• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

After BZ got me going on the Jan 1939 Amazing I read “Battle in the Dawn”. Good basic Cro-Magnon vs Neanderthal plot. Some of the sequels sound interesting: a caveman in Atlantis? With help from some net guy called ‘the pulpster’ (http://pulpster.blogspot.com/ - thanks) I put together a list of the original stories. Of course I had 3/41 AS as front & back covs both faves!!! I scanned the ‘Heaven’ splash & 3/41 FC & BC, pulpster the others.

"Battle in the Dawn" (AS Jan 1939)

"Hok Goes to Atlantis" (AS Dec 1939)

"Hok Draws the Bow" (AS May 1940)

"Hok and the Gift of Heaven" (AS Mar 1941)

"Hok Visits the Land of Legends" (FA Apr 1942)

it's assumed that the switch to Fantastic Adventures was following editor Ray Palmer's move to FA from AS. There are 2 small press PBs that reprint the series.

hok.jpg

hok2.JPG

Right on BZ - can you read the sig on 'Land of Legends' interior illo? thanks - Pat

Jay Jackson

Pat, on a hunch I checked GCD to see if Jackson ever did any work in comic books and I discovered he illustrated a story for Colossus Comics in 1940.

Blond Garth

ColossusComics_BlondeGarth.jpg

That is awesome… Thanks for posting! – I guess it did not have a comics adaptation later on.

Is there a list of all the Adam Link stories published in the pulps? Do you know if they were collected in their completeness in some anthology?

I noticed this ad in the Fantastic Adventures.

adamlinkad.jpg

from wikipedia:

Adam Link stories

"I, Robot" (January 1939)

"The Trial of Adam Link, Robot" (July 1939)

"Adam Link in Business" (January 1940)

"Adam Link's Vengeance" (February 1940)

"Adam Link, Robot Detective" (May 1940)

"Adam Link, Champion Athlete" (July 1940)

"Adam Link Fights a War" (December 1940)

"Adam Link in the Past" (February 1941)

"Adam Link Faces a Revolt" (May 1941)

"Adam Link Saves the World" (April 1942)

The series has been adapted for comic books twice, once for Entertaining Comics' Weird Science-Fantasy in 1955 (issues 27-29), and again for Warren Publishing's Creepy in 1965-67 (issues 2, 4, 6, 8-9, 12-13 and 15). In each case, the adaptation was scripted by Binder and drawn by Joe Orlando. In each case, the series was discontinued before it could be completed."

I didn't see a collection of the stories as the 1965 Paperback Library novelization, Adam Link Robot, may have precluded such. Small press possibilities?...

Edited by pcalhoun

Thanks Pat,

I knew about the comics, three stories adapted in the EC books and then the Creepy ones (which I am collecting), thanks for the list of the stories. Were all these published in that pulp magazine, Fantastic Adventures?

Following the reflections upon the robot, here’s a 1957 original supplement of Astro Boy (containing part two of an important two part story) – I already showed it elsewhere but it’s one of the most loved items in my collection… :)

Digest sized, one of the few stories not serialized in Shounen but rather presented as standalone supplements.

USA's first (and I believe) only publication of this story should be in the Dark Horse edition of Astro Boy, vol. 13 ("Showdown in the Alps"). But it is the entirely rewritten and redrawn version, as most of the earlier Astro stories were redone, and altered to various degrees, by Tezuka himself, sometimes more than once.

PoizhU6l.jpg

Thanks Pat,

I knew about the comics, three stories adapted in the EC books and then the Creepy ones (which I am collecting), thanks for the list of the stories. Were all these published in that pulp magazine, Fantastic Adventures?

Following the reflections upon the robot, here’s a 1957 original supplement of Astro Boy (containing part two of an important two part story) – I already showed it elsewhere but it’s one of the most loved items in my collection… :)

Digest sized, one of the few stories not serialized in Shounen but rather presented as standalone supplements.

USA's first (and I believe) only publication of this story should be in the Dark Horse edition of Astro Boy, vol. 13 ("Showdown in the Alps"). But it is the entirely rewritten and redrawn version, as most of the earlier Astro stories were redone, and altered to various degrees, by Tezuka himself, sometimes more than once.

PoizhU6l.jpg

That's a very cool item! I collect Tezuka's volumes now, but don't have any retro-Japanese stuff. Is this a wraparound cover? Almost looks like it could be....

PoizhU6m.jpg

That's a very cool item! I collect Tezuka's volumes now, but don't have any retro-Japanese stuff. Is this a wraparound cover? Almost looks like it could be....

No, just a regular digest sized book. Most of the Astro Boy stories were originally serialized in the antologic publication Shonen (weekly I believe), but in some cases a story was featured in a supplement: the first episode of this story "Yellow Horse" was serialized deals with a strange drug smuggling gang, then the second episode was published as a supplement (this one) instead of being serialized on Shonen.

What is fascinating about it (besides the fact that being a supplement it has a great custom cover) is that it is a story that deals with the nostalgia for parents, which is a central element in Astro Boy as being a robot he did not have actual parents, besides Dr. Tenma. What is fascinating is that in this original version Dr. Tenma is featured, and plays a prominent part, but when Tezuka re-did the story for the 1960s and then 1970s reprints, he is completely omitted, and there is just Ochanomizu.

Also, there is a touching opening sequence where, right before Christmas, Astro gifts away his clothes, one by one, to poor and starving people, and as a last gesture, he gives away his synthetic skin to a mother with a small child trembling for the cold. This complex scene is somewhat simplified in the redone version, and he just gives people his clothes. :)

Happy Birthday (b1893) Klark-Ashton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyctalops

by Clark Ashton Smith

Ye that see in darkness

When the moon is drowned

In the coiling fen-mist

Far along the ground—

Ye that see in darkness,

Say, what have ye found?

—We have seen strange atoms

Trysting on the air—

The dust of vanished lovers

Long parted in despair,

And dust of flowers that withered

In worlds of otherwhere.

We have seen the nightmares

Winging down the sky,

Bat-like and silent,

To where the sleepers lie;

We have seen the bosoms

Of the succubi.

We have seen the crystal

Of dead Medusa's tears.

We have watched the undines

That wane in stagnant weirs,

And mandrakes madly dancing

By black, blood-swollen meres.

We have seen the satyrs

Their ancient loves renew

With moon-white nymphs of cypress,

Pale dryads of the yew,

In the tall grass of graveyards

Weighed down with evening's dew.

We have seen the darkness

Where charnel things decay,

Where atom moves with atom

In shining swift array,

Like ordered constellations

On some sidereal way.

We have seen fair colors

That dwell not in the light—

Intenser gold and iris

Occult and recondite;

We have seen the black suns

Pouring forth the night.

Edited by pcalhoun

Happy Birthday (b1893) Klark-Ashton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nyctalops

by Clark Ashton Smith

Ye that see in darkness

When the moon is drowned

In the coiling fen-mist

Far along the ground—

Ye that see in darkness,

Say, what have ye found?

—We have seen strange atoms

Trysting on the air—

The dust of vanished lovers

Long parted in despair,

And dust of flowers that withered

In worlds of otherwhere.

We have seen the nightmares

Winging down the sky,

Bat-like and silent,

To where the sleepers lie;

We have seen the bosoms

Of the succubi.

We have seen the crystal

Of dead Medusa's tears.

We have watched the undines

That wane in stagnant weirs,

And mandrakes madly dancing

By black, blood-swollen meres.

We have seen the satyrs

Their ancient loves renew

With moon-white nymphs of cypress,

Pale dryads of the yew,

In the tall grass of graveyards

Weighed down with evening's dew.

We have seen the darkness

Where charnel things decay,

Where atom moves with atom

In shining swift array,

Like ordered constellations

On some sidereal way.

We have seen fair colors

That dwell not in the light—

Intenser gold and iris

Occult and recondite;

We have seen the black suns

Pouring forth the night.

....that is effing NICE, Pat....... thank you..... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Marvelous to see you active again BZ :)

All I wanna do is a bang, bang, bang and a zoom zoom!

Well, thankee. :)

I've been thinking of starting up the old Comic Quizzes again so I hope you're ready to defend your title.

Nobody has ever won two years in a row. This could be an opportunity for you to gain entry to the Comic Quiz Hall of Fame. winner.gif

Amazing Stories

PoizhU6l.jpg

Very cool. :applause:

Are the stories published in color or black and white?

Marvelous to see you active again BZ :)

All I wanna do is a bang, bang, bang and a zoom zoom!

Well, thankee. :)

I've been thinking of starting up the old Comic Quizzes again so I hope you're ready to defend your title.

Nobody has ever won two years in a row. This could be an opportunity for you to gain entry to the Comic Quiz Hall of Fame. winner.gif

I'm ready brother