• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

A few months ago a friend of mine contacted me to ask about Public Service Ads that were published in comic books during WWII.

I started searching and turned up a bunch.

Here are a few of the ones I found.

morefun96psa.jpg

More Fun #96

It was discussed about almost a year ago but the new details have not been mentioned yet anywhere else that I know of. It's going to be a tough decision for me but I don't think I'll be buying into the program. Instead, I will be buying the Godfrettson / Gottfredson (sp.?) Mickey reprints.

Fantagraphics to publish the complete Carl Barks.

Is this old news on the Board?

I first read about it on the Golden Age Cartoons Forum.

It sounds great except for the fact that it is going to take 15 years to complete the project.

Complete Carl Barks

thanks BZ. I think I will buy the books as I love the job they did on the Peanuts volumes.

Fantagraphics to publish the complete Carl Barks.

Is this old news on the Board?

I first read about it on the Golden Age Cartoons Forum.

It sounds great except for the fact that it is going to take 15 years to complete the project.

Complete Carl Barks

The Another Rainbow hard cover volumes are fine with me. They look beautiful in their slipcases on my bookshelves. I suppose this new project will reach more people which is good, but I'll be 75 in 15 years! Yikes!

Speaking of Barks, wouldn't a well-reproduced collection of the Barney Bear stories from Our Gang be nice? They have some really good art and are close in spirit to some of the WDC&S 10 pagers.

The Another Rainbow hard cover volumes are fine with me. They look beautiful in their slipcases on my bookshelves. I suppose this new project will reach more people which is good, but I'll be 75 in 15 years! Yikes!

My own thought was, I wonder if I'll even be alive in 15 years. :P

Speaking of Barks, wouldn't a well-reproduced collection of the Barney Bear stories from Our Gang be nice? They have some really good art and are close in spirit to some of the WDC&S 10 pagers.

I remember when this book was for sale some years ago.

barneybear.jpg

Barney Bear.

I never actually saw a copy so I don't know the quality of the publication.

I remember when this book was for sale some years ago.

Barney Bear.

I never actually saw a copy so I don't know the quality of the publication.

I have it - they are almost photocopy standard from the Our Gang pages. Readable but a long way short of archival quality.

I'd love to see reprints of the Raggedy Ann and Andy comics. There was some great stuff in them.

Actually, what I'd really love would be for someone to digitize all the early Dell comics and release them in a DVD format.

My own thought was, I wonder if I'll even be alive in 15 years. :P

While the idea of the hard covers is nice, I'm very satisfied with Another Rainbow's albums. Susan Daigle-Leach did a tremendous job as the colorist for most of them.

Wasn't sure where to post this. I had mentioned to my father over the holidays that I was looking for a first edition of Catcher In The Rye, so he went and pulled this copy off his library book shelf and gave it to me.

It feels as though it's unread. The only real problem I could see with the DJ is that it has some fading from being on the shelf for so long without being wrapped in Mylar.

I love the cover illustration.

Catcher.jpg

Wasn't sure where to post this. I had mentioned to my father over the holidays that I was looking for a first edition of Catcher In The Rye, so he went and pulled this copy off his library book shelf and gave it to me.

It feels as though it's unread. The only real problem I could see with the DJ is that it has some fading from being on the shelf for so long without being wrapped in Mylar.

Catcher.jpg

(worship)

Gorgeous copy, Twistty. :applause:

The cover illustration is by E. Michael Mitchell who had quite a few animation credits and was a beloved instructor at CalArts.

E. Michael Mitchell R.I.P.

E. Michael Mitchell

This is my copy.

It's not as nice as yours but it'll have to do because I can't afford to buy one in better shape.

catcherintherye.jpg

It looks really nice from what I can see. The red appears to be a little deeper than mine. Might be due to some fading, more so on the spine. I really need to get some mylar for it but not sure where I can get any for books.

Edited by Twistty1

It looks really nice from what I can see.

My copy has some chipping at the top of the jacket.

Still a very nice copy.

My father also had nice book about 50's stylized illustrations and I can't recall the name of the book at the moment. I'd call and ask him but he now lives in South Africa and it's about 4 am there right now.