• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Nice!!! That had me stumped. Looking up the Funnyman covers and going (shrug) was about as far as I got on this one.

I started with Funnyman, moved on to Federal Men ... then I had to work harder to get the right answer. This one was work, not knowledge.

Back to watching this -

51491-GuessWhat-1.jpg.09c35af13276d7adf7d69ad8c25cd237.jpg

I tried to see if that Gandy cartoon was on YouTube but didn't find it. Instead I found another TerryToons cartoon: Frankenstein's Cat related to this topic. This is a Mighty Mouse cartoon even though Mighty Mouse doesn't show up until 4 minutes into this 6 minutes cartoon :screwy: I even hesitate to post the link but then again this cartoon will show why the average TerryToons output is not highly regarded.

I tried to see if that Gandy cartoon was on YouTube but didn't find it. Instead I found another TerryToons cartoon: Frankenstein's Cat related to this topic. This is a Mighty Mouse cartoon even though Mighty Mouse doesn't show up until 4 minutes into this 6 minutes cartoon :screwy: I even hesitate to post the link but then again this cartoon will show why the average TerryToons output is not highly regarded.

I'm actually a fan of the old Mighty Mouse cartoons. He always shows up late. The crowd scenes with dancing, fun-loving mice are goofy as heck. The cats are always ridiculously over the top. And every once in a while Mighty Mouse sings!

(Plus, one of the first VHS tapes I ever got was an old Nostalgia Merchant compilation of Mighty Mouse cartoons that I played over and over on my 800 lb. Panasonic top-loading VHS player!)

After I saw BZ's poster last night I dug up my Terrytoons DVD and watched "G-Man Jitters" again ... not a classic, but pretty cool haunted house cartoon. Gandy smokes his dad's pipe and imagines he is a g-man. Lots of Frankenstein and ghost chase sequences.

There is a guy in SoCal (Jerry Beck I believe?) who has taken the time to transfer TONS of early Terrytoons films onto DVD. ... these are the type that were distributed by Castle Films in the 1940's, as home movies (early VHS/home video idea). I have ordered some, and they are pretty good!!! He has covered 1930 to 1946 era of Terrytoons ... very comprehensive.

You can order them through this website ... $25 each, and transfer quality is good, even if the actual film quality is scratchy. Remember, these may be the only DVD's of this material you'll find!! go to:

http://www.cartoonresearch.com/garagesale.html