• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

The other day when I was returning Thrilling Adventures in Stamps to the shelves, I noticed a few Tick Tock Tales in my collection and got curious about what treasures might be hidden inside them.

I started flipping through a book when my attention was drawn to a story that appeared to feature an albino squirrel, or (my imagination running wild) maybe it was a squirrel's ghost. Either way it looked pretty intriguing.

judy3.jpg

The story turned out to be, "Judy and the Magic Chalk." Apparently Judy was a series that ran regularly in Tick Tock. I guess I'd never taken note of it before. It was a good story.

judy1.jpg

judy2.jpg

The Magic Chalk stories predate Crockett Johnson's "Harold and the Purple Crayon" book by nine years.

harold.jpg

Interesting style.

Who's Who says

SILVERMAN, LAWRENCE

MAGAZINE ENTERPRISES

JUDY AND THE MAGIC CHALK (pen/) late-1940s > 47 48 49

Interesting career. I don't want to quote the whole bio, but he animated for about 10 studios including Disney, Terrytoons and Fleisher. That must be where Judy's Betty Boop look comes from, plus an Out of the Inkwell-type gimmick.

You mention Harold and Gandy Goose, but Winsor McCay's Gertie predates them all (came up on another thread -- or was it here? -- recently).

Jack

I like Judy and the Mighty Atom.

Mr. Mind didn't die, he just moved to a different genre.

bb

2550139316_651c3daf47_b.jpg

2549314747_90873692c1_b.jpg

I think I found these scans while trying to locate the splash from one of BZ's Impossible Quizzes. (Hey that title reminds me of "Mr. Peabody's Improbable History".)

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

You mention Harold and Gandy Goose, but Winsor McCay's Gertie predates them all (came up on another thread -- or was it here? -- recently).

That exchange wasn't here. hm

I like the idea of drawings coming to life through the imagination of a child.

Was Judy and the Magic Chalk the first to do that in a comic book story?

The Gary Concord that BZ resurrected (thanks btw) reminded me it's been a while I posted a complete story.

Coincidentally, I received a couple of Airboys in the mail today and an 8-pager from the November 1948 issue caught my eye: Wolfmen of Bucharest by [as per GCD] Maurice Del Bourgo. It's a fun well illustrated crime mystery story with horror overtones, something not uncommon in the late '40's before horror books truly burgeoned in the industry.

Del Bourgo worked for a lot of publishers, however he never left his mark on any feature that I know of or am familiar with. After all the Who's Who shows he drew Green Arrow for a couple of years for DC (1944 - 1946). The rest of his work is episodic for Chesler, Better, Ace, Avon, Fawcett, Feature, Harvey, Hillman, Holyoke, Rural Home, Orbit, Marvel, St. John, Street & Smith, Ziff-Davis and I skipped a few more. Pheww!! Not the best way to work in this business when you have to bounce from company to company. He also worked for Gilberton and drew a couple of CIs for them, including Under Two Flags, Call of the Wild and William Tell.

According to Jones, Jr.'s Classics Illustrated book, Del Bourgo was interviewed in The Classics Reader , no. 5 (1975) where it is revealed that del Bourgo "would never allow anyone else to do his inking, and he sought, unsuccessfully, to have some input in the coloring of his pages."

My first reaction to the art before the GCD ID was to think along the quite different lines of Ingels (in the way the wolves are drawn) and Robbins (in the way the masquerade party goers look). In the end, it seems that del Bourgo liked Caniff and this is reflected in the pages below.

Too much talking already, let me show you the scans. (thumbs u

73948.jpg.0b96b61b87297868e753dce122dc7f62.jpg

73949.jpg.6fa12d75df410ed6ab35433135ad7d29.jpg

73950.jpg.b69ffe6c333e496605477f81a2f24606.jpg

73951.jpg.185bac5163243c551942984bd8fb6343.jpg

73952.jpg.0f5011b10cc22a5386ae6d4750319bcd.jpg

Anyone know Glen Bray? I heard he was one of the first to approach Carl Barks about doing original art paintings.

It was from Glenn Bray that I first heard of Barks doing commissions.

Unfortunately I didn't act quickly enough to get in on the first wave of purchases. If I remember correctly Barks initial asking price for paintings was about $150.

Anyone know Glen Bray? I heard he was one of the first to approach Carl Barks about doing original art paintings.

Unfortunately I didn't act quickly enough to get in on the first wave of purchases. If I remember correctly Barks initial asking price for paintings was about $150.

:o

73948.jpg

73949.jpg

Thanks for posting the story, Scrooge.

I've never heard of Del Bourgo, although I think I do remember his work in Classics Illustrated. His artwork reminds me of Lee Elias.

I noticed the cover was by Dan Zolnerowich. (thumbs u

I've never heard of Del Bourgo, although I think I do remember his work in Classics Illustrated. His artwork reminds me of Lee Elias.

I agree, esp. in the middle panel of this page. The same page that had me think of Robbins (Elias and Robbins being equal clones of Caniff) -

73953.jpg

I noticed the cover was by Dan Zolnerowich. (thumbs u

Unfortunately, the weakest of his string of Airboy covers. :(

This past week, I finally broke down and ordered Michelle Nolan's book. So far, so good. It's refreshing to see someone took the time to review the entire field of Romance, starting with some of the Teen precursors to the full blown Romance stories.

Here's the cover -

73957.jpg.f461331cae94dd02bdafec5e413281b2.jpg

This past week, I finally broke down and ordered Michelle Nolan's book. So far, so good. It's refreshing to see someone took the time to review the entire field of Romance, starting with some of the Teen precursors to the full blown Romance stories.

Here's the cover -

Don't forget Benson's book which provides a background for St. John and Baker.

bb

2625572387_635d5f9ded_b.jpg

Bangzoom,

Congrats on your 1,000th page on this thread. In honor of such an auspicious occasion, I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for starting such an incredible thread. And add my own first post to it. Ok, so I've been meaning to post here for quite a while, but it's a great excuse isn't it.

I started looking at these boards close to two years ago, when your thread was probably "only" about 100 pages in. Lots of things out here interested me, but it was your thread, with these incredible comics, pulps and everything else that kept me coming back. Not only is it the amazing things that are posted, but this thread just embodies the spirit of collecting to me.

Someday I hope to have more to add to the conversation than a bit of gushing, but really, thanks. This is probably the best thread I've ever seen on a message board.

Sincerely,

JD

PS--The other boardies might want to kill me, but from earlier posts I gather that you are a bit of a record collector, in addition to everything else. Any chance you'd like to post some more choice records? I'd love to see more.

Thank you, JD. :blush:

You sound like a collector with exquisite taste and refined sensibilities. ;)

I've got just the disc for you.

A 78 rpm record of sound effects from the 1933 World's Fair Torture Show exhibition.

tortureshow.jpg

tortureshow2.jpg

Wow! I've never heard of anything like these before. And what a great story of the exhibit to go with them. I can't imagine that Decca actually released records like this for sale, so once again i'm just left asking the Joker's question, "Where does he get all those wonderful toys!?" Very cool stuff BZ.

Unfortunately, the new CBCW set is not available in English yet.

Geoffrey Bloom's article does indeed mention that Glen Bray was to pay $150 for the first painting, which was the very first Duck oil painting Barks did. Their agreement was that Barks was to put a week of work into it and Bray would pay the fixed price no matter how it turned out. There are other CBCW articles with lots of pictures of the two together, of Barks holding the first painting, and of Barks meeting with other early fans. Very, very interesting stuff for Barks fans.

Here's the cover -

From what you've told about the romance books you've purchased, I'd say it's a great relief not to have to review it! lol

Seriously, though, thanks for the tip!