• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Apparently Bob Dylan also likes them.

Did you ever notice that his 1986 album, Knocked Out Loaded's cover art was appropriated from the January 1939 issue of Spicy Adventure?

spicyadventure193901.jpgknockedoutloaded.jpg

Cover illo by Harry Parkhurst

I never knew that's where that cover art was from. Very cool!

I think Daughters of Doom would have made an even better album title.

lol

It certainly would have been very evocative.

Apparently Bob Dylan also likes them.

Did you ever notice that his 1986 album, Knocked Out Loaded's cover art was appropriated from the January 1939 issue of Spicy Adventure?

spicyadventure193901.jpgknockedoutloaded.jpg

Cover illo by Harry Parkhurst

I never knew that's where that cover art was from. Very cool!

I think Daughters of Doom would have made an even better album title.

BZ: That's really cool, thanks for the lesson.

P5: I always thought a better album would've made a better album. Not Bob's finest moment...

From Wikipedia:

Sidney Riesenberg

Sidney Harry Riesenberg (1885 – 1971) was a landscape painter and illustrator from Chicago best known for his posters for the United States Marine Corps and the Liberty bond programs.

Biography

Riesenberg was born in 1885 in Chicago. He was educated at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where he was recognized for the quality of his oil compositions. He later moved to Yonkers in 1905 to continue his career. In the early 1930s, he began doing illustration work for magazines.In the 1930s and 1940s, his work was often featured at venues such as the National Academy of Design and in organizations such as the Allied Artists of America. Riesenberg was also the vice president of the Yonkers Art Association. Riensenberg died in 1971 in Massachusetts.

Works

Of Riesenberg's work, his contributions during World War I are most noted and he is described as "one of the greatest illustrators of the World War I era."

200px-Liberty_Bond_-_12.jpg200px-National_Jewish_Welfare_Board_WWI_poster.jpg

He produced many posters for the Marines in addition to posters advertising the Liberty Loan campaign during World War I. One of Riesenberg's most notable works is his 1918 World War I-era poster, Over the Top for You, which depicts a young doughboy clutching the American flag. With its bold illustration and concise text, like many war posters of the time, Over the Top for You encouraged the public to support its military by purchasing liberty loans. Amongst other posters, it was selected to display in the Smithsonian American Art Museum under the exhibit, Over the Top: American Posters from World War I. Riesenberg also created several posters for the United States Navy, one of which, titled Demoncracy's Vanguard, illustrates Marines landing from a boat to initiate an offensive. Others depicted uniformed members raising the flag and walking amidst a background of warship.

Riesenberg was also created artwork for several publications such as covers for Harper's and illustrations for The Saturday Evening Post. He was also noted for his work depicting the Old West.

I wanted to post the 3rd issue of Magic Carpet since it has a St John cover, but I figured since it's only a 5 issue run I'd post them all. :)

Magic Carpet #1

Vol 3 No 1 (continuing where the cancelled Oriental Stories left off)

Jan 1933

Brundage cover

Magic%2520Carpet%2520Vol%25203%2520No%25201%2520Jan%25201933.jpg