• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is readable from the Amarillo Daily News on Thursday, April 25, 1940. The Germans were checking in on Superman ... and somewhat surprisingly didn't like what they saw! :o

2319172865_ab6f1e7185.jpg2319985358_c8aacd647e.jpg

By the end of the war, Hitler was a joke. Superman fans got the last laugh. Their hero has outlived the Third Reich by over sixty years.

bb

Cool strip, seeing Hitler in a Superman costume is unreal! :eek:

Early Supeman strips are great. It is a little difficult to scan the strips due to size. Many strips like Flash and Tarzan were full pages but I haven't seen any full page Superman Sunday pages. I am happy with the halves which are still difficult to store.

2319076663_276e646773.jpg2319076923_b0d45e791e.jpg

I notice that someone supplied scans of Smash 24 splash pages which are circus stories. Great work by Jack Cole on Midnight. I think he did some nice stuff there which should be revisited. This one is for you BZ.

bb

2614673896_154f1902e0_b.jpg

2614674398_a6c7309b3c_b.jpg

And you don't see a lot of Wildfire reprints. Mooney did some nice work on this origin page from Smash 25.

bb

2614741650_6da719d1e5_b.jpg

I'd love to read that story! Great stuff that you're posting!

Here is the rest of the story and it has Nazi henchmen too (we hate those guys).

bb

2613991033_0df69df1a5_b.jpg

2614821708_a54c303b76_b.jpg

2613991951_b2128d4ee2_b.jpg

2614822464_0899576a7b_b.jpg

Jay,

I enjoyed that strip when I found it. I think you can buy a more complete reprint collection but I like the Sunday pages when I can find them. Powerhouse Pepper knew how to handle the "master race".

bb

2615015639_dbab3bcd26_b.jpg

I would have done the same. Hey, where's BZ been?

Flying out to buy Frazetta OA?

Who's selling?

I wonder if anyone has the old Nedor Frazetta work. He worked on a couple of strips while he was there. I enjoyed this giant tomato story that someone scanned.

bb

2615844616_a5c6f1deef_b.jpg

I seem to lose the color when I edit using Microsoft. I try to reduce the size of the scan and it causes different problems. I don't think this occurs with Photoshop although my version is slow but it is more efficient.

Jay,

I enjoyed that strip when I found it. I think you can buy a more complete reprint collection but I like the Sunday pages when I can find them. Powerhouse Pepper knew how to handle the "master race".

bb

2615015639_dbab3bcd26_b.jpg

Wolverton! :applause:

Love the swastikas on the butt! lol

I'm back from our family's annual sideshow tour. I think we played every small town between here and Dismal Hollow. lol

ZoomBros.jpg

Magazine distribution must be rather spotty in some of those hidden valleys.

I picked up these pulps off the newsstand in a country store in Skeeter Neck. :whistle:

talesofmagic.jpg

talesofmagic2.jpg

Tales of Magic and Mystery edited by Walter Gibson (author of most of the Shadow novels).

Issue #'s 1-5 (December 1927-April 1928).

The March 1928 issue includes H.P. Lovecraft's famous short story, "Cool Air."

...and what about those Classic Comics. I don't see any of those on this thread. Perhaps they were too late for the Campbell Collection or they are still tucked away.

classic14bcG.jpg

Back cover to Classic Comics #14. :baiting:

BZ, have you heard of John Vassos (illustrator and industrial designer)? If not, I'll post some illustrations from him at a later date. Art deco illustrations!!

I never heard of Vassos. (shrug)

(worship) However, I just Googled him and am mighty impressed with what I saw.

Please post as many examples of his work as you can. :)