• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'm with you BB, the content generally sucks, but you have to give it to the writers, who came up with such highly colorful titles month after month. Even so, apologists who claim that they are what pulps evolved into conveniently neglect the fact that the pulp writers were incomparable, while the magazine writers were journeymen at best. But above all, what is missing from the magazines but fully present in the pulps at all times is - not high adventure - but high romance! And I dont mean Mills and Boone!

Something, some essence, was lost in the war years...

I just rec'd a small batch of Amazing Stories bedsheets, and one book is rather odd: February 1931 (Leo Morey spaceman cover), it has vol 5 #10 on the spine but vol 5 #11 in the indicia, and it has slick (non-pulp, Life magazine-like) white pages.

I've checked the book and there's nothing else out of the ordinary that I can tell (shows the usual signs of age and publication), so does anyone know if this particular issue is just an anomaly on this title?

I just rec'd a small batch of Amazing Stories bedsheets, and one book is rather odd: February 1931 (Leo Morey spaceman cover), it has vol 5 #10 on the spine but vol 5 #11 in the indicia, and it has slick (non-pulp, Life magazine-like) white pages.

I've checked the book and there's nothing else out of the ordinary that I can tell (shows the usual signs of age and publication), so does anyone know if this particular issue is just an anomaly on this title?

My copy has a middle section, of about 40 pages, that was printed on higher quality paper than the rest of the issue. Are all of the pages in your magazine printed on non-pulp paper?

My copy has a middle section, of about 40 pages, that was printed on higher quality paper than the rest of the issue. Are all of the pages in your magazine printed on non-pulp paper?

Yes, all.

Interesting puzzle we have here with paper variations and the book being misnumbered. hm

Yes, all.

Interesting puzzle we have here with paper variations and the book being misnumbered. hm

???

snatchtrouble.jpg

This story caught my eye.

I like the authors staccato style of writing and his cast of characters.

snatchtrouble2.jpg

"Snatch Trouble" by Donald Hogarth

My name is Donald Hogarth and I'm a cartoonist. So what? - Hollywood is full of cartoonists - but my boss is John Brass - creator of 'Georgie the G-Man,' the most popular comic strip in the done-gone world. John Brass ex-Department of Justice man - lost his right arm in a rum-running battle back in '28. He draws with his left arm and I do the inking.

The color scheme and design remind me of pulps produced almost a decade after this one. Very cool and unusual!

This is a neat pulp.

saucymovietales193704.jpg

Saucy Movie Tales (April 1937)

As expected, my first SPICY arrived today! The muted colors are so well chosen. Ward was such an amazing artist.

SPICYDETECTIVEjuly36.jpg

Great pulp, Ryan. :applause:

I think Ward's color choices are especially striking during this time period; and his cropping of the action draws you right into the scene.

He's always been a favorite of mine.

My copy has all pulp pages. It is strange, isn't it? Maybe they ran out of pulp paper partway through the run and switched to the nicer stock.

AmazingStoriesVol5No11Feb1931.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

My copy has all pulp pages. It is strange, isn't it? Maybe they ran out of pulp paper partway through the run and switched to the nicer stock.

That's just what I was thinking - can only imagine someone getting into trouble by having to switch to the higher paper stock to complete the print run. How strange.

Superb copy, Todd - from last weekend's pickups?

snatchtrouble.jpg

Snatch Trouble by Donald Hogarth

My name is Donald Hogarth and I'm a cartoonist. So what? - Hollywood is full of cartoonists - but my boss is John Brass - creator of 'Georgie the G-Man,' the most popular comic strip in the done-gone world. John Brass ex-Department of Justice man - lost his right arm in a rum-running battle back in '28. He draws with his left arm and I do the inking.

snatchtrouble2.jpg

"Snatch Trouble" and "those animated columns of inviting flesh" :o

Great cover, btw.

I had no idea the interiors were so, uh ... profusely illustrated.

Profuse would not be the word I would use when trying to describe the attire of the female characters.

Did that issue have a comic story inside?

The issue I picked DID have a comic story, but its not quite as spicy as I hoped for. :(

That's just what I was thinking - can only imagine someone getting into trouble by having to switch to the higher paper stock to complete the print run. How strange.

Superb copy, Todd - from last weekend's pickups?

Yes, it's a new one :cloud9:

saucymovietales193704.jpg

snatchtrouble.jpg

"Snatch Trouble" by Donald Hogarth

The author of the above story was unknown to me so I did a little digging and learned that Donald Hogarth was actually a pen name of Henri Weiner (1907-2002).

I was hoping to find more John Brass stories and it turns out that Weiner's first published book was a John Brass novel. Lucky me.

crimeonthecuff.jpg

Crime on the Cuff

crimeonthecuff2.jpg

Weiner wrote more than 100 books during his life, mostly under the pseudonym of Stephen Longstreet .

In the early 1930's Weiner was an art editor at Fawcett Publications where he created many covers for GOLFER AND SPORTSMAN magazine.

golferandsportsman.jpg

He also had many illustrations published in other magazines.

collegehumor.jpg

College Humor

radioland.jpg

Radioland

All of the illustrations in SAUCY MOVIE TALES were drawn by Weiner.

snatchtrouble.jpg

His grandaughter has a created an informative website about him: Link