• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Enoch Bolles (1883-1976) is probably best known for the covers he painted for Film Fun magazine. He produced over 200 covers for the magazine during a 21 year period.

He also did a lot of work for the spicy pulps.

bolles5.jpg

Gay Parisienne (March 1935)

Great covers BZ. I have seen a few Bolles' covers before but I only have a few issues of GP.

However, I was searching through some of the boxes to test my scanner hook up and thought you might want to see a few more early fanzines.

bb

2699215715_d43dacaef4_b.jpg

2700034484_61d47ea025.jpg

2699215713_da2af7cfe4_b.jpg

I love the orange sky. :gossip:

Pun?

Orange Skies

Jack

62521.jpg

No pun intended.

..but this gives me a rare opportunity to show off some of my Arthur Lee LPs.

love.jpg

I'm in the mood for Love...

I see that their 1st 3 albums have been released on a "threefer" CD. I'll have to pick that up some time.

Jack

The cover artist isn't Bolles but they're still nice early examples of the spicy genre.

BZ, since you are showing off your early '30's pulps, any change we get a look at your Black Mask collection? I don't recall your posting any and I have no doubt you do have some. Make me envious pretty please :foryou:

Scrooge,

I have always said that comics are a visual media. Lots of color, straight and curved lines. Fancy shading. I didn't need Speak and Spell technology to appreciate comics. Photoshop and a decent scanner were enough as long as my computer held up. I reloaded Windows XP recently to eliminate contaminated files. Hopefully I fixed more things than I broke. Now my new flat screen scanner with built in speakers seems to add more resolution and the ability to listen to Utube and my old radio shows.

By the way, I have the Captain Marvel movie on tape. I will have to replace it some day with new HD or Blue Ray. But will someone color it first and fix the special effects. Tom Tyler is a great Captain Marvel cause he really was a Superman. Scans below are from Captain Marvel 18.

bb

2700238258_070578906f.jpg2700238260_d6456a7a69.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

BZ, since you are showing off your early '30's pulps, any change we get a look at your Black Mask collection? I don't recall your posting any and I have no doubt you do have some. Make me envious pretty please :foryou:

My Black Mask are on a bookcase that has a ton of stuff stacked in front of it, but I'll do some digging and see what I can find for you. (thumbs u