• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I'm beginning to have doubts about the Flash Gordon ride ever existing now since I could not find any mention of it in NY World's Fair incorporation records. Something this elaborate would surely have some actual photos by attendees or for publicity purposes. Maybe this attraction was too expensive to build in the middle of the Depression.

I'm beginning to have doubts about the Flash Gordon ride ever existing now since I could not find any mention of it in NY World's Fair incorporation records. Something this elaborate would surely have some actual photos by attendees or for publicity purposes. Maybe this attraction was too expensive to build in the middle of the Depression.

Wouldn't surprise me that it either proved to be too costly or there were technical problems in developing it. I have read various things about the NY WF over the years and I can't remember reading anything about this ride.

This quote from the description you posted earlier is odd: a ship that takes passengers to Venus, which is part of the way to the moon Who knew that Venus was between earth and the moon? :D

THE ISLAND OF CAPTAIN SPARROW by S. Fowler Wright, Regal Books 1953, cover by Norman Light

A classic with many editions to choose from, when I saw this cover knew it was the one for me, and the copy I got is bright and clean. One of only 2 Regal Books, the other by Fowler Wright as well.

The story of a man cast away on an island whose inhabitants include the last survivors of an antediluvian civilization, a race of non-sentient satyrs, and the descendants of a pirate crew. THE ISLAND OF CAPTAIN SPARROW (1928) deliberately recalls H. G. Wells' THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU (1896) in its image of an island inhabited by satyr-like beast-men who are prey to the corrupt descendants of castaway pirates. It also features a feral girl, the first of several similar figures used by Wright to celebrate the state of Nature in opposition to the brutality of 'civilized' men." (from Currey site)

img530.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

The Trembling World by JR Fearn 1949 Frances-/-Gaywood, Philip Mendoza cover

This came in yesterday- the first mushroom jungle book to label itself science fiction & also the first to use a screwball pseudonym as author. The story goes that they told Mendoza to paint a ‘space ship’ on the cover, and while it’s cool enough the vessel does look more like an out-of-place ocean liner than anything astronomical. The publisher, Stephen Frances, was the author of the ‘Hank Janson’ crime series that formed the centerpiece of the obscenity trials.

It’s a typically fab Fearn outing of future disaster averted by ancient Atlantean superscience rediscovered… I just read ‘Cataclysm’ and can say that Fearn’s somewhat prosaic style and stock characters get transformed, by superb plotting and cosmic situations, into something special.

img5310.jpg

Speaking of Flash Gordon and the 1939 New York World's Fair...

one of the amusement rides was this Flash Gordon ride to Venus.

flashride_zps870f5384.jpg

The ride was described in the April 1939 issue of Mechanix Illustrated:

As a matter of fact, one smart inventor has devised a ship that takes passengers to Venus, which is part of the way to the moon. Unlike the other rides, his rocket ship never really leaves the ground, but for all the sensation accompanying the trip, you would never know it. This latest is “Flash Gordon’s” own rocket ship, designed by George H. Messmore and Joseph Damon. It is 80 feet long and seats 125 people. Once filled, the doors are closed, levers are turned, switches pulled, “anti-gravity” and forward-speed controls are manipulated and suddenly the ship is in darkness. As you watch from the observation tower the ship seems to enter outer space. Familiar constellations flash by and presently the ship lands on Venus. Another door is opened and the passengers alight on a strange planet, where animated images of prehistoric animals and iron-clad “Martians” present a fascinating show. The flight through space is actually a movie flashed on the screen, but the illusion is effective.

It's a shame the ride was never built.

The attraction's designers, Messmore and Damon, had a long history of building extraordinary animated mechanical devices.

smithsonian.org link: Messmore and Damon

A few years ago I posted an article about them that I found at the Modern Mechanix website:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/man-of-the-monsters/

messmore.jpg

messmore2.jpg

messmore3.jpg

messmore4.jpg

messmore5.jpg

img530.jpg

Great looking book. :applause:

I think The Throne of Saturn is the only S. Fowler Wright book I own.

Despite the book being published in 1949 in an edition of only 3,062 copies, it was still available from the publishers in the mid 1970's at the list price of $3.00.

throneofsaturn.jpg

The Throne of Saturn contains the story ‘Original Sin’ which had an incredible impact on me as a child. Here’s the opening (approximately half the story- with link at end to whole yarn.)

I AM XP4378882. I write this with a pen, on sheets of paper in the old way, instead of speaking it into a recorder, because I want it to have a chance of survival, even though a time should come when no more of those instruments can be made or preserved; and because it is a very private thing. If this should be seen by one who could read its words, my death would be nearer even than are those of the men and women among whom I move.

I am writing on the 28th day of September, 2838, being nineteen years of age yesterday, and my friend Stella being two minutes younger than I. We two are the youngest people now alive in the world, having been born somewhat after our time, though there may be eight millions of those who are not more than fourteen days older than we.

For when men conquered disease, and the life of a healthy child became a certain thing, there was a law made that no parents should have more than three (though they could have less if they would, and there were always some that were barren; but there was margin enough for that, and for such as died young, being scalded, or burnt, or perhaps choked with a bone); and when it was soon seen that it was a foolish thing for these children to be born whenever their parents would, as in the old disorderly days, and there was a further law that there should be a space of five years during which all married people might have what children they would (being not more than three), and after that there should be a period of twenty-five years when none should be born at all.

This worked well in more ways than might be thought at the first, for the children bred were all of a like age, and could be taught at one time, and would advance in a level way, whether at task or game, and the training of each year was in no more than three grades, and they were of a like age to wed when the time came, and would be still in their youth when the law was that they might have children themselves. There was time to plan how the next generation should be reared and taught, and each was divided from each in a clear way.

So it has been now for three hundred years, and each generation has been born into a fairer world. There is no disease. There is no dirt. There is no hunger or thirst. There is no pain. There is enough for all of all things that a man can need, so that there is no cause either to envy or hate, either to strive or long.

Men have learnt to see that they need not die till their strength fail, and then death can be made pleasant enough; but the question of why they live has been left unsolved, and it is one which has been asked in an ever more urgent way.

It is over a century ago that the Doctrine of Futility was first discussed, in records two of which still remain. It was not regarded seriously at first, and was freely allowed. But there came a time when it became a cult which some strongly held, and others disliked with the emphasis which the law of Moderation forbids.

Consequently, it was banned, and all recordings erased, excepting only those which were preserved in the Great Museum at Timbuctoo.

There was cause for this law, as it had been found that men might hold different opinions with an obstinacy of assertion which would lead to violent quarrels, when wounds might be given, even such as would cause death; and there had been a general determination to remove all occasions of premature decease from the world.

Opinions must not be publicly expressed, except those on which all men were united, or excepting only such a minority as would not dare to dissent aloud, lest they should provoke the Law for the Elimination of Pests, which no one would wish to do.

But these prohibitions were revised every twenty-five years, and it was a remarkable observation that the great majority of controversial questions would become innocuous in such a period, like a wasp that had lost its sting.

This did not happen so quickly to the Doctrine of Futility, but at each successive revision it was regarded by the Guardians of Public Tranquillity with an increased benevolence, until, at the fourth review, there was the necessary unanimous agreement that few would dissent from, and no one would be likely to be seriously disturbed by, the theory which it propounded.

That, briefly stated, was that sentient life on the Earth, and particularly the forecasting and introspective self-consciousness of mankind, is an evolutionary blunder or, at best, a futility, inevitably destined to be corrected by the deliberate action of its own products so soon as they should reach an intellectual maturity sufficient to enable them to recognise both their own abortion, and their power to terminate it.

Sooner or later, it was argued, mankind must reach a maturity of thought which would recognise the vanity of the procession of life and death, and, by its own deliberate and orderly extinction, restore the Harmony of the Universe, which had been momentarily disturbed by the flicker of sentient life on the planet on which we live.

http://www.sfw.org.uk/96sin.shtml

saturn.JPG

The Trembling World by JR Fearn 1949 Frances-/-Gaywood, Philip Mendoza cover

This came in yesterday- the first mushroom jungle book to label itself science fiction & also the first to use a screwball pseudonym as author. The story goes that they told Mendoza to paint a ‘space ship’ on the cover, and while it’s cool enough the vessel does look more like an out-of-place ocean liner than anything astronomical.

img5310.jpg

I'm rather fond of those not very aerodynamic Buck Rogers style rocket ships.

Speaking of which, this morning I was watching some old MGM cartoons and one of them had this scene.

Little Buck Cheeser (1937)

buckrogerscartoon.jpg

buckrogerscartoon2.jpg

THE ISLAND OF CAPTAIN SPARROW by S. Fowler Wright, Regal Books 1953, cover by Norman Light

A classic with many editions to choose from, when I saw this cover knew it was the one for me, and the copy I got is bright and clean. One of only 2 Regal Books, the other by Fowler Wright as well.

The story of a man cast away on an island whose inhabitants include the last survivors of an antediluvian civilization, a race of non-sentient satyrs, and the descendants of a pirate crew. THE ISLAND OF CAPTAIN SPARROW (1928) deliberately recalls H. G. Wells' THE ISLAND OF DOCTOR MOREAU (1896) in its image of an island inhabited by satyr-like beast-men who are prey to the corrupt descendants of castaway pirates. It also features a feral girl, the first of several similar figures used by Wright to celebrate the state of Nature in opposition to the brutality of 'civilized' men." (from Currey site)

img530.jpg

This sounds like it would be right up my alley. hm

Speaking of Flash Gordon and the 1939 New York World's Fair...

one of the amusement rides was this Flash Gordon ride to Venus.

flashride_zps870f5384.jpg

The ride was described in the April 1939 issue of Mechanix Illustrated:

As a matter of fact, one smart inventor has devised a ship that takes passengers to Venus, which is part of the way to the moon. Unlike the other rides, his rocket ship never really leaves the ground, but for all the sensation accompanying the trip, you would never know it. This latest is “Flash Gordon’s” own rocket ship, designed by George H. Messmore and Joseph Damon. It is 80 feet long and seats 125 people. Once filled, the doors are closed, levers are turned, switches pulled, “anti-gravity” and forward-speed controls are manipulated and suddenly the ship is in darkness. As you watch from the observation tower the ship seems to enter outer space. Familiar constellations flash by and presently the ship lands on Venus. Another door is opened and the passengers alight on a strange planet, where animated images of prehistoric animals and iron-clad “Martians” present a fascinating show. The flight through space is actually a movie flashed on the screen, but the illusion is effective.

It's a shame the ride was never built.

The attraction's designers, Messmore and Damon, had a long history of building extraordinary animated mechanical devices.

smithsonian.org link: Messmore and Damon

A few years ago I posted an article about them that I found at the Modern Mechanix website:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/man-of-the-monsters/

messmore.jpg

messmore2.jpg

messmore3.jpg

messmore4.jpg

messmore5.jpg

Fascinating

img530.jpg

Wonderful!

Pat, you know an awful lot more than me about this UK stuff - and it's my island!

It looks terrific!
I agree! Kudos to jpex for posting it.

On a side note, I was at Disneyworld last year and the revamped "Mission to Mars" ride" was my favorite. They spin you around in a centrifuge similar to what is used for pilot and astronaut training and it's very intense compared to the original.

Sounds like they will soon be testing fitness before allowing access to the rides! (Only pilots and astronauts allowed.)

Little Buck Cheeser (1937)

buckrogerscartoon.jpg

buckrogerscartoon2.jpg

Cool! :applause:

And coincidentally, the very next cartoon featured a cameo appearance by another character we both collect - Tarzan.

The Bookworm (1939)

thebookworm.jpg

thebookworm2.jpg

That's so awesome! I'm sure I saw these as a kid but it's been years. I can appreciate it much more now. :)

I was at Disneyworld last year and the revamped "Mission to Mars" ride" was my favorite. They spin you around in a centrifuge similar to what is used for pilot and astronaut training and it's very intense compared to the original.

We went to Disney World last year too and had a great time.

The Mission Space Building

missiontomars.jpg

On one of the walls at Epcot Center I spotted the following signs and thought to myself, I want to go.

spacecollectiblesconvention.jpg

rocketshow.jpg

Then reality kicked me in the shins and I suddenly realized it wasn't for real. lol

It looks terrific!
I agree! Kudos to jpex for posting it.

On a side note, I was at Disneyworld last year and the revamped "Mission to Mars" ride" was my favorite. They spin you around in a centrifuge similar to what is used for pilot and astronaut training and it's very intense compared to the original.

Sounds like they will soon be testing fitness before allowing access to the rides! (Only pilots and astronauts allowed.)

I think they did have some problems with the original configuration of the ride. Particularly people with unknown health problems -- or people with known health problems who ignored the warnings -- could have difficulties. There was even a death of a youngster who lived not far from us.

I was at Disneyworld last year and the revamped "Mission to Mars" ride" was my favorite. They spin you around in a centrifuge similar to what is used for pilot and astronaut training and it's very intense compared to the original.

We went to Disney World last year too and had a great time.

The Mission Space Building

missiontomars.jpg

On one of the walls at Epcot Center I spotted the following signs and thought to myself, I want to go.

spacecollectiblesconvention.jpg

rocketshow.jpg

Then reality kicked me in the shins and I suddenly realized it wasn't for real. lol

You know, I was staring at the pictures trying to figure out what the date of the convention would be (and could I somehow make it to Orlando) … and then my eyes went down to your punch line. doh!