• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

51286-kdffilchock.jpg

While I think it is very cool to have a re-creation done by a golden age artist, and I recognize the historic implications about such covers, I just don't get this cover at all. Honestly guys, it is just not good.

If you're referring to the childish look of the artwork, it is representative of the quality of the art inside the book.

I guess one is either charmed by the primitive talent displayed by many of the artists of that era, or you're not.

I like it. (shrug)

Master 47. Knew it was Capt Marvel Jr but forgot to look at Master Comics.

51286-kdffilchock.jpg

While I think it is very cool to have a re-creation done by a golden age artist, and I recognize the historic implications about such covers, I just don't get this cover at all. Honestly guys, it is just not good.

If you're referring to the childish look of the artwork, it is representative of the quality of the art inside the book.

I guess one is either charmed by the primitive talent displayed by many of the artists of that era, or you're not.

I like it. (shrug)

I hesitate to post art here for the above reason.

However, i find OA and chasing down (as my son puts it) eighty old plus artists to do re-creations of their work from the "Golden Age" (hmm...."The Golden Age" of comics) to be a thrill. I have lots of comics---but only one KDF cover by Filchock. Perhaps, your feeling is best summarized by Lilly Renee before she did the cover recreation of Planet 35 when I told her what I wanted. Her response? "Now, why on earth would you want that?"

Well, I get a great thrill from this sort of thing. Martin did this at the age of 95- seventy years after he drew the original cover. Although hard to believe there was life before Superman, there was. Publishers tried to separate kids from their dimes by whatever genre might be there. An age of innocence? Perhaps. But for me, to have the original artist re create something these many years later is a challenge as that generation ages. Filchock was a "big foot" artist (funny stuff) as opposed to a straight artist. As BZ says, I find it 'charming' and magical- dare I say "whimsical"? One day they will all be gone......but here is a link to that simplier day when the "Funny Pages" were really the "funny pages". It is a big world out there. This is I get to these guys who labored anonymously for the most part as opposed to the rock star artists of today.

Whatever floats your boat.

This does for me.

Jon

51286-kdffilchock.jpg

I like it. (shrug)

However, i find OA and chasing down (as my son puts it) eighty old plus artists to do re-creations of their work from the "Golden Age" (hmm...."The Golden Age" of comics) to be a thrill. I have lots of comics---but only one KDF cover by Filchock. Perhaps, your feeling is best summarized by Lilly Renee before she did the cover recreation of Planet 35 when I told her what I wanted. Her response? "Now, why on earth would you want that?"

Well, I get a great thrill from this sort of thing. Martin did this at the age of 95- seventy years after he drew the original cover. Although hard to believe there was life before Superman, there was. Publishers tried to separate kids from their dimes by whatever genre might be there. An age of innocence? Perhaps. But for me, to have the original artist re create something these many years later is a challenge as that generation ages. Filchock was a "big foot" artist (funny stuff) as opposed to a straight artist. As BZ says, I find it 'charming' and magical- dare I say "whimsical"? One day they will all be gone......but here is a link to that simplier day when the "Funny Pages" were really the "funny pages". It is a big world out there. This is I get to these guys who labored anonymously for the most part as opposed to the rock star artists of today.

This does for me.

Jon

Jon,

I think you know me well enough to know that I love ALL comics, not just superheroes. Half my collection is non-superhero and many of the comics predate the Centaur line.

I respect the hell out of all of the creators and have had, or curently have, many re-creations done by golden age artists. My comment was on the cover art for that particular book. His recreation is very faithful to the original, I just don't care much for the original, that was all I was trying to say. The way the logo intrudes into the art, the colors chosen, and the overall composition of the cover is just not my cup of tea. I was not comenting on the artistic ability of a 95 year old man, rather the art he did at 25.

I've collected original art on and off for years, as well as toys, premiums, books, BLB's, statues, you name it. I appreciate it all.

Bill

51286-kdffilchock.jpg

I like it. (shrug)

This does for me.

Jon

Jon,

I think you know me well enough to know that I love ALL comics, not just superheroes. Half my collection is non-superhero and many of the comics predate the Centaur line.

I respect the hell out of all of the creators and have had, or curently have, many re-creations done by golden age artists. My comment was on the cover art for that particular book. His recreation is very faithful to the original, I just don't care much for the original, that was all I was trying to say. The way the logo intrudes into the art, the colors chosen, and the overall composition of the cover is just not my cup of tea. I was not comenting on the artistic ability of a 95 year old man, rather the art he did at 25.

I've collected original art on and off for years, as well as toys, premiums, books, BLB's, statues, you name it. I appreciate it all.

Bill- no offense taken......i have been into this obscure area of collecting for so long. To tell you the truth, I held my breath not knowing what I was going to get (also Martin went in the hospital with congestive heart failure and finished it when he got out). I was extremely pleased with the outcome.

As you know Centaurs themselves have a relatively small but enthusiastic collecting core. I had Martin do one other for me Funny Pages 8- (before Centaur) a really humoreque and non-appealing cover. BUT it was the first cover he ever did....Ah..just call me sentimental....Plus I wish I had started this pursuit twenty years ago. To put it differently, I have this Centaur cover, Arrow 1, Amazing Man 15 done by the original artists ..... throw in my Gustavson "Fantom of the Fair" and some Ryan. Passes my 'tingle' test.

jon

Bill

Nice cover BZ!!! :grin:

Agreed. The coloring and design are very noirish -- which is a good thing. (thumbs u

I haven't even opened the manual yet. (shrug)

They come with manuals? Next you'll be telling me that my VCR came with an instruction book as well.

Just start pressing buttons. :baiting: