• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
21 21

18,204 posts in this topic

Did you know that the story was originally serialized in the February - August 1899 issues of Argosy?

not really unexpected - were they running illustrations with such serials back then?

and thanks for Coblentz poem- this one better & looks like Fox enhancement

Edited by pcalhoun

Spent time at UNZ site this afternoon. Read many poems from WT 1943-1953 (was especially hoping to find ones enhanced by Fox). The PDF (pretty dumb format) is frustrating to the appropriator (I know- that’s the point…). Images are elusive and the text captures seemed to be OCR, better than zero. So took this Coblentz (9/44) and embedded it (thanks to artist Richard Bisley whose work I’ve musticated) just because…

tothemoon.jpg

The April-June issues are bedsheet sized.

They are so large they didn't fit on my scanner.

talesofdangeranddaring192904.jpg

Tales of Danger and Daring (April 1929)

I can't stands it no longer.

What on Earth are the "Red Tins of Mystery"?

I'm married with a culinarily challenged wife, but even she hasn't served up a "mystery can".

I think.

What's it all about?

The April-June issues are bedsheet sized.

They are so large they didn't fit on my scanner.

I'm married with a culinarily challenged wife, but even she hasn't served up a "mystery can".

I think.

What's it all about?

and while we are asking questions about stories. Is the cover story about vampires or zombies? I read a review that said zombies (The Walking Dead) but cover illo made me think it was vampires.

3378493077_418bce83e2_b.jpg

I've never seen those Tales of Danger and Daring before. Very cool looking books. :applause:

Thanks.

Pre-Internet they were were very difficult to find.

I'm not sure if in today's world anything has changed in that regard.

Anyone know?

Spent time at UNZ site this afternoon. Read many poems from WT 1943-1953 (was especially hoping to find ones enhanced by Fox). The PDF (pretty dumb format) is frustrating to the appropriator (I know- that’s the point…). Images are elusive and the text captures seemed to be OCR, better than zero. So took this Coblentz (9/44) and embedded it (thanks to artist Richard Bisley whose work I’ve musticated) just because…

tothemoon.jpg

Nice job. :applause:

I wasn't familiar with the work of Richard Bisley so when I read the poem I was picturing the artwork of Chesley Bonestell. :)

talesofdangeranddaring192904.jpg

I think.

What's it all about?

Now you have me curious. hm

I'll have to investigate.

and while we are asking questions about stories. Is the cover story about vampires or zombies? I read a review that said zombies (The Walking Dead) but cover illo made me think it was vampires.

3378493077_418bce83e2_b.jpg

Yeah, the cover might suggest otherwise, but the Hoffman story is definitely about zombies.

Jeff Shanks in his book, Zombies from the Pulps , reprinted "The Walking Dead" and 19 other zombie stories if you, or anyone else, would like to read some great stories in this genre that were originally published in the 1930's.