• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

That is quite a cover on the Catman 20...amazing!

Quinlan did some really nice work on Catman. Palais did a lot of work too but I prefer his horror and crime stories. Schomburg did at least one or two other covers for Continental but most of his best work was for Timely and Nedor.

Edited by BB-Gun

Catman30GA.jpg

nice ... but warm up the old scanner and let us see the others :wishluck:

:foryou: Rick, BB's Catman are going to have to suffice. Whatever other issues I have are packed away in a box somewhere, I know not where, and I'm not motivated enough to spend the time downstairs in the cold looking for them. :eek:

Maybe in the spring. (shrug):shy:

2072894031_782f670e6b.jpg

Great comics, BB. :applause: I'd forgotten Schomburg had done some of the covers. :blush:

Schomburg's Catman cover doesn't get the attention that LB Cole covers do but his Terrific and Suspense covers get raves.

Edited by BB-Gun

2072893671_1f7f4e5e70_b.jpg

LB covers get a lot of attention thanks to CBM..and his terrific art.

BZ,

I think your fans want to see those near mint treasures that you store in your basement.

My junkie comics may look good in the scan but many of them have received a photoshop treatment. This one has a little damage on the spine which was deleted. Purchased from the back of a pickup truck at the flea market. Thanks whoever.

The Palais cover in the previous post was from a comic that was displayed on the wall in a Baltimore comic shop. Thanks Jake.

The Catman 20 was purchased from TomG. Thanks Tom.

Edited by BB-Gun

2072893671_1f7f4e5e70_b.jpg

LB covers get a lot of attention thanks to CBM..and his terrific art.

BZ,

I think your fans want to see those near mint treasures that you store in your basement.

My junkie comics may look good in the scan but many of them have received a photoshop treatment. This one has a little damage on the spine which was deleted. Purchased from the back of a pickup truck at the flea market. Thanks whoever.

The Palais cover in the previous post was from a comic that was displayed on the wall in a Baltimore comic shop. Thanks Jake.

The Catman 20 was purchased from TomG. Thanks Tom.

Great books BB. I wish I could find books like that at a flea market.

there was a thread (maybe even in this thread) where we saw quite a few examples of this... imitation is the nicest form of flattery (unless copyrighted lol )

A cover swipe is one thing, but I think most artists use some form of reference for what they draw whether it be a photo or something else. I lived with an artist and his prof. would always convey how important it would be to find the right reference source. These are some fantastic examples. I wonder how many more there are out there?

Rick, I remember seeing that thread as well. I distinctly remember the Action 8 and I think an Action 2 was found as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl Barks is well known for using National Geographic photos as reference, but at least once he was obviously 'inspired' by a Hal Foster panel (in The Golden Helmet).

The Mummy's Ring (Four Color 29, 1943) has panels drawn almost straight from the October 1941 National Geographic and the inscriptions in the Pyramids comes from an earlier issue. The McDuck castle at Dismal Downs (FC 189, 1948) has elements of three different castles (including Macbeth's Cawdor) from NG issues the year before. Etc etc. I can scan some from the Barks Library if anyone is interested.

500th post :banana:

there was a thread (maybe even in this thread) where we saw quite a few examples of this... imitation is the nicest form of flattery (unless copyrighted lol )

A cover swipe is one thing, but I think most artists use some form of reference for what they draw whether it be a photo or something else. I lived with an artist and his prof. would always convey how important it would be to find the right reference source. These are some fantastic examples. I wonder how many more there are out there?

Rick, I remember seeing that thread as well. I distinctly remember the Action 8 and I think an Action 2 was found as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl Barks is well known for using National Geographic photos as reference, but at least once he was obviously 'inspired' by a Hal Foster panel (in The Golden Helmet).

The Mummy's Ring (Four Color 29, 1943) has panels drawn almost straight from the October 1941 National Geographic and the inscriptions in the Pyramids comes from an earlier issue. The McDuck castle at Dismal Downs (FC 189, 1948) has elements of three different castles (including Macbeth's Cawdor) from NG issues the year before. Etc etc. I can scan some from the Barks Library if anyone is interested.

500th post :banana:

Would love to see the Barks reference material either here or in the Duck thread!

I can scan some from the Barks Library if anyone is interested.

:popcorn:

See below for the Barks - Foster comparison -

Who can blame Barks for swiping that! He was surrounded by some pretty amazing artists at the Walt Disney Studio and he must have seen some amazing things. Last year I picked up an original sketch by Hovarth who was considered one of the great artists at the studio. He was very old school European though and didn't fit in with the other artists so he didn't stick around. Too bad; as his work is phenomenal although very dark. I will try to post someday.

Yesterday, I got to view the painting that Walt Disney used to introduce America to Disneyland on his TV show. A couple amazing things about this painting by Peter Ellenshaw is that it was literally painted on a board torn off the wall, such was the speed with which it was needed and the transitory nature of the work at the studio. Another wild aspect of the painting is that they added flourescent paints to it so that under black light it appeared as though Disneyland was illuminated as at night. We got to view it under both normal and black light conditions.

You can actually see it in the following You Tube video and then understand how they achieved the effect which is quite good for it's day:

Speaking of Foster, I watched the 1954 Prince Valiant flick streamed from Netflix a couple of weeks ago. The scenario had nothing to do with Prince Valiant :screwy:

It was still pleasant enough to watch while watching the baby. It was bizarre to see Robert Wagner in the Val signature page boy hair :insane: and hilarious to see Victor McLaglen all made up (complete with braids) as Voltar lol and I found Debra Paget stole the show from Janet Leigh (playing Aleta).

<3

debrapaget.jpg

Who can blame Barks for swiping that! He was surrounded by some pretty amazing artists at the Walt Disney Studio and he must have seen some amazing things. Last year I picked up an original sketch by Hovarth who was considered one of the great artists at the studio. He was very old school European though and didn't fit in with the other artists so he didn't stick around. Too bad; as his work is phenomenal although very dark. I will try to post someday.

Another of the European artists who found employment at Disney was Albert Hurter. He was the first of the studio's "inspirational sketch artists."

As noted in one online biography:

"His job was to draw and sketch, to play with images and ideas. They'd tell him, "The Three Little Pigs" and he'd be off for days doodling and drawing and designing and the results were quickly passed to the other departments to be mined for ideas. His sketches were the foundations for most of the Disney films of the Thirties. He designed characters and settings for Silly Symphonies, Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Reluctant Dragon, and even films that were to be made long after his death."

He died of a weak heart caused by rheumatic heart disease in 1942. In his will, he arranged for the publication of a book on his work.

alberthurter.jpg

Another of the European artists who found employment at Disney was Albert Hurter. He was the first of the studio's "inspirational sketch artists."

As noted in one online biography:

"His job was to draw and sketch, to play with images and ideas. They'd tell him, "The Three Little Pigs" and he'd be off for days doodling and drawing and designing and the results were quickly passed to the other departments to be mined for ideas. His sketches were the foundations for most of the Disney films of the Thirties. He designed characters and settings for Silly Symphonies, Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, Reluctant Dragon, and even films that were to be made long after his death."

He died of a weak heart caused by rheumatic heart disease in 1942. In his will, he arranged for the publication of a book on his work.

alberthurter.jpg

Very interesting! I had not heard of him. Walt really had an eye for talent.

Speaking of Foster, I watched the 1954 Prince Valiant flick streamed from Netflix a couple of weeks ago. The scenario had nothing to do with Prince Valiant :screwy:

It was still pleasant enough to watch while watching the baby. It was bizarre to see Robert Wagner in the Val signature page boy hair :insane: and hilarious to see Victor McLaglen all made up (complete with braids) as Voltar lol and I found Debra Paget stole the show from Janet Leigh (playing Aleta).

<3

debrapaget.jpg4300645948_0a4b7ed388_o.jpg

I still prefer Janet Leigh and I liked the movie. Lots of merchandise was released to take advantage of the strip and movie. Games, toys and puzzles and etc.

2288277063_338d17b054_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun