• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

2121877195_558983ce48_b.jpg

BZ,

Your collecting story seems similar to mine. Did you get a copy of Alter Ego after contacting Jerry or did you get a copy of On the Drawing Board?

Jerry sent me a copy of On the Drawing Board.

I think the first Alter-Ego I bought was #5. hm

4334785506_6e83550f5e_b.jpg

I still have my original copy of Alter-Ego #4 but it has been taped and restapled to hold it together. These are Jerry's scans.

4334803342_938a5a40b2.jpg4334803400_c65a4420c8.jpg

4334803438_f011fbc12f.jpg4334168415_a8a6c972ea.jpg

By the way, I don't consider myself a pioneer. I think I would be considered one of those city dudes who preferred to read about the wild west in a Penny Dreadful. Raymond Miller, Roy Thomas, Jerry, Howard Keltner, Don and Maggie Thompson, Biljo White, Grass Greene, Ron Foss, Mike Vosburg, Len Wein, Robert Butts and many others really built Fandom (settled the Wild West) while the rest of us read about it in their fanzine articles and letter pages.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Alter-Ego #5 was one of my favorite fanzines because it had Ed Lahmann's article "So you want to collect comics".

This must have had an effect on you, BZ, since your collection is so diverse and has so many of the goodies that he lists. I tried to follow Ed's philosophy but ended up with a lot of bits and pieces because some of the books were rare or too expensive. But the idea was there and I didn't collect just All Stars or Timely's.

4334910406_afcf6be749_b.jpg

4334168365_02d43c7c11_b.jpg

4334910468_7cbf8c832d_b.jpg

The last page list some single series like Tarzan #20 and Four Color 10. But we can add Four Color 9, 29 and 62 to the list.

Thanks again Ed.

Edited by BB-Gun

Fascinating collector's list, BB. :applause:

Batman # 4 - Easier to get than the earlier one, and has some fine art by Bob Kane ; some of his best.

Agree here - Batman 4, along with Amazing-Man 6, are probably my two favorite GA comics.

At least Ed mentions Centaurs, though he is rather harsh ("just one good magazine")!

Batman # 4 - Easier to get than the earlier one, and has some fine art by Bob Kane ; some of his best.

Agree here - Batman 4, along with Amazing-Man 6, are probably my two favorite GA comics.

At least Ed mentions Centaurs, though he is rather harsh ("just one good magazine")!

I agree with the comment about Centaur but some people would rather collect Timely to pick up those Everett and Burgos stories. I am still trying to buy Batman 4 but I do have a 3 and 5.

I think Ed reviewed his article a few years ago for Alter Ego and he mentioned that he had left out a few companies. By checking the Keltner Index, I can see a few that had a lot of Superheroes like Quality, Nedor, Hillman, Lev Gleason, Street and Smith and Continental, need a list.

For Continental I would recommend:

Catman 15-32, lots of Quinlan art and a few LB Cole covers in that batch

Captain Fearless, 1 or 2, silly costume but nice work by Quinlan and a Ms. Victory back up

Captain Aero 13-16, 21-26 Cole and Quinlan art again, never enough

Suspense 4-8, hard to find, get an issue 3 if you can afford it

Terrific 4 or 5, both have great covers

Cyclone 1-4, I don't have any of these but the scans I have seen look pretty good

Contact 10-12, more great covers by Cole

Edited by BB-Gun

I have purchased replacement copies of Alter-Ego 5, 6, 8-11 in the past 10 years but only have scans of AE 7.

This copy is hand-colored by the original owner who was better than I at staying between the lines.

4334133855_8101bc6367.jpg4334876002_2abfc0cc0d.jpg

Northern California - the small collection was discovered by Brian Peets (of A-1 Comics) and consisted of mostly non-superhero items. He held onto the books for about a dozen years before finally bringing them to market several years ago.

Without a doubt, some of the freshest and whitest books I have ever seen.

I'm a huge fan of Chas Quinlan - here's Captain Fearless #2

CaptFear2.jpg

3173334413_830029851d.jpg

Oops, I corrected my Fearless mistake in a Fury when I saw your post.

Here is my issue 1 which is a little beat up but the paper is nice inside.

I think the Street and Smith issues could be sorted through a little and some of the better covers could be real treasures.

Later issues of the Shadow, like volumes 7-9, have art by Powell which is fun to have but the early issues, V1 N1-6, have pulp reprints for covers and they look great. Get one from each era and pick up a V2 #3 if you see it on sale cause it has the first Supersnipe story.

2232177136_77f81399b2_b.jpg

Buy Supersnipes from volume 2 or 3 but they are all pretty good. The most collected issue are volume 1 #8 and #9, which have Hitler covers.

2848706566_5bc3306b9d.jpg

I would like to have an Army and Navy issue too, with a Jack Farr cover.

Look for Super Magician covers that strike your fancy and Red Dragon issues. Red Dragon 7 and 8 have especially good covers.

Air Ace is also a Street and Smith title with some nice Sci Fi covers but the racist cover for V2#2 has been more interesting as a collectors' item.

3150999756_26caeba693.jpg

Doc Savage covers from the first volume are pretty neat and the cover of Vol 2#7 is fantastic. I would pick up a couple if I could.

My apologies for phrasing these remarks as if the Board members were novice collectors but I am trying to keep with the original purpose of Ed's article. Consider it time traveling like Billy Pilgrim in Slaughterhouse Five.

Edited by BB-Gun

Alter-Ego #5 was one of my favorite fanzines because it had Ed Lahmann's article "So you want to collect comics".

This must have had an effect on you, BZ, since your collection is so diverse and has so many of the goodies that he lists. I tried to follow Ed's philosophy but ended up with a lot of bits and pieces because some of the books were rare or too expensive. But the idea was there and I didn't collect just All Stars or Timely's.

4334910406_afcf6be749_b.jpg

Thanks for the scans, BB. :applause:

It's been many decades since I read Ed's article and I have to admit I don't have any memory of it, but I subscribe 100% to his collecting philosophy.

I like having a little bit of everything, rather than focusing on a character, title, publisher, artist, or whatever.