• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Thanks for the interesting info on Messmore and Damon. I did a search and found some of the exhibits still survive today as described here.

Speaking of Buck Rogers and the World's Fair…

Has anyone seen the first Buck Rogers film called Buck Rogers in the 25th century - An Interplanetary Battle with the Tigermen of Mars?

This film was first shown at the 1934 Chicago World's Fair and was made by the owner of a newspaper syndicate, John Dille.

It was shown again in department stores in 1935 to promote Buck Rogers merchandise. It looks pretty amateurish and crude by today's standards.

The actor playing Buck was John Dille Jr, son of the syndicate owner and Wilma Deering was played by Dille Jr's girlfriend at the time!

Check out the costumes and the special effects!

This is the entrance to the theater at the World's Fair.

bucktheater_zps5bc654b2.jpg

2 for 1 Walgreens coupons were given out for attractions at the fair including the Buck Rogers Show.

BuckTickets_zps15703f47.jpg

Buttons were given out after the Buck Rogers Show.

buckbutton_zps2f75d727.jpg

A copy of the film was found by a granddaughter of John Dille and was given to the UCLA film archives.

The film was shown at the 1984 Cinecon, 2006 PulpCon and the 2007 Windy City Pulp Convention.

More information can be found here.

A copy of the film was found by a granddaughter of John Dille and was given to the UCLA film archives.

The film was shown at the 1984 Cinecon, 2006 PulpCon and the 2007 Windy City Pulp Convention.

I was at that 2007 Windy City screening :acclaim:

Thanks for posting it :thumbsup:

Speaking of Buck Rogers and the World's Fair…

Has anyone seen the first Buck Rogers film called Buck Rogers in the 25th century - An Interplanetary Battle with the Tigermen of Mars?

This film was first shown at the 1934 Chicago World's Fair and was made by the owner of a newspaper syndicate, John Dille.

It was shown again in department stores in 1935 to promote Buck Rogers merchandise. It looks pretty amateurish and crude by today's standards.

The actor playing Buck was John Dille Jr, son of the syndicate owner and Wilma Deering was played by Dille Jr's girlfriend at the time!

Check out the costumes and the special effects!

This is the entrance to the theater at the World's Fair.

bucktheater_zps5bc654b2.jpg

2 for 1 Walgreens coupons were given out for attractions at the fair including the Buck Rogers Show.

BuckTickets_zps15703f47.jpg

Buttons were given out after the Buck Rogers Show.

buckbutton_zps2f75d727.jpg

More information can be found here.

Thanks for all the info. :applause:

I'd never seen the Buck Rogers film so I especially liked that.

I was shocked to see that it was directed by Harlan Tarbell.

In doing some additional reading I learned that Tarbell also played the part of Dr. Huer in the film.

tarbell.jpg

For those who don't recognize the name of Tarbell, he was a famous magician who wrote the extremely popular Tarbell Course in Magic.

Harlan Tarbell Images

Newest mushroom a good one:

Funny little 80 page (small print!) blank spine 1948 SF novel with very cool cover by HW Perl. Publisher is Kaner, who describes the story on the title page as “A Complete Mystery Romance” rather than the SF that it is.

The second image I don’t own, but it’s by far the best shot I’ve seen of one of the bedsheet Fearns. Hard-Core ‘50s SF marketed mainstream & slanted towards women – Wow!

img537.jpg

TriPwr.jpg

Newest mushroom a good one:

Funny little 80 page (small print!) blank spine 1948 SF novel with very cool cover by HW Perl. Publisher is Kaner, who describes the story on the title page as “A Complete Mystery Romance” rather than the SF that it is.

img537.jpg

Very nice. :applause:

I've got a copy of Strange Tales that also has a cover by HW Perl and it includes a story by John Russell Fearn.

strangetales.jpg

experimentinmurder.jpg

Experiment in Murder

Thanks! Is the entire video / show available somewhere? I guess I can google it later.

scrooge, you want to watch the whole show?

ok, then i expect all the study questions below to be answered after you watch the show. :grin:

a great & entertaining historical video and an example of 1950s propaganda!

confidential file is an exposé on the dangers of horror comics that originally aired on KTTV los angeles on october 9, 1955. a video of it is included in the horror comic reprint book "the horror!, the horror!" and it was rediscovered by david hadju, author of "the ten-cent plague". it is essential viewing for fans of horror comics, seduction of the innocent (SOTI) books and anyone interested in comic history. it seems tabloid journalism hasn't changed much since the 1950s. if you weren't told it was a docu-drama, you might think it was an episode of the twilight zone with a rod serling imitator since it has the ominous theme music, serious tone from the host and guests and the laughable dramatization of kids committing acts of violence after reading crime & horror comics. the hokeyness of this episode reminds me of the similarity to the 1936 anti-marijuana film "reefer madness". even though it's 26 min long, it could provide hours of entertainment or study.

senator estes kefauver was interviewed and seems to have a more balanced opinion on comics by saying not all comics are bad and is not in favor total censorship or outlawing of comics.

here's some study questions for you to contemplate:

how many of the comics that appear can you identify? hm

in the dramatization of kids committing acts of violence, how many comics can you pick out that appear in the 1954 senate hearings or in the book "seduction of the innocent"?

can you figure out the specific comic books the kids are describing in the interviews?

what is paul coates writing down in the interviews? hm

the episode was filmed live and did you notice the kid stumbling over the chair after his interview? lol

whatever happened to the comic artist ellis eringer who was in the episode?

trivia question: who directed the dramatization segment and why is that interesting? ;)

My jungle run continues with these two:

Saturn Patrol is EC Tubb’s first novel (Oct 1951 Curtis Warren) and ranges across the galaxy as a gang of interstellar pirates is brought to heel, eventually becoming the spearhead for a Galactic Patrol. Cover by Ray Theobald

Dwellers In Space, 1953 Curtis Warren, cover by Gordon C. Davies. "Fast-paced thriller of conflict between genetically adapted descendants of Earth colonies." - Harbottle and Holland. (Who are the mushroom jungle experts, and- by the way- have not identified the author! Van Reed is a house name.)

cuwa.JPG

Edited by pcalhoun

Thanks! Is the entire video / show available somewhere? I guess I can google it later.

scrooge, you want to watch the whole show?

ok, then i expect all the study questions below to be answered after you watch the show. :grin:

Thanks for posting, guys. :applause:

I remember reading about this show but I don't think I ever sat down and watched it from beginning to end before now.

whatever happened to the comic artist ellis eringer who was in the episode?

elliseringer.jpg

Ellis Eringer

Ellis Eringer (January 5, 1924, New York - September 23, 2008, Monaco)

Harvey Comics and McCombs: Artwork for romance comics c. 1950 (Love Lesson, Hi-School Romance a.o.). - Stanmor Comics and Toby Press: Artwork for horror comics 1953-1954 (Tales of Horror a.o.). - Western Publishing: Inks for comic book stories and children's books 1955-1963 (Donald Duck). - Artwork for the advertising strip Laura Good 1960 (artwork by Russ Manning). - Disney Studios: Inks for foreign-market comic book stories c. 1963-1969 (Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Uncle Scrooge, Chip 'n' Dale, Li'l Bad Wolf a.o.). Periodically inker for Al Taliaferro on the newspaper version of Donald Duck 1965-1969 (daily and Sunday editions).

Moved to London in 1969 to focus on fine art.

eringer.jpg

My jungle run continues with these two:

Saturn Patrol is EC Tubb’s first novel (Oct 1951 Curtis Warren) and ranges across the galaxy as a gang of interstellar pirates is brought to heel, eventually becoming the spearhead for a Galactic Patrol. Cover by Ray Theobald

Dwellers In Space, 1953 Curtis Warren, cover by Gordon C. Davies. "Fast-paced thriller of conflict between genetically adapted descendants of Earth colonies." - Harbottle and Holland. (Who are the mushroom jungle experts, and- by the way- have not identified the author! Van Reed is a house name.)

cuwa.JPG

Very impressive. :applause:

Now if we could just find someone who is collecting French and Spanish SF paperbacks from that same era who is willing to post, we'd really be rockin. :)

Sample scans found via Google search.

foreignsf.jpg

foreignsf2.jpg