• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

thanks, the UNZ listing didn't come up for me (I've seen other pulps from them), but bookmarked home page and will explore. The poem only so so, but hey. UNZ didn't have Mar 47 with SAC poem 'On a Weird Planet'...

I can take a photo of it if you want to see it.

Continuing along with our undersea adventures...

We don't want to forget "The Green Girl" by Jack Williamson which was originally published in the March and April 1930 issues of Amazing Stories.

amazing193003.jpg

amazing193004.jpg

greengirl.jpg

greengirl2.jpg

Atlantis - by Clark Ashton Smith

Above its domes the gulfs accumulate.

Far up, the sea-gales blare their bitter screed:

But here the buried waters take no heed—

Deaf, and with welded lips pressed down by weight

Of the upper ocean. Dim, interminate,

In cities over-webbed with somber weed,

Where galleons crumble and the krakens breed,

The slow tide coils through sunken court and gate.

From out the ocean's phosphor-starry dome,

A ghostly light is dubitably shed

On altars of a goddess garlanded

With blossoms of some weird and hueless vine;

And, wingéd, fleet, through skies beneath the foam,

Like silent birds the sea-things dart and shine.

Edited by pcalhoun

USPS tracking says this has arrived in California for Monday delivery. Frank Aubrey is Francis Atkins, who also wrote as Fenton Ash. As Ash he authored a series of ‘boy’s adventure’ (old UK term) books, including ‘A Trip to Mars’, and ‘The Black Opal’, the latter set in the Sargasso Sea. Even more than Atlantis the Sargasso held my imagination as a child since it contained relics from all eras… Well, ‘Queen’ sets Atlantis in the Sargasso, and also seems not written more specifically for children, so I’d thought about picking up the ‘Opal’, but decided this should be first.

A Queen of Atlantis by Frank Aubrey Lippincott 1900 illustrated by D. Murray Smith. Cover scan is seller’s pic, interiors gleaned from web.

QueenofAtlantis.JPG

Queen may mark the end of my Atlantis quest (‘less BZ finds something HOT). Since mushroom jungle input was slowing my 2015 goal was to add some late-19 early-20C hardbacks to the collection, not necessarily to go compulsively underwater. The Atlantis angle was a way to get started…

Edited by pcalhoun

I love them both – maybe you could just keep all the original cloth hardcovers on one side, not mixed with the more recent dust jacketed ones… hm

That‘s usually what I do when I sort my books and magazines: I try to be strictly cronologic, or have a mixture of chronologic approach and historical/thematic one.

I just realized you were a regular contributor to the Comic Book Marketplace! :o

I bought the first issues when they came out, and immediately felt how good the publication was but never get around to read them. I still have them all in my "comics essays" box and I will eventually dig them out at some point.

thanks, the UNZ listing didn't come up for me (I've seen other pulps from them), but bookmarked home page and will explore. The poem only so so, but hey. UNZ didn't have Mar 47 with SAC poem 'On a Weird Planet'...

Weird Tales (March 1947)

weird%20tales194703.jpg

onaweirdplanet.jpg

Congrats on finding another great book for your collection. :applause:

Did you know that the story was originally serialized in the February - August 1899 issues of Argosy?

USPS tracking says this has arrived in California for Monday delivery. Frank Aubrey is Francis Atkins, who also wrote as Fenton Ash. As Ash he authored a series of ‘boy’s adventure’ (old UK term) books, including ‘A Trip to Mars’, and ‘The Black Opal’, the latter set in the Sargasso Sea. Even more than Atlantis the Sargasso held my imagination as a child since it contained relics from all eras… Well, ‘Queen’ sets Atlantis in the Sargasso, and also seems not written more specifically for children, so I’d thought about picking up the ‘Opal’, but decided this should be first.

A Queen of Atlantis by Frank Aubrey Lippincott 1900 illustrated by D. Murray Smith. Cover scan is seller’s pic, interiors gleaned from web.

QueenofAtlantis.JPG