparison's sakes, here are the 2 splashes by Ramsey and Severin. Now, that's a tough call to compare b/c even though the Severin splash is more dynamic, we know it's a blatant swipe so that in that light, Ramsey's does a better job of establishing the setting and the players. Your call -

Totally awesome imagery. I recently picked up an original Classic Comics earlier this year which I posted here. Classic Comics 11

I used to read these as a kid and had forgotten how much fun they were. I really wanted to start picking up some of the originals and when I saw that Red Melvin (our good Dentist!) had one for sale I picked it up on the cheap.

I want to pick up some others like Frankenstein and possibly Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer. Last of the Mohicans looks like a good one too and I do need to read it as I could never get through that book my Sophmore year of high school. I remember things taking a turn for the weird that year as I started to read Lovecraft instead!

I like the Frankenstein cover.

bb

3186732118_e0b23e6fae.jpg

2629088565_54828c3658.jpg

3416558928_4b9a486a57_o.jpg

and Oliver Twist

2593198835_89a1ce95f0.jpg

bb

and Oliver Twist

2593198835_89a1ce95f0.jpg

There we go! I love the line drawing covers on these early books. What I really love was their free form logos on the very early numbers before they got more consistent with the Classic Comics logo at the top of the books.

Also, look at the last "S" in COMICS in the logo, looks like the artist was is a rush to finsh as it looks a little off compared to the rest of the letterforms! Probably a rush job.

bb

and the Last of the Mohicans.

3510465737_2f64998654.jpg

There we go! I love the line drawing covers on these early books. What I really love was their free form logos on the very early numbers before they got more consistent with the Classic Comics logo at the top of the books.

Also, look at the last "S" in COMICS in the logo, looks like the artist was is a rush to finsh as it looks a little off compared to the rest of the letterforms! Probably a rush job.

I put another Classic in the above comments which seemed appropriate. The art is not as good as some other issues but it tells the story and has an old time look about it.

Yes, another great cover and once again those early books have a free flowing spirtit and looseness to them that the later books seem to lack. Great cover, thanks for posting!

2594037696_1c54923e07_b.jpg

Yes, another great cover and once again those early books have a free flowing spirtit and looseness to them that the later books seem to lack. Great cover, thanks for posting!

2594037696_1c54923e07_b.jpg

This one is fantastic and someone else seemed to think so as they noted, "Keep!"

3524141282_3486dbd7d1_b.jpg

I posted this on another thread but it is related to a theme that BZ initiated, comics in the comics. C-M is doing the Continental.

Edited by BB-Gun

:bump:

Just keeping the greatest thread in the history of the Internet alive... (thumbs u

wait just one dern tootin second there mister... are you saying that my recipe for sneaker soup is not the greatest thread in the history of the internet (shrug)

I read probably the first half of this thread with great attention to detail when it first appeared, not so much since.

Did Bangzoom ever post the biggest dawgs? Action1, Detective 27, Marvel Mystery 1?

I read probably the first half of this thread with great attention to detail when it first appeared, not so much since.

Did Bangzoom ever post the biggest dawgs? Action1, Detective 27, Marvel Mystery 1?

I believe there was a group shot with a tec 27 in it, but no action 1 or marvel 1 that I recall (shrug)