• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

nice story - what is that from?

The story was originally published in Uncanny Tales #9 and then later reprinted in Where Monsters Dwell #26, which is where these scans are from.

thank you

nice story - what is that from?

The story was originally published in Uncanny Tales #9 and then later reprinted in Where Monsters Dwell #26, which is where these scans are from.

thank you

I knew I had the story but couldn't remember which issue.

UncannyTales_9.jpg

And starting next week and running through the weekend is WorldCon in San Antonio. Since it's in Texas they're having a ton of REH-related programming, exhibits, and events. I'll be there and will be on a bunch of panels. It should a blast. I've never been to a WorldCon before so I'm really excited to be attending the granddaddy of all cons.

Oh-h.

Sounds exciting.

The last Worldcon I attended was the 1974 con held in Washington, DC.

I hope you take plenty of photos. :wishluck:

Okay so I never did get around to posting any Worldcon photos. It was a lot of fun! I'm getting too old to do that much partying in such a short timespan and it took my a week or two to recover. part of that was because i went to the Tampa Bay Comic Con immediately before and only had a day inbetween to rest. Tampa was a blast too. I moderated a panel with Hugh Howey, the NY times bestselling author of the post-apocolyptic Wool series. Hung out with him alot and he was a really cool guy.

eXmzgCU.jpg

Hung out at the Frazetta table a good bit too, talking with J. David Spurlock from Vanguard Productions. He's the one that edits all those great art books like the Wally Wood one, the new Brundage book, Frazetta sketch book. Frank Brunner was there and i got to hear him tell some cool stories. Met Holly Frazetta and her daughter:

Ec4sP7D.jpg

Had dinner with Chad Coleman (Tyreese from WD), Spurlock and others. Chad was very cool -- really intelligent guy and former Shakespearean actor. He and my wife really hit it off discussiing education and poverty (she's a hs librarian in rural Georgia). Here's David and me with Chad:

GfpnImY.jpg

Then it was off to San Antonio for Worldcon!

Edited by Theagenes

When i got to San Antonio the first thing I did was meet up with Patrice (Xaltotun here on the boards). Patrice is the editor of the Del Rey Conan books and if you've seen him posting in the pulp thread you know what great books he has. We hooked up Bill Cavalier from REHupa and the three of us went out to dinner with local San Antonio boardie Roger (Weird Paper). roger took us to a great little tex-Mex joint far away from the tourist trap we were stuck in, and then we all went back to his place to ogle his insane art collection.

Sorry for the awful cell phone pics:

U6HRdPR.jpg

This is BWS Conan page:

gWWufKO.jpg

And a Thunda 1 page! :o

d25wYEO.jpg

One of the first things we had to do was set up the Robert E. Howard exihibit. Here's Patrice contemplating our set up.

mM1iySe.jpg

Must of the "artifacts" on display were from my collection (except the movie props).

t2ipL3R.jpg

And except of the original Conan typescript on loan from the Cross Plains library.

bX6H9yK.jpg

I was on a ton of panels. This one is the Weird Westerns panel, with (right to left) REH scholar Rusty Burke, me, author Scott Cupp, Joe R. lansdale, and some other dude.

xnwgbrm.jpg

This was another REH panel but I forget which. Boxing maybe? With REH biographer Mark Finn, me, and Patrice (Xaltotun).

abUUcA0.jpg

Edited by Theagenes

And speaking of drinking...

The after parties!

Hanging with George:

Pp8T1h2.jpg

Drinking with the hound:

eLNIpP2.jpg

And I even got to hold Josh Whedon's Hugo award for the Avengers. Thank god I didn't drop it in my drunken state.

aIJJDgW.jpg

Great Stuff, Jeff. They had a Westercon in San Diego in 1966. Harlan Ellison was Guest of Honor. He was walking around quizzing people, and he approached 14-year-old Pat. As I recall he was stunned by my knowledge and devotion. Can't recall which con it was when I rode in an elevator with Philip K Spoon (I was still quite young)- I smiled at him, he smiled back at me, and the metal box we were in blasted through the hotel roof and headed out into space, but not a word was said as none were needed.

thanks for sharing and pulling the memory trigger.

Pat

I heard Harlan read his Catman story at the writer's clinic held at Michigan State many years ago. He was very entertaining and he read well. If he had been taller, he would have been a leading man in Hollywood.

Edited by BB-Gun

Great Stuff, Jeff. They had a Westercon in San Diego in 1966. Harlan Ellison was Guest of Honor. He was walking around quizzing people, and he approached 14-year-old Pat. As I recall he was stunned by my knowledge and devotion. Can't recall which con it was when I rode in an elevator with Philip K Spoon (I was still quite young)- I smiled at him, he smiled back at me, and the metal box we were in blasted through the hotel roof and headed out into space, but not a word was said as none were needed.

thanks for sharing and pulling the memory trigger.

Pat

Cool. :grin: