• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

A number of years ago I bought a comic collection and there was one magazine in it. Digging through some boxes today I found it again. Haven't seen it in a long time.

Front and back cover for your viewing pleasure. Film fun, Sept 1925

filmfunfc.jpg

filmfunbc.jpg

Great cover, BB. :applause:

I'm a big fan of Peter's stylized artwork.

I love the orange sky. :gossip:

Pun?

Orange Skies

Jack

Thanks for the music bit Jack. I had to reinstall Windows (I needed to clean up files anyway) to get my sound card to work again. I probably lost a few important favorite websites but hopefully no other damage. The comic files are on the external hard drive. It is nice to have but I think I might need a new comic Reader now.

bb

My link broke your computer?

Some pal I am.

Jack

A number of years ago I bought a comic collection and there was one magazine in it. Digging through some boxes today I found it again. Haven't seen it in a long time.

Film fun, Sept 1925

filmfunfc.jpg

Cover by Enoch Bolles. :applause:

He's my all time favorite pin-up artist.

Tough to read but there is mention of Alfred Harvey toward the bottom as the originator of the idea - From Derrick, Oil City, PA on September 24, 1942

62561.jpg

I've never seen that comic.

Does it contain original material or comic strip reprints?

We've all heard the rhetoric before and here it is again in the Piqua Call Daily (Ohio) from March 1941 but this is early in the life of the comics and the critique we see here would only be more true in the years to come. It seems that the content of this article is very similar to the content of a Parents Magazine article -

62565.jpg.f0c0c6788c27129b0e27578fd8a11b9e.jpg

What Amarillo Reads Has a New Answer - 20,000 Comic Magazines a Month Bought - The Amarillo Globe - September 10, 1940 -

62564.jpg

Really neat article.

And just think, the biggest surge of titles was still to come.

Random Comic Survey lol

In hindsight, it's always funny to look at these charts that were so popular with the opposition to the comics. This one was put together for the March 28, 1945 issue of the Southtown Economist (Chicago). Would someone describe for me what constitute "suggestive art"? I also like the "manufactured word" entry :cool:

62567.jpg.657eb9a586f710f4a1c0ce996be18f45.jpg

The Southtown Economist really had it for the comics since soon after on April 1, 1945 they were at it full blast again with a nice three punch attack on the comics :o

First, they point out that some comic publishers had just been caught in violation of war production regulations -

62568.jpg.7a69699f32c5ef4726cafaa3fa277df9.jpg

Then, in a low blow, they update us on the fate of the mother of a young comic fan who had recently died as per this story. For reference, I pulled out the Tarzan Sunday referred therein and was able to scan the panels of interest. Truly a sad story -

62569.jpg.3ac396bc1bfbe9d328314b6e6070449e.jpg

62570.jpg.b92752e650b6e8b4850519ab3ec1b202.jpg

And finally the main headline (I skipped part of the article to showcase only the "meaty" section) exposes a serious threat to your children's health. And you thought that something else caused blindness ...

62571.jpg.81d160b576bc153a7b778dbab71f8c4e.jpg

More on the ration "scandal", the WPB took action as per this article in the Modesto Bee and News-Herald and it did have repercussion on the newsstand. It's irritating that the publishers aren't named (yet) but a little research at the GCD or online should turn up who was involved as 37 comic titles dropping off should be noticeable -

62572.jpg.8df212063bdeb53234b7c769e8bc3ad9.jpg

Great cover, BB. :applause:

I'm a big fan of Peter's stylized artwork.

I love the orange sky. :gossip:

Pun?

Orange Skies

Jack

Thanks for the music bit Jack. I had to reinstall Windows (I needed to clean up files anyway) to get my sound card to work again. I probably lost a few important favorite websites but hopefully no other damage. The comic files are on the external hard drive. It is nice to have but I think I might need a new comic Reader now.

bb

My link broke your computer?

Some pal I am.

Jack

Jack,

Your link didn't cause the damage. I haven't had sound on my computer since the original installation of Windows XP. I reinstalled in order to listen to the song. I celebrated the correction by also listening to my Shadow mp3 CD.

bb

Random Comic Survey lol

In hindsight, it's always funny to look at these charts that were so popular with the opposition to the comics. This one was put together for the March 28, 1945 issue of the Southtown Economist (Chicago). Would someone describe for me what constitute "suggestive art"? I also like the "manufactured word" entry :cool:

You know, after viewing comic general, I have to assume that those who spoke out against comics just might have been right. ;)

We've all heard the rhetoric before and here it is again in the Piqua Call Daily (Ohio) from March 1941 but this is early in the life of the comics and the critique we see here would only be more true in the years to come.

62565.jpg

Interesting articles, Scrooge.

I had no idea that public sentiment against comics had begun so early in the game.

Then, in a low blow, they update us on the fate of the mother of a young comic fan who had recently died as per this story. For reference, I pulled out the Tarzan Sunday referred therein and was able to scan the panels of interest. Truly a sad story -

Some stunts are too dangerous, even for professionals to attempt.

Last month I posted the original artwork to a 1930's Ringling Bros. Circus poster.

circus4.jpg

Here's the ending to the Great Aloys story.

aloys.jpg