• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks for all the scans, Scrooge.

I didn't know Jon Small had worked for Dell in the early 40's.

I'm more familiar with the work he was doing about a decade later.

jonsmall.jpg

jonsmall2.jpg

jonsmall3.jpg

..and another excellent example of an artist who knows how to use spot blacks in place of line! It is interesting to me as an artist myself that first of all the illustrator must plan where the blacks will go, then create the right shape in the context of the whole design. Lines then almost become a secondary medium.

The viewer then must decipher the shapes - and the whole design hangs on that knife edge. Colours actually get in the way of this - they belong in a separate, more literal visual universe, unless they are used in a non-naturalistic way, for example, as in Fawcett horror comics, where they become a compositional element in expressing mood.

lf.jpg

This may seem like a huge leap, but if we look at Degas' monotypes which begin as a sheet of glass covered in black ink which is then gradually removed by cloth, fingers, etc; it's easy to see that lines can be done away with altogether, or can become shapes themselves - or by digging in to the black can be brought back mysteriously as white lines, which carry the image to the edge of abstraction.This lures the viewer ever more deeply into deciphering the rules of depiction set forth in the image. The image becomes a maze which entraps the eye - and mind - of the beholder.

Degas_monotype_Sleep.jpg

Uuuhhh - there I go again! Should have just said, "Nice images BZ!"

Edited by alanna

Speaking of colors, the GA period is obviously very hit and miss, with way more misses than hits, so that it's refreshing when you stumble upon a story that uses colors effectively. Not only is Jesse Marsh very literal in his pencils, conveying in my opinion, his conceptualization of the action clearly and directly but he benefits at times greatly by some good coloring jobs. I was reading an early issue of Tarzan the other day where Tarzan and a search party are in pursuit through the day of kidnappers and the skylines are progressively getting darker and it adds to the drama of the story. Just that gradual dusking of the light in the story, an easy enough touch to put in place, made the story stand out versus other stories of the same period.

BZ, I apologize in advance is this is a repeat question (I haven't been on the Board much lately), but were you familiar with this thread? I'm curious on your opinion of The Fantasy Fan...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4990196#Post4990196

Thanks for directing my attention to the thread. I haven't been around for a few weeks so I missed it.

I've read a few issues of The Fantasy Fan and loved them. Congrats to Jeff for having added such great items to his collection. :applause:

Thanks BZ! :)

A.C. McClurg printed a total of 10,000 first edition copies of "Tarzan of the Apes", with approximately 5000 of the 1st state, 2500 of the 2nd state, and 2500 of the 3rd state.

The book shown below is the 1st state, first edition.

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

That's a beautiful copy. A TotA 1st is still something I need to add to the collection one ofthese days.

Happy Birthday ERB. cheers.gif

I loved Tarzan when I was a kid.

I read all the Ballantine paperbacks, watched the old movies on TV, and I most certainly enjoyed Dell Comic's Tazan series.

I've been out of pocket foe I couple of days so I missed this. Happy belated ERB!!! :applause:

AllStoryCavalierWeekly1914-05-16fc.jpg

ASAnnual1927fcsm.jpg

BlueBook1930-05fcsm.jpg

Sparkler037Church.jpg

Funnies36fcsm3.jpg

Hi-Spot02GDfcsm.jpg

"now grown over with grass " .... as he takes a hit lol

I don't understand.

That's probably because you are stoned.

doh!

A.C. McClurg printed a total of 10,000 first edition copies of "Tarzan of the Apes", with approximately 5000 of the 1st state, 2500 of the 2nd state, and 2500 of the 3rd state.

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

Wonderful looking copy BZ!

Here's mine...

erb044.jpg

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

Here's mine...

erb044.jpg

I noticed that both of these beautiful copies have no dust jacket. Did the book come with one?

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

BangZoom,

I was marvelling at the quality of your book, and recalled I had one. I checked and found out, well uh not really, as I have the Grosset and Dunlap edition. doh!

I then went way way back and read pages 1 to 77 of this thread and found out about the collection of a thousand or so rare high grade COMIC books you purchased back in 1973. Now I just have to read about 1400 more pages to completely catch up. :popcorn::cloud9: Thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

Edited by frozentundraguy

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

BangZoom,

I was marvelling at the quality of your book, and recalled I had one. I checked and found out, well uh not really, as I have the Grosset and Dunlap edition. doh!

I then went way way back and read pages 1 to 77 of this thread and found out about the collection of a thousand or so rare high grade COMIC books you purchased back in 1973. Now I just have to read about 1400 more pages to completely catch up. :popcorn::cloud9: Thanks for sharing. (thumbs u

Tarzan was reprinted many times. I only have the Burt editions (first USA).

2302334888_4e05e2139a_z.jpg

and I don't have the original dust cover.

6112212688_77ac38a348_z.jpg

tarzanoftheapes.jpg

tarzan1914.jpg

Here's mine...

erb044.jpg

I noticed that both of these beautiful copies have no dust jacket. Did the book come with one?

Copies in jacket are extrememly rare. I've heard estimates that less than 50 djs survive. Here is the one from the HA archives:

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6025&lotNo=37120

THat's a great copy as well, David. I really need to get one of these. It's too bad the Jerry Weist one is a 2nd state.

Edited by Theagenes