• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

popeye.jpg

I know it's not as cool as Mr Bedrock's Popeye Pop-Up book, but you have to go with what you have. lol

NICE BZ!

You can't go wrong with any Segar-era Popeye product IMO. I would have a wall of stuff if I had the cash. I am settling for owning a few of the older POPEYE BLB's at the moment.

I think it's interesting that the cover states, "Introducing Eugene the Jeep."

Did he really make one of his first appearances in a coloring book?

According to Wikipedia, the Jeep automobile is the world's oldest sports utility vehicle (SUV) brand and it speculates that it was named after the cartoon character.

Here's an abbreviated excerpt from Wikipedia:

Eugene the Jeep was dog-like and could walk through walls and ceilings, climb trees, fly, and just about go anywhere it wanted; it is thought that soldiers during WWII were so impressed with the new vehicle's versatility that they informally named it after the character.

Great idea!

I was torn between that and the Gasoline Alley Sunday book but then I asked myself, "What would Bedrock do?". So I bought both. :cloud9:

Yeah. The day I checked that book out of the library you should have seen the face of the attendant

I have it checked out right now via an inter-library loan.

My wife went to the library to pick it up and she said the librarian was amazed at the size of the book. lol

I was torn between that and the Gasoline Alley Sunday book but then I asked myself, "What would Bedrock do?". So I bought both. :cloud9:

I'm also considering:

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend

buch-titel.jpg

Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries 1900-1969

51TP9WRHCRL._SS500_.jpg

and

The Comics: Before 1945 by Brian Walker

51XAADYZ3WL._SS500_.jpg

Does anyone, who has seen the books, have an opinion about them?

Are there any recommendations for any other books?

BZ, the Buck Rogers Pop-Up Book is magnificent!

As for the newer books for your stocking...we have had all the books you mentioned in the shop and I can honestly say that no book of the last twenty years has made as big of an impression on me as the Little Nemo book. It is absolutely beautiful!

I'm also considering:

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend

A friend went WILD over this book. (I hope it's the same edition.) I had read that the publisher may be running out of copies.

Art Out of Time: Unknown Comics Visionaries 1900-1969

I read it from the libary and really enjoyed it. My first look at Fletcher Hanks, so I'll always be grateful for that. If I remember right, I had to keep a magnifying glass nearby. The reproduction is good but sometimes too small. The price is dropping fast at Amazon. Headed for the remainders table?

and

The Comics: Before 1945 by Brian Walker

I haven't read it.

Does anyone, who has seen the books, have an opinion about them?

Are there any recommendations for other books of quality?

I'm reading Cartoon America: Comic Art in the Library of Congress now (library copy). Spotty, but the historical overview and inclusion of many editorial/political cartoons in contest is worthwhile.

Again, the price is dropping fast and it might get remaindered.

Jack

BZ,

I love the Pop-up books. I had a chance to buy them once at a flea market but I chickened out. I ended up buying a bunch of rings and badges from the same guy a few years later. I do enjoy my Tom Mix siren ring and my Capt Midnight decoder badge but missed out on the Pop-ups. Was there also a Terry and the Pirates Pop-up or a Wizard of Oz? Do you have the waddle books. Mickey Mouse or Oz? You must have the Laughing Dragon and Adventures of Tracy in all of those near mint BLB.

bb