• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

15469117095_4293db9908_z.jpg

I thought the Winsor McCay cartoons on TMC last night were really special. I liked the portions with other cartoonist like George McManus.

Was this a rerun? I think I have seen Gertie the Dinosaur on a previous occasion. The Dog and Flying House were pretty amazing too.

15282233659_d4d432070b_z.jpg

I think the big guy at the end of the table was Roy McCardell who was an American journalist that was responsible for bringing Outcault and the Yellow Kid to American newspapers as a full page color strip.

Edited by BB-Gun

I thought the Windsor McCay cartoons on TMC last night were really special. I liked the portions with other cartoonist like George McManus.

Was this a rerun? I think I have seen Gertie the Dinosaur on a previous occasion. The Dog and Flying House were pretty amazing too.

15466084831_76eef2e7a7_z.jpg

I think the big guy at the end of the table was Roy McCardell who was an American journalist that was responsible for bringing Outcault and the Yellow Kid to American newspapers as a full page color strip.

Agreed, very special, and those images seem to have fewer artifacts than the old Milestone DVD (out about ten years ago), although they appear stretched. I hope these weren't shown on TCM in the wrong aspect ratio. :eek:

Love to see Winsor's films remastered for BD. (thumbs u

I thought the Winsor McCay cartoons on TMC last night were really special. I liked the portions with other cartoonist like George McManus.

15282233659_d4d432070b_z.jpg

Agreed, very special, and those images seem to have fewer artifacts than the old Milestone DVD (out about ten years ago), although they appear stretched. I hope these weren't shown on TCM in the wrong aspect ratio. :eek:

Love to see Winsor's films remastered for BD. (thumbs u

Images were photographs taken at an angle to avoid glare of flash. I was too lazy to turn it off. I found it interested that McCay and McManus were good friends. Their styles are different in some ways but both very elaborate.

(shrug)

Edited by BB-Gun

after finally apologizing to Chip Delaney (on page 1692), reread a famous yarn by that other darling of the early ‘60s US SF new wave, Roger Zelazny.

"A Rose for Ecclesiastes" first published in the November 1963 issue of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

It’s a complex story, and the first-person narrator is a poet and an egotistical ahole. Z’s style is lyrical leavened by some tough-guy talk from the Philip Marlowe (Chandler) school- a fusion with occasional awkwardnesses… Plus the ‘Catholic’ (biblical) poetry (which he translates for the Martians) is more assumed than shown.

Cavils aside, this is a modern classic. It’s the nearish future with Earth in contact with Mars, but still knowing little of Martian culture. They have invited the poet to be the first earthperson allowed in the temple where their ancient texts are stored. While learning the old ‘high tongue’ he also comes to realize the Martians are dying, after a plague has left them sterile. They show him a dance, and he writes a poem about the dancer (wherein he compares her to a rose- then, when the Martians ask what the flower is- he vows to get them one…). She comes to him later, they make love (Martians are humanoid), and she gets PG. So only the men were sterile, and now the poet has brought them hope for the future. There’s more (I won’t say what…) but this is enough to make a pretty good case that this tale inspired Chip’s Babel-17 “where cosmic poetess Rydra Wong becomes a superwoman after learning an alien language”.

F&SF knew they had a hot one, and they got Bok to do a super wraparound (his specialty) cover, which was one of his last works. I found an image of the art online; for publication they reversed the image with dancer front cover flower back cover.

bok_fsf.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

Bit funky & fragile, but early Tubb’s are tough.

The Hand of Havoc by E C Tubb, Merit Books July 1954, cover by Ron Turner

An Earth agent must track down 5 Venusian plague carriers who refuse to admit that the interplanetary war is over. They must be stopped before the deadly Rhylla disease decimates the population of Earth. “One of Tubb’s best early novels…” (H&H)

img761.jpg

This cover illustration is wonderful!

Has BangZoom thread turned into a thread about sience fiction novels? If not, we should have one. :)

val-

I came in as johnny-come-lately co-host a couple of years back. Many pleasant ‘ping-pong’ postings with BZ, who, sadly, hasn’t been active here recently. I lean towards SF, personally, and like to think my long-time history as GA-Atomic comic fan lets me pick stuff to post that crosses-over and will appeal…

I’m glad you like the ‘abstract’ Ron Turner cover. His art is one of the major attractions of the ‘mushroom jungle’ (early ‘50s UK PB’s) for me. Here are a couple of other ‘out there’ faves by him. (ps- both novels are by John Russell Fearn and he's GOOD)

Pat

img5070.jpg

img5530.jpg

Edited by pcalhoun

Wow – these are wonderful… I need to take time to look at these.

Pat, I seem to recall your name by fame: what would you say if I propose a thread devoted to science fiction illustration (mostly novel and magazine covers, but everything would be great)?

I mean it from the beginnings up to the point mainstream american science fiction becomes "mature", slightly before the "contamination" with fantasy and the (mostly late) 1970s. I would love it!

A reason for this is that, while the focus could be on mainstream US/UK science fiction, there has been several countries which have had production of sci-fi (and related) literature in their own right, and also editions of the english and american famous novels and authors.

In Italy, for example, we have had editions which featured original covers which sported the art of some awesome talents, including the dutch-born Karel Thole (which moved to Italy in 1958).

I would love that, as it would allow reflections on science fiction and its origins, as a follow-up of fantastic literature of the 19th century. :)

BTW, I know Statten by having read this novel by him – not sure how the original title is because the italian edition reported a french title as the original title:

Cover art is by Curt Caesar, leading italo-german artist which led an exceptional life, being a wehrmacht officer (working as an interpreter for Rommel in Africa) and then helping the partisan forces in Italy (at the risk of his own life) at the end of the conflict.

Many people know him just for his 1950s and 1960s illustrations, but he has also been one of the leading italian comic artists since the 1930s.

u190.jpg

Nice! The Caesar one looks like a Classics Illustrated, and Thole is super. A new thread would be fine; the thing I like about GA Collection is it’s nicely open-ended, especially if you take a long-range view of the Golden Age…

Please do post more images of international editions and authors and artists.

BZ liked the Turner below…

img656.jpg