• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

You stumped me with that one, BB.

I wonder if Paratrooper could've guessed it?

I noticed that one of the copyright notices on the cover states that the contents are copyrighted by Centaur Publications.

What's in that issue?

Incidentally, congratulations on owning such a neat comic.

Tough quiz!

Gerber and Overstreet do list the book, even though it's only a remaindered comics cover.

Interesting that they both list it as Elliot Publications, but GCD has it under Gilberton, with the note "Published by Elliot Publishing (Imprint of Gilberton)". Is this how Gilberton got its start? Published a year before the first Classic Comics.

Jack

2079818616_1e66645277_b.jpg

Answer to the quiz in case anyone was looking.

bb

I've seen a few of these up for sale, I think there is a CGC'd copy up on CLink. There is one Paratrooper cover on the Double Comics from 1940 and two different ones from 1941. I snagged on ebay one from 1941 for a very reasonable price.

2082119076_054c5114af_b.jpg

This is a page from the Double Comic. The story title is the "Space Patrol and the Cannibal Monster of the Pygmy Planet". I think the story is from Amazing Mystery 24 but I notice the contents are not consistent with the GCD index. Perhaps an error was made. Can anyone confirm the source of the original Wolverton story?

Bruce

PS The story kind of reminds me of life in the corporate world but at the time (1939) it probably was more related to the appeasement of Germany before WWII.

This is a page from the Double Comic. The story title is the "Space Patrol and the Cannibal Monster of the Pygmy Planet". I think the story is from Amazing Mystery 24 but I notice the contents are not consistent with the GCD index. Perhaps an error was made. Can anyone confirm the source of the original Wolverton story?

Bruce

Bruce, I checked the page against the Wolverton story in my copy of AMF 24.

They're the same. (thumbs u

AmazingMysteryFunnies24GA.jpg

BZ,

Those are nice Supers in very nice condition. All of the anthology issues had great interior art but relately short stories (4 pages usually). It is a great place to go for that old Alley Oop, Flash Gordon or Tracy story. I kind of liked the Gasoline Alley stories too. This is probably to small to read but it summarizes the first 12 years of the strip (at least the part with SkeeZix).

bb 2081419067_3dcaf90936_b.jpg

I kind of liked the Gasoline Alley stories too. This is probably to small to read but it summarizes the first 12 years of the strip (at least the part with SkeeZix).

2081419067_3dcaf90936_b.jpg

I'm a big fan of Gasoline Alley.

I currently have "Walt and Skeezix" checked out from my local library. It reprints all the daily strips from 1921 & 1922.

2083042053_791eebdc31_b.jpg

Presto Martin just looks so much like Bruce Wayne that I am always expecting to see him change into the Batman. I don't think he continued very long (SS 6-17). I found the scan on line and it needs a little work. Check out the name of the guy that gets plugged in the last pane.

bb

2083042053_791eebdc31_b.jpg

Presto Martin just looks so much like Bruce Wayne that I am always expecting to see him change into the Batman. I don't think he continued very long (SS 6-17). I found the scan on line and it needs a little work. Check out the name of the guy that gets plugged in the last pane.

bb

Notice the "rat's" name is Biro. Coincidence?