• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Rescuing this thread from the second page, here's a pic of what Bonnett's looked like circa 1941 :o:o

Great picture!!!

Rescuing this thread from the second page, here's a pic of what Bonnett's looked like circa 1941 :o:o

Wouldn't mind betting that's a young BangZoom strutting the aisle to the right of that pic, picking up a few "forget-me-nots" as he strolls the back issue bins. lol

here's a pic of what Bonnett's looked like circa 1941 63807.jpg

WOW!! :cloud9:

I never imagined Bonnetts was so huge.

Incredible photograph, Scrooge. :applause::applause:

Bonnetts is still located at the same address. :gossip:

If anyone wants to go armchair sightseeing, go to: http://maps.google.com/

and check out Bonnett's neighborhood: 502 E 5th St 45402 (click on "Street View").

There's a Goodwill across the street.

Scrooge, do you have any more photographs like that one?

Think there were any Action 1's in that room?

My Spidey sense tells me that there's a NM copy on the table in front of the boy who is leaning on his elbow.

There's also a dogeared copy under a table in the far back of the room. :whistle:

So recently I broke down and ordered John Locke's Pulp Fictioneers - Adventures in the Storytelling Business, a collection of articles from the pages of writers' magazines such as Writer's Digest, The Writer, ... The articles selected were written by writers of the time and discuss the profession. I should have bought it sooner as I am enjoying the heck out of it only halfway through it. Apparently, he has another volume or two left, this time focusing not on the writers but on the articles written by editors. Be that as it may, my local library's collection of Writer's Digest goes a little further back than what John was able to assess. So, here's an example of the article one can find in the magazine. This one is from November 1928. I enjoyed it, you also may ... -

I've ordered a copy for myself, should be an interesting read. (thumbs u

supermansplash.jpg

Superman Splash (Action Comics)

BZ,

I saw your splash and I went looking for old Superman stories in the Golden Age

boxes. I found this splash in Action 40 but then I noticed that we missed

someone's birthday last week. Happy 67th Birthday Star-Spangled Kid. He is

even older than me.

bb

2751936498_2043c3300b_b.jpg2751102111_e4e33259e3_b.jpg

2751102381_9c3f8bdcbc_b.jpg2751102611_0cc6dfdf4f_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

BZ,

Thanks for a glimpse of the giant robot panels. I liked the robot but I think Shuster could have done better. I wonder why DC chose to separate the talents of Jerry and Joe? Any logic in breaking up the team which was so successful in producing Superman. Joe had his hands full with the Superman comic and the newspaper comics but by this time he had a lot of people producing the art and didn't need to do it himself. I guess they had already started working separately when the Spectre appeared and DC was going to continue to milk what they could out of Siegel.

bb

V man seemed a little gruesome and the Banshee looked like a cool strip.

bb

2752595107_3708cc7457_b.jpg

2752595695_581b260f48_b.jpg

And Nagana had some cool headgear.

bb

2753429774_5a117a42e3_b.jpg

Unfortunately these strips didn't last very long but they gave it a good shot while they were out there.

BZ,

Thanks for a glimpse of the giant robot panels. I liked the robot but I think Shuster could have done better. I wonder why DC chose to separate the talents of Jerry and Joe? Any logic in breaking up the team which was so successful in producing Superman. Joe had his hands full with the Superman comic and the newspaper comics but by this time he had a lot of people producing the art and didn't need to do it himself. I guess they had already started working separately when the Spectre appeared and DC was going to continue to milk what they could out of Siegel.

bb

Jerry as a writer was able to create characters / storylines faster than Joe could draw/manage given his eyesight problems and it appears from Men of Tomorrow that Jerry did not think highly of Joe.