• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

pps- please check inside Str Adv 8 see if stories by DV Reed...

Strange Adventures #8 doesn't have any stories credited to David Reed.

Evolution Plus was written by Gardner Fox.

evolutionplus.jpg

Everyone probably remembers DC's numerous gorilla covers throughout the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Here's the comic that started the craze.

strangeadventures8.jpg

Strange Adventures #8 (May 1951)

(thumbs u

DC discovered that it wasn't enough to put a gorilla on the cover -- it had to be an intelligent gorilla, human trapped in a gorilla body etc.

Everyone probably remembers DC's numerous gorilla covers throughout the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Here's the comic that started the craze.

strangeadventures8.jpg

Strange Adventures #8 (May 1951)

(thumbs u

DC discovered that it wasn't enough to put a gorilla on the cover -- it had to be an intelligent gorilla, human trapped in a gorilla body etc.

Missed the other key element: Must Be Purple

From Tadcaster Bookshop in UK on ebay. Phil is pretty good- both times I’ve won from him on ebay I’ve expanded the deal with an offer an a second book which he’s accepted with no added shipping…

The Screaming Lake by S. Fowler Wright, Regal 1953, cover by Norman Light

Devereux and Juanita travel deep into the Amazon jungle looking for Incan gold. What they find is an ancient city forgotten by time…where huge, toad-like monsters feast on unwary travelers. One of only 2 Regals – the other is Wright’s ‘Island of Captain Sparrow’.

Exit Life JR Fearn, Scion 1953, cover by Ron Turner

“Returning to Earth after a two-year voyage…among the planets, the crew discover..all human and animal life has mysteriously vanished… A superior thriller.” -H&H (Adapted from ‘The World in Wilderness’ in 6/41 Science Fiction.)

jujun.JPG

I was going to wait on this until after I’d finished reading it (read once before in early seventies and loved it), but after the first ten (of 90) pages- too excited. This unassuming volume, Authentic Science Fiction #31, early 1953, is a mushroom jungle supernova. Some MJ books reprinted good SF from Startling, etc, but this is the first publication of a CLASSIC fifties novella- by an ‘American’ author. After his brilliant ‘The Paradox Men’ in 1949 Startling, and a few exceptional stories and novelettes (in Astounding, Planet, Thrilling Wonder) including the incredible ‘The New Reality’ from Dec 1950 TWS, Charles Harness was gathering steam to become a frontrunner. It’s likely that the non-acceptance of ‘The Rose’ by the US market was a major factor in his not writing any more SF until 1968. A lamentable hiatus, but it has left ‘The Rose’ as an obscure but commanding highlight of the loftiest peak of the GA. (First time I read was in 1969 Berkley PB -don’t have now- that also had ‘The New Reality’ and one other yarn. Covers: John Richards on Authentic & Richard Powers on Ace.)

img736.jpg

img737R.jpg

img735.jpg

img833.jpg

pps- please check inside Str Adv 8 see if stories by DV Reed...

Strange Adventures #8 doesn't have any stories credited to David Reed.

Evolution Plus was written by Gardner Fox.

evolutionplus.jpg

There are so few stories that use evolution as a background. Most seem to question the theory, this Wonder Woman story seems to use Darwin' theory in a scientific manner. I remember reading an ERB novel that also used the theory as part of the story.

14335063561_c5cc78c34b_b.jpg

2 Robert Fuqua illos from the May 1940 Fantastic Adventures first publication, and Ron Turner’s cover for the Gryphon edition – the first combo package (I think the 1950 PB just Return of WG).

wg2.JPG

This great stuff, My buddy Mark Finn is working on an anthology of Gorillas from the Pulps right now. Should be fun!

I was going to wait on this until after I’d finished reading it (read once before in early seventies and loved it), but after the first ten (of 90) pages- too excited. This unassuming volume, Authentic Science Fiction #31, early 1953, is a mushroom jungle supernova. Some MJ books reprinted good SF from Startling, etc, but this is the first publication of a CLASSIC fifties novella- by an ‘American’ author. After his brilliant ‘The Paradox Men’ in 1949 Startling, and a few exceptional stories and novelettes (in Astounding, Planet, Thrilling Wonder) including the incredible ‘The New Reality’ from Dec 1950 TWS, Charles Harness was gathering steam to become a frontrunner. It’s likely that the non-acceptance of ‘The Rose’ by the US market was a major factor in his not writing any more SF until 1968. A lamentable hiatus, but it has left ‘The Rose’ as an obscure but commanding highlight of the loftiest peak of the GA. (First time I read was in 1969 Berkley PB -don’t have now- that also had ‘The New Reality’ and one other yarn. Covers: John Richards on Authentic & Richard Powers on Ace.)

img736.jpg

img737R.jpg

img735.jpg

img833.jpg

I wish I'd seen this post sooner.

"The Rose" is an absolutely stunning piece of writing unlike anyone else. If one blended the best qualities of Alfred Bester and Cordwainer Smith one might get something like Charles Harness, but his is a unique voice.

His characters are as doom-laden and fated as any in mythology.

Harness has a fascinating take on the seeming appearance of handicap leading to transformation. I wont spoil the -unforgettable - ending of "The Rose" by revealing it here, but I cant recommend it highly enough. Very powerful and heartbreakingly moving.

"The Paradox Men" has strong echoes of "The Rose" and is almost as emotive.

[font:Book Antiqua]'She was standing alone on the steps of the Geographical Museum regarding him gravely. A light cape was thrown about her shoulders and she appeared to hold it together with the fingers of her right hand, or possibly a barely visible metal clasp.

'The lamps on the museum porticoes threw an unearthly blue light over her bloodless face. Her translucent cheeks were drawn and lined and her body seemed very thin. There was now a streak of white in her hair, which was knotted unobtrusively at the side of her neck.

'To Alar she was completely lovely. For a long time he could only stare, drinking in the moody, ethereal beauty of the composition of light and blue shadow. His tortured frustration was forgotten.

"Keiris!" he whispered. "Keiris!"[/font]

How much we lost when he gave up writing for so long - but at least we have these, and they are to be treasured.

Yes, The Rose even better this time. Will have to rereread ‘The Paradox Men’. Just ordered the 1974 Panther Ritornel (reprint from 1968 original) that I read back then and remember as real good but not Paradox Men or Rose- guess it’s ‘Wagnerian’… Firebird is 1981, this SFBC Pocket HB (big pocket) is actually the true first- kind of his third wave… was well received…

har2.JPG

Yes, The Rose even better this time. Will have to rereread ‘The Paradox Men’. Just ordered the 1974 Panther Ritornel (reprint from 1968 original) that I read back then and remember as real good but not Paradox Men or Rose- guess it’s ‘Wagnerian’… Firebird is 1981, this SFBC Pocket HB (big pocket) is actually the true first- kind of his third wave… was well received…

har2.JPG

AS I recall TRoR lacked the plangent resonances of his earlier work. Firebird I've never read but now I must. Great cover too! Speaking of cat ladies, do you know The Ballad of Lost C'mell? Or The Pride of Chanur?

Cordwainer Smith (C'Mell) old fave- I'm partial to 'Alpha Ralpha Boulevard', prequel to C'Mell. Like Harness, his 'Scanners Live in Vain' (his first story) made an unsuccessful tour of the sf mags before being published in the obscure 'Fantasy Book' of 1950 then quickly (and deservedly) gained 'instant classic' status. Cherryh I haven't read though I see 3 'Faded Sun' books on my shelf.

F402.jpg

Cordwainer Smith (C'Mell) old fave- I'm partial to 'Alpha Ralpha Boulevard', prequel to C'Mell. Like Harness, his 'Scanners Live in Vain' (his first story) made an unsuccessful tour of the sf mags before being published in the obscure 'Fantasy Book' of 1950 then quickly (and deservedly) gained 'instant classic' status. Cherryh I haven't read though I see 3 'Faded Sun' books on my shelf.

F402.jpg

Pat, I've been away with my family for the past couple of weeks and am only now catching up on reading old posts.

Great books you've been posting. :applause:

This great stuff, My buddy Mark Finn is working on an anthology of Gorillas from the Pulps right now. Should be fun!

Oh, you must let us know when that's out... :headbang:

Mark Finn :cloud9: ....what a consummate wordsmythe...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u