• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

she's cool, but if we shift gears only slightly and search for the funniest femme fatale- I have a contender... Eva De Struction, the pneumatic antagonist of 'Gorgonzola, Won't You Please Come Home' by Clyde Ames (aka Allison). she marches upon (tramples upon?) LA while at the controls of a giant robot Godzilla... Yes Allison wrote for the 'adult' market, and if the Inuit have 200 words for snow- Clyde musters quite a few phrases in praise of the female breast. But he's hilarious. This is one of his few published by the mainstream Lancer... 1967

img586.jpg

There is a profile of Ames / Allison (pen names of William Henley Knoles) by Lynn Munroe over at eFanzines.com.

It is about half way down the page. Link

William Henley Knoles

The Life and Death of Clyde Allison

Clyde Allison wrote for William Hamling's line of 1960's adult publications like Nightstand, Midnight Reader, Ember, and Leisure Books. He is best known today for his series of James Bond spoofs about Agent 0008. I knew that many of the writers who did pseudonymous books for Hamling went on to become famous authors. Maybe Allison would turn out to be one of them. I checked around and was told Clyde Allison was a house name, and that a different author wrote each 0008 book. Then Victor Berch told me that Allison was the pseudonym of a William Knoles. Calling around to different agents, authors, and collectors, I learned that Knoles had burned himself out writing trashy sleaze novels, that he was a drunk, and that he "blew his brains out" at a young age. Everyone had heard that same story, but there was no book or article or interview or checklist anywhere about Knoles. I read some Allison and it was surprisingly well written. Who was this guy? This is what I found out.

Everything I had been told about him was wrong.

Except that Allison was the pen name of a guy named Knoles. All the above information was not exactly correct. Knoles wrote all of the Clyde Allison books (there are 68 on our checklist) and it was never used as a house name. He did commit suicide at the age of 46, but not because he was an alcoholic or was tired of writing adult books.

There have been greater writers, but William Knoles was the greatest unknown writer of our time, and that's exactly how he wanted it...

Just picked up the highest grade Shadow #2-5 (1931) that I have ever seen ( I am sure there ae some nicer ones out these somewhere, so I will just have to sniff them out as well).

The 1931's are nearly impossible to find in this grade with nice paper.

Shadow_1931-07_fcvr_2zzzz-1.jpg

Shadow_1931-10_fcvr_3z-1.jpg

Shadow_1931-11_fcvr_41.jpg

Shadow_1931-12_fcvr_511.jpg

Dwight

They look great, Dwight. :applause:

Did you buy them at the Windy City Pulp and Paper Con?

Hi BZ,

No I bought them privately from a collector.

The Windy City did not really have any early Shadows, especially in grade. There was alot of sci-fi, but really I did not see a alot spectacular stuff outside of sci-fi.

The only exception was that one guy had picked up about 40 spicy pulps, but were priced at prices that were being realized about 4 yeras ago when 5 or 6 guys were going after them heavy duty, but that market has cooled substancially.

Dwight

unknownindexcover.jpg

Congrats, Bill. :applause:

That's an index I haven't seen before.

I have a few other old time SF indexes in my collection.

indextosfmagazines.jpg

Index to the Science Fiction Magazines 1926-1950 (published 1952)

weirdandfatastica.jpg

An Index on the Weird & Fantastica in Magazines (published 1953)

The Windy City did not really have any early Shadows, especially in grade. There was alot of sci-fi, but really I did not see a alot spectacular stuff outside of sci-fi.

The only exception was that one guy had picked up about 40 spicy pulps, but were priced at prices that were being realized about 4 yeras ago when 5 or 6 guys were going after them heavy duty, but that market has cooled substancially.

I heard that a Lone Ranger pulp sold for $800 at the Friday auction.

Was that a surprise to people?

Aaaahhh the Friday night auction. Before moving, I used to go to the Windy City show and it pains me that we can't absentee bid on the auctions. Doug emailed me that he is trying to work out that capability for next year but I don't know if it'll happen. There were quite a few nice lots in the estate being auctioned off, esp. for a lower grade guy like me.

thanks for posting Startling #1. Thrilling Wonder Stories #1 (big sis) got posted in pulp thread last night and I responded with #2. so here's Startling #2. my best guess is that the cover artist on all four is one who I'm way upwardly revising and who I already thought was real good- Howard Brown (more to come on him...) he was also lead cover artist at Astounding at this time (stylistic similarities) and online folks do say he did 'early TWS & SS covs'. so...

img595.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

img592.jpg

Thanks for posting the scan of the book jacket. I always enjoy seeing things like that.

Here's the cover to "The Black Flame" pulp appearance.

startling193901.jpg

Startling Stories v1 #1 (January 1939)

That's a Weinbaum of which I was unaware - thanks guys. I'll see if I can find one. I love the book cover in particular - but would never have figured out the link with Startling, which helps me understand why the book is such a late publication.

Weinbaum is a wonderful writer, whose A Martian Odyssey is a classic of the genre.

Is my recollection correct that he died while still young?

And is A Martian Odyssey also contained in a pulp somewhere?

As always, thanks for the combined erudition!

img601.jpg

Thanks for the additional scan.

Tachyon Publications had this interesting bit of info about The Black Flame manuscript.

When The Black Flame was first published in 1939, Stanley G. Weinbaum had already been dead for three years. By that time, over 18,000 words had been excised or edited from the original manuscript. The intact manuscript, held by Sam Moskowitz, was auctioned off to Forrest J. Ackerman at the First World Science Fiction Convention in 1939. It was subsequently stolen from his collection and never recovered. The publication of this edition was made possible by the discovery of a carbon copy of the manuscript in a trunk of Weinbaum's papers found in the basement of his grandson's house in Denver, Colorado.

Look what I just found on Ebay!

theBlackFlame.jpg

Issued in 1995 by Tachyon Publishing after a copy of the original manuscript was found in the basement of Weinbaum`s grandson the previous year! Including 18,000 additional words previously edited out by editors of the original edition (Published in 1939), this was a remarkable find

unknownindexcover.jpg

Congrats, Bill. :applause:

That's an index I haven't seen before.

I have a few other old time SF indexes in my collection.

indextosfmagazines.jpg

Index to the Science Fiction Magazines 1926-1950 (published 1952)

weirdandfatastica.jpg

An Index on the Weird & Fantastica in Magazines (published 1953)

Very cool BZ :applause:

img601.jpg

Thanks for the additional scan.

Tachyon Publications had this interesting bit of info about The Black Flame manuscript.

When The Black Flame was first published in 1939, Stanley G. Weinbaum had already been dead for three years. By that time, over 18,000 words had been excised or edited from the original manuscript. The intact manuscript, held by Sam Moskowitz, was auctioned off to Forrest J. Ackerman at the First World Science Fiction Convention in 1939. It was subsequently stolen from his collection and never recovered. The publication of this edition was made possible by the discovery of a carbon copy of the manuscript in a trunk of Weinbaum's papers found in the basement of his grandson's house in Denver, Colorado.

This is not the first time you and I have pursued parallel tracks of investigation at the same time! Fascinating info!