• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

buddlsmaller.jpg

Incredible couple of pieces of art you've picked up. :o

I love the two illustrations you've shared with us. Did the gallery where you purchased the two pieces share any details about the artwork's history?

I wasn't familiar with Budd so I googled his name and found this recent piece written about him in Allan Holz's blog: Link

The J.R. Bray interview that is referenced in the blog is fascinating reading.

I can't wait to find out what you're going to turn up next. lol

Thanks. The gallery didn't really have any information for me (they thought both pieces were by the same artist) I have found both the Ewer and the Budd were sold for $100 each :o at an auction of autos and auto memorabilia not too long ago. That's probably why the gallery had them for such reasonable prices. There was another Budd in that auction, but this gallery didn't have it, so I'm afraid this particular well has dried up.

Holz's blog and the other link were my sources for the little bit of information I found about Budd. I'll keep looking. There was an inventor by that name around the mid 1900s--I wonder if that was him.

It seems to be the place for all things old and eclectic.

Let's see more eclectic examples from everyone's collection. :luhv:

I have lots of unusual stuff.

This is an unused French game board chromolithograph (22 x 30") from the early 1900's that was found in a printer's archive.

rollercoaster.jpg

rollercoaster2.jpg

rollercoaster3.jpg

Anyone have anything to share?

It seems to be the place for all things old and eclectic.

Let's see more eclectic examples from everyone's collection.

I have lots of unusual stuff.

This is an unused French game board chromolithograph (22 x 30") from the early 1900's that was found in a printer's archive.

rollercoaster.jpg

rollercoaster2.jpg

rollercoaster3.jpg

Anyone else have anything to share?

That's very cool! (thumbs u

Sadly I don't have much else to share other than comics and old magazine/newspapers. (shrug)

The same source turned up another Puck original--this Leighton Budd piece from 1905. Budd seems to be significantly less well-known than Ewer. He briefly had his own strip in 1906 called Every Move a Picture, Yours Truly the Tumblebug Brothers, and was a director and animator for Bray Studios in the 1910s.

buddlsmaller.jpg

Here is a large listing of Leighton Budd mentions for anyone who would like to do further research about Budd's career: Link

I appreciate that, BZ. I've cobbled together bits and pieces. There are some unusual patents in his name, including a device that mimics human expressions. I find pretty much zero on life, death, descendants, etc. I knew about the bar book and the murals. If you read between the lines, it seems like he might have been a rather colorful character.

I appreciate that, BZ. I've cobbled together bits and pieces. There are some unusual patents in his name, including a device that mimics human expressions.

I didn't see that one.

I found a listing for a scooter in 1950 (Patent 2522744) and a headrest for cosmetic use in 1953 (Patent 2634435).

I have some collectors stuff that may be a little eclectic. I got puzzles. Always buy them if I can't find any comics.

4399399949_d039d6e275_b.jpg4399400007_d12f69e08f_b.jpg

And I have some board games. I have two Superman games, one Prince Valiant, a little Orphan Annie and a few bits and pieces.

And I have these Leeds Bisques. Mickey, Dopie, Donald Dumbo and Thumper.

2321886920_d02b2f8398_b.jpg2322938526_c2ce39b3a7_b.jpg

Rings and badges

Edited by BB-Gun

I have a Death Ray. Is that eclectic or too scientific?

2542888931_faf31492cc_o.jpg

I have a doll collection. Well they were gifts from my mother and should go to my daughter when she decides to take them.

4400236926_b3188d7285_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

4400273542_67a447ec26_b.jpg

By the way, this is probably well known but new to me. Craig Flessel did RC Cola ads for the back of DC comics for a while. I guess Johnny Mack Brown was a spokesman for the soda producer. Johnny was another football player that thought he would take his run at making westerns. It worked out well for Duke.

I like the Death Ray!

1395888-topshelftoycase.jpg

It's similar to the pieces in the Buck Rogers Space Ranger Kit. The Little Nemo bell ringer at the front is the only one like it I've ever seen. There is a more common one with Nemo and Flip, but I've found no other example of one with Nemo by himself.

I've cobbled together bits and pieces. There are some unusual patents in his name, including a device that mimics human expressions. I find pretty much zero on life, death, descendants, etc.

Here is Ancestry.com's search results for Roy Leighton Budd: Link