• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Speaking of fanzines, Mr. Door Tree posted a batch of scans that he and Marble River made of his collection and I was knocked out by the Don Newton covers.

Here are a couple he did for RBCC and thanks again to DT and MR for the scans.

3674261166_5c878806dc_b.jpg

3673452555_207c0514fe_b.jpg

3674247438_0669b07044_b.jpg

Love this Luthor cover too but maybe I got this ad mixed up with one of the other fanzines. Fans may have thought that things were complicated by the OSPG but it helped provide information about the hobby and stabilize prices. Well maybe not that stable 30 years ago.

bb

3674344768_8f55534247_o.jpg

And a special scan for the 4th of July. Minute Man knew how to celebrate.

Fawcett superheroes were classy compared to Fox and Timely but not as popular to collect these days.

People don't remember these guys but perhaps DC should bring some of them back again.

3684860565_a289eef9dc_o.jpg

Original scan by Marble River and cleaned up a bit with photoshop.

Fawcett superheroes were classy compared to Fox and Timely but not as popular to collect these days.

People don't remember these guys but perhaps DC should bring some of them back again.

Isn't DC bringing back some of the Quality guys (again ...)

Rescuing this from Page 2.

I recently picked up a complete run of Golden Funnies to get some Don Dixon strips but I find that Tailspin Tommy is also a nicely illustrated strip. Here's the bottom panel of the May 3, 1931 Sunday :cool:

82257.jpg.abfb33b809403511a1aab58310557f77.jpg

BB, I was looking through a box of my old fanzines the other day and found a copy of Star-Studded Comics #1 (September 1963).

starstudded1.jpg

3572164040_1b71f7fc9f.jpg

Another Texas Trio publication added to my collection. Cover by Buddy Saunders

2731988931_c734e7a80d.jpg

2732818832_55c1f46980.jpg

2700034484_61d47ea025.jpg

I love the old adventure strips. :applause:

It's a shame so many of them have been forgotten over time.

Hi BZ,

nice to see you around.

The funny thing is that when I looked up Tailspin Tommy in 3 references (The Comics by Waugh, Yellow Kid by Harvey and 100 Years of Strip by Horn), the art by Forrest was univocally derided as barely adequate and scoffed at for the poor figure handling and here I called it "nicely illustrated" lol

The interesting part to me was to see such a detailed (as it is) adventure strip ahead of Tarzan and other contemporaries. As we move away from the period and the "classics" are revered, we fail to place them in correct historical perspective. The sequence I am reading while lumbering plot-wise is generally attractive to the eye, esp. in the large format of The Golden Funnies. Heck, even Tracy looks so much better at close to actual size than in the recent reprints.

Now, I wish I had access to some reprinted Tim Tyler's Luck :sorry:

This was posted in the WC. Forgive me if you've already seen it.

That really is strange ???

I think it's a German-made film intended for the population of France. The point is that the Allies are talking of liberating France while bombing it. It was probably intended to undermine goodwill towards Britain and possibly to undermine support for the resistance.

Hi BZ,

nice to see you around.

The funny thing is that when I looked up Tailspin Tommy in 3 references (The Comics by Waugh, Yellow Kid by Harvey and 100 Years of Strip by Horn), the art by Forrest was univocally derided as barely adequate and scoffed at for the poor figure handling and here I called it "nicely illustrated" lol

The interesting part to me was to see such a detailed (as it is) adventure strip ahead of Tarzan and other contemporaries. As we move away from the period and the "classics" are revered, we fail to place them in correct historical perspective. The sequence I am reading while lumbering plot-wise is generally attractive to the eye, esp. in the large format of The Golden Funnies. Heck, even Tracy looks so much better at close to actual size than in the recent reprints.

Now, I wish I had access to some reprinted Tim Tyler's Luck :sorry:

I love how you can't say Tracy :insane:

This was posted in the WC. Forgive me if you've already seen it.

That really is strange ???

I think it's a German-made film intended for the population of France. The point is that the Allies are talking of liberating France while bombing it. It was probably intended to undermine goodwill towards Britain and possibly to undermine support for the resistance.

I wasn't familiar with that cartoon. Thanks for posting it, BH. :applause:

Here are a couple of relevant links.

Link1

Link2

In The World Encyclopedia of Comics, Maurice Horn described Forrest's artwork as being awful. :P

I like it. (shrug)

tailspintommy.jpg

In The World Encyclopedia of Comics, Maurice Horn described Forrest's artwork as being awful. :P

I like it. (shrug)

Glad I am not the lone loony out there. I know I have a rep to give props to most artists but Horn's a little harsh. Here's a non-adventure half-Sunday of the strip and I've seen far worse by a long shot :o

82319.jpg.897de907dde5ebcc37ed8e2d952835b1.jpg

I like it. (shrug)

tailspintommy.jpg

That's certainly a handsome panel.

I like it. (shrug)

Glad I am not the lone loony out there. I know I have a rep to give props to most artists but Horn's a little harsh. Here's a non-adventure half-Sunday of the strip and I've seen far worse by a long shot :o

Man, I really like his work. I wasn't familiar with it until now.

Looking on Wikipedia, it says that Tailspin Tommy began in 1928. So why doesn't it get credit as the first adventure strip since its debut predates Tarzan and Buck Rogers? :shrug:

I like it. (shrug)

Man, I really like his work. I wasn't familiar with it until now.

Looking on Wikipedia, it says that Tailspin Tommy began in 1928. So why doesn't it get credit as the first adventure strip since its debut predates Tarzan and Buck Rogers? :shrug:

Probably b/c whoever decides those things didn't like Forrest's art :insane:

Joking aside, it's probably because Tailspin is thought of as an aviation strip (same as SkyRoads and others) that got its start one year almost to the day after Lindbergh crossed to Paris. When it started Tailspin was focusing on relating the daily experience of commercial aviation: transporting freight, ... (think Bright Eyes or even Steve Canyon for that matter) instead of being pure adventure, it isn't until the '30's that the strip took its turn to adventure.*

* - info based on Horn's description of the series content.