• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I admire a lot of art that is found in the early Fawcett comics.

This Rocket Car from Master Comics reminds me of early Timely work.

Is there a more similar cover than this?

3571957554_5a4fbd355f_b.jpg

3571957276_4c0c22e3de.jpg

The Wizard also had a cool car.

3147797351_bc79495046.jpg

I read probably the first half of this thread with great attention to detail when it first appeared, not so much since.

Did Bangzoom ever post the biggest dawgs? Action1, Detective 27, Marvel Mystery 1?

I believe there was a group shot with a tec 27 in it, but no action 1 or marvel 1 that I recall (shrug)

thanks, Rick! (thumbs u

I read probably the first half of this thread with great attention to detail when it first appeared, not so much since.

Did Bangzoom ever post the biggest dawgs? Action1, Detective 27, Marvel Mystery 1?

I believe there was a group shot with a tec 27 in it, but no action 1 or marvel 1 that I recall (shrug)

thanks, Rick! (thumbs u

:)

Bangzoom, Bangzoom - where for art thou, Bangzoom?

I think once a year he goes on holiday down here in Florida. I'll go look for him. :D

woo hoo

last sighting was more than a month ago (shrug)

I think Bang Zoom aka Toby Tyler ran away with the circus.

bb

I loved Toby Tyler! Nice reference, BB.

last sighting was more than a month ago (shrug)

I think Bang Zoom aka Toby Tyler ran away with the circus.

bb

I loved Toby Tyler! Nice reference, BB.

BZ is a big cirus fan. I guessed that he is working as the ring master for the Zumbini Circus or some related job.

bb

I liked these collectible Toby items too.

3592398605_943e414bda.jpg

3592398115_9fe2273e14_o.jpg

I think BangZoom is on extended leave :cry:

Maybe if we close our eyes and clap our hands as loud as we can, BZ will come back.

Or we can post nifty giant robot covers until BZ comes back out of the archives with another pile of musty old (BZ usually finds pristine) paper collectors items.

3600675098_e1789e274f_b.jpg

I cleaned this scan up a bit. It was from GA.UK

I think BangZoom is on extended leave :cry:

Maybe if we close our eyes and clap our hands as loud as we can, BZ will come back.

Or we can post nifty giant robot covers until BZ comes back out of the archives with another pile of musty old (BZ usually finds pristine) paper collectors items.

3600675098_e1789e274f_b.jpg

I cleaned this scan up a bit. It was from GA.UK

I usually figure things out after I have seen them three or four times. There is probably a lot of information about Richard Sprangs early work but I didn't remember that he did Power Nelson. I thought the robot cover might be by Richard Briefer since he also did work published in Prize. However, Richard Sprang seems a likely artist since he was responsible for the early Power Nelson stories. Nifty stuff. Both of them are favorites. And we need to see more.

bb

I've been watching "Nosferatu" and "Vampyr" over the last few weeks. Given how many times big apes and robots seem to have appeared in comics in the 1930s, I am kind of curious about what the first appearance of a vampire or first mentioning of Dracula in a comic book might have been?.. I tried a search on the forum but couldn't find an answer.

newfun06.jpg

New Fun #6

The Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe website offers the following info:

New Fun Comics #6 (October 1935): [The Vampire Master: Part 1]

More Fun Comics #7 (January 1936): [The Vampire Master: Part 2]

More Fun Comics #8 (February 1936): [The Vampire Master: Part 3]

More Fun Comics #9 (March-April 1936): [The Vampire Master: Part 4]

I'm guessing that the above stories were probably among the earliest comic books published with a vampire storyline.

Read all about Doctor Occult: Link

According to JGB's Whose who, Shuster's influences were Roy Crane; Alex Raymond; Milt Caniff. I guess his style looks more like Crane which Scrooge pointed out, but these other guys influenced perspectives, backgrounds and story telling. Or maybe Shuster just enjoyed reading work by Raymond and Caniff or looking at the pictures. I know I do.

bb

I noticed this GIF somewhere. I guess they are doing a remake of Star Wars.

3602980561_1208f6f698_o.gif

Help, Help, Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope

(Just noticed that Hammer was posted by Comix4fun.) Sorry about the lift but it seemed robot related at the time.

Edited by BB-Gun

I guess I have liked robots since I first saw Robby.

3600704088_7eb98e9510.jpg

Or maybe it was Anne Francis that I liked?

What's not to like? :applause:

Here's a shot of Robbie gettin' his drink on, which he actually does in the movie...and Anne of course.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FP5.jpg

FP6.jpg