• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

My father also had nice book about 50's stylized illustrations and I can't recall the name of the book at the moment. I'd call and ask him but he now lives in South Africa and it's about 4 am there right now.

Please check with him and let us know what the title of the book is. I'm a big fan of artwork of that sort.

flora.jpg

Jim Flora is one of my favorites from that time period. Link

My father also had nice book about 50's stylized illustrations and I can't recall the name of the book at the moment. I'd call and ask him but he now lives in South Africa and it's about 4 am there right now.

Please check with him and let us know what the title of the book is. I'm a big fan of artwork of that sort.

flora.jpg

Those record covers are great.

Here is the book BZ. Hope this helps. It was a very interesting and the section in the blog on Walt Peregoy and his work on 101 Dalmations has some beautiful illustrations. I've already ordered a copy.

Cartoon Modern

There is also a blog.

Cartoon Modern blog

And one about UPA. I may have to order "Inside UPA" as well.

UPA

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Twistty1

This is my copy.

It's not as nice as yours but it'll have to do because I can't afford to buy one in better shape.

catcherintherye.jpg

Very nice. I think my copy is a beat up old paper back which is stored somewhere in the basement. I gave away most of my paperbacks and LP record collection when I moved last year. Don't know why I kept all of these comics. I guess I needed somewhere for the cats to sleep. They like to climb on top of the mountain and take an afternoon snooze. The couch is fine by me.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Here is the book BZ. Hope this helps. It was a very interesting and the section in the blog on Walt Peregoy and his work on 101 Dalmations has some beautiful illustrations. I've already ordered a copy.

Cartoon Modern

There is also a blog.

Cartoon Modern blog

And one about UPA. I may have to order "Inside UPA" as well.

UPA

Let me know what you think.

I've read online about the Cartoon Modern book but I don't own a copy. I'll have to add it to my Amazon Wishlist.

Thanks for the recommendations concerning the Cartoon Modern blog and the UPA site. I was unaware of both of them. I'll check them out.

flora.jpg

Those are really fun covers! (thumbs u

This is my copy.

It's not as nice as yours but it'll have to do because I can't afford to buy one in better shape.

catcherintherye.jpg

It looks really nice from what I can see. The red appears to be a little deeper than mine. Might be due to some fading, more so on the spine. I really need to get some mylar for it but not sure where I can get any for books.

www.brodart.com

Hi Folks ..

This is Twistty1's Dad here ... I am pleased that this edition of Catcher In The Rye is now in Adam's hands ... He refused to take my 8,000 LPs! (Just kidding .. I sold them 10 years ago).

I have long been an admirer of album artwork, and I have a number of books devoted just to that subject. I am a devoted jazz fan, and as such have several wonderful books of album covers, including a few rare ones published only in Japan on "West Coast Jazz" ...

I am also an admirer of Jim Flora, but I am a GREAT admirer of the work of David Stone Martin, The work of the great Alex Steinweiss should also receive some attention in this forum. I do not have access to a scanner, so maybe one of you who have his book FOR THE RECORD (Princeton Architectural Press, 2000) could reproduce some of the covers for the rest of us.

Hi Folks ..

This is Twistty1's Dad here ...

I am also an admirer of Jim Flora, but I am a GREAT admirer of the work of David Stone Martin, The work of the great Alex Steinweiss should also receive some attention in this forum. I do not have access to a scanner, so maybe one of you who have his book FOR THE RECORD (Princeton Architectural Press, 2000) could reproduce some of the covers for the rest of us.

I recognize Steinweiss' work from the examples your son posted above but didn't know anything about the artist. The description of FOR THE RECORD at Amazon has induced me to add the title to my Amazon wish list.

Unlike Steinweiss, I'm very familiar with David Stone Martin . I think I first encountered his illustrations in Evergreen magazine and later became aware of his illos on jazz record albums.

This is my copy.

catcherintherye.jpg

It looks really nice from what I can see. The red appears to be a little deeper than mine. Might be due to some fading, more so on the spine. I really need to get some mylar for it but not sure where I can get any for books.

www.brodart.com

Thank you for the link.

Snowed in?

Looking for a good reason to spend countless hours thumbing through your Photo-Journals?

Want to pit your comic know-it-all skills against fellow comic collectors?

Of course you do.

Put on your thinking cap and let's get this year's competition rolling.

The 1st mystery image was identified earlier today by Theagenes on the ERB - Tarzan thread.

Here are #'s 2 - 7.

(Secret Confidential Info: The comics were all published between 1941 - 1949.)