• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Weird Tales, Oct 1925 (1st Jules de Grandin by Seabury Quinn)

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%25206%2520No%25204%2520Oct%25201925.jpg

Great group of books you've added to your collection, Todd. :applause:

I'm impressed with how many issues from the 1920's you've found with the overhang in such great shape.

Are you trying to collect the entire run or are you just collecting certain issues?

Weird Tales, Oct 1925 (1st Jules de Grandin by Seabury Quinn)

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%25206%2520No%25204%2520Oct%25201925.jpg

Great group of books you've added to your collection, Todd. :applause:

I'm impressed with how many issues from the 1920's you've found with the overhang in such great shape.

Are you trying to collect the entire run or are you just collecting certain issues?

Thanks BZ. Yes, the getting the overhang in nice shape is great when you can do it. I also have several very nice copies from Jack Darrow's collection, but the overhang was trimmed away on all of them. Still, they were so nice I decided to keep them as my main copy.

My focus is 1926 to 1938, and I have 143 of the 152 issues in that time period. I do pick up occasional issues from 1925 but they are very hard to find. I still need the July issue with Howard's first published work. And I do occasionally pick up post-1938 issues when I find a nice copy for a reasonable price, but they are much lower priority to me. By that point, Howard and Lovecraft were pretty much gone from the pages, and the quality of the covers decreased dramatically. Still, it wouldn't be all that difficult to complete that latter part of the run, so I'll probably do it eventually. It's the early part, 1923-25 that will be challenging.

It’s really sweet to see the Phantom in a comic book! (thumbs u

The Phantom sometimes gets credit for being the first costumed hero to ever appear in comic books.

Let's take a look at his first appearance which was in Ace Comics #11 (February 1938).

phantom.jpg

ace11phantom.jpg

How dare they! :sumo:

I didn't give that website permission to publish a photo of my library. :mad:

library-2.jpg

...after this thread, I'd thought you were larger than life.... not in need of scaffolding...... but that is a nice cozy Library. Is thisall the collection, or is some in storage ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u