• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The Tarzan print is the same image use for the rare Tip Top Annual.

Tip Top Annual???

I don't think I'm familiar with that one. hm

Well, people call them "annuals" but they aren't really. I mean the bound reprint volumes that were sold at the World's Fair.

I have enjoyed collecting Golden Age premiums and ephemera for many years. One of my favorites is the notice that Dell Comics sent out to tell someone that they had received a gift subscription for Christmas. They are most common for WDC+S, but I have also seen them with the New Funnies characters and others. While I think many of them are rarer than the comics they were associated with, not many people collect them so the prices are fairly reasonable.

Tip Top Comics sold bound volumes of the first three years of the title at the 1939 World's Fair. They are quite rare today, and are sometimes referred to as annuals. I don't have any of them, but I keep looking.

I have enjoyed collecting Golden Age premiums and ephemera for many years. One of my favorites is the notice that Dell Comics sent out to tell someone that they had received a gift subscription for Christmas. They are most common for WDC+S, but I have also seen them with the New Funnies characters and others. While I think many of them are rarer than the comics they were associated with, not many people collect them so the prices are fairly reasonable.

Tip Top Comics sold bound volumes of the first three years of the title at the 1939 World's Fair. They are quite rare today, and are sometimes referred to as annuals. I don't have any of them, but I keep looking.

I thought I saw an ad for those bound volumes somewhere and found it in a Single Series comics.

11802814053_eec7130a04_b.jpg

3370928957_83f34f0eaf_b.jpg

I would like to get more of those subscription premiums too. I have a few books and this circus giveaway.

I think the soft cover Story Hour book was given with subscriptions and the hard cover was sold separately.

3376640960_b9125187a1.jpg

I thought I saw an ad for those bound volumes somewhere and found it in a Single Series comics.

I didn't know there was a Comics on Parade one! :o

Metro had one or two when last I checked, but they weren't cheap.

Edit: Looks like they're gone.

Edited by Theagenes

Neat. :applause:

Did they create any new artwork for the books sold at the World's Fair or add additional pages that indicates where the books were sold?

I have a bound volume of Super Comics #'s 13-24 that I've owned for over 40 years and I was wondering if it might have been sold at the fair.

The ad suggests that they put one of the gift pictures on the back of each World's Fair volume while the standard bound volumes I have seen over the years are always left blank. This would apply to the Tip Top Comics volumes but I have no idea if they did the same thing to the Comics on Parade volumes.

Oops! I just looked at the ad for Volume 1 ($6,500) on the Metropolis web site and the gift picture seems to be on the front cover with no advertising on it. Maybe they put it on the back cover, too?

Edited by Yellow Kid

Speaking of Flash Gordon and the 1939 New York World's Fair...

one of the amusement rides was this Flash Gordon ride to Venus.

This is a model of the ride but I haven't found actual photos yet.

flashride_zps870f5384.jpg

The ride was described in the April 1939 issue of Mechanix Illustrated:

As a matter of fact, one smart inventor has devised a ship that takes passengers to Venus, which is part of the way to the moon. Unlike the other rides, his rocket ship never really leaves the ground, but for all the sensation accompanying the trip, you would never know it. This latest is “Flash Gordon’s” own rocket ship, designed by George H. Messmore and Joseph Damon. It is 80 feet long and seats 125 people. Once filled, the doors are closed, levers are turned, switches pulled, “anti-gravity” and forward-speed controls are manipulated and suddenly the ship is in darkness. As you watch from the observation tower the ship seems to enter outer space. Familiar constellations flash by and presently the ship lands on Venus. Another door is opened and the passengers alight on a strange planet, where animated images of prehistoric animals and iron-clad “Martians” present a fascinating show. The flight through space is actually a movie flashed on the screen, but the illusion is effective.

Speaking of Flash Gordon and the 1939 New York World's Fair...

one of the amusement rides was this Flash Gordon ride to Venus.

This is a model of the ride but I haven't found actual photos yet.

flashride_zps870f5384.jpg

Wow!!

I've never heard of that attraction.

It looks terrific!

The March 1939 issue of Popular Science gives a detailed description of the Flash Gordon ride at the NY World's Fair. Based on the descriptions, it seems this attraction would be an inspiration for future attractions at Disneyland and other amusement parks.

flashride1_zps3a964906.jpg

An excerpt from the article about the World's Fair rides:

At the opposite end of the amusement zone from the parachute tower, a "rocket ship" that never leaves the ground, takes 100 travelers at a time on an imaginary trip to the planet Venus. A hidden mechanism throws the passengers backward in their seats as if the ship were actually taking off, and motion pictures projected upon a circular "window" show the fair grounds dropping away. Blasts from air jets, movies of stars passing the window, and the constantly vibrating seats enhance the dramatic effect of the supposed trip through space.

When the craft has "landed", a passenger alights from a door opposite the rocket ship's entrance to find himself in a world of fantasy. Venus is portrayed as a planet still in a primeval state, colonized by space-voyaging Martians and roamed by animals like the earth's prehistoric monsters. A pathway makes the circuit of the "Venusian jungle", which sight-seers view through a "one-way" screen. This ingenious device preserves the illusion of reality by making spectators on the far side of the path invisible. At one point in the circuit, the rocket-ship visitors come to a "Martian headquarters". Here weirdly costumed Martians and mechanically animated models of giant beasts enact episodes of from the adventures of Flash Gordon, interplanetary traveler of fiction.

I would really like to see pictures of the Martians and monsters!

It looks terrific!
I agree! Kudos to jpex for posting it.

On a side note, I was at Disneyworld last year and the revamped "Mission to Mars" ride" was my favorite. They spin you around in a centrifuge similar to what is used for pilot and astronaut training and it's very intense compared to the original.