• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I have the first italian edition of Hordubai (and others): Capek is a great writer and essential for the science fiction which would have become "mainstream" later on.

What is most amazing with his novels not dealing with fantasy (like Hordubai) is how he manages to paint the unseen, and what is more essential in man’s existence, without being pedant or philosophical in a boring way. His novels are enjoyable and lively as popular science fiction but also novels in the highest sense of the term as well. :)

Three of the Adam Link stories were later adapted by Al Feldstein and illustrated by Joe Orlando.

They were published in Weird Science-Fantasy as:

"I, Robot," in issue #27 (January-February 1955);

"The Trial of Adam Link," in #28 (March-April 1955);

and "Adam Link in Business," in #29 (May-June 1955).

Here is the first story.

adamlink.jpg

good job BZ, and vaillant, yes, Capek's non-SF also outstanding. Have read Meteor (the second of his trilogy of which Hordubai is the first) a superb standalone novel with a lot of 'sense of wonder' embedded into a 'realistic' yarn. The below is first US - 1935 Putnam.

img883.jpg

Meteor was on my wishlist, thanks for reminding me, I must have a look to see if I can find the whereabouts of the first italian edition (I love first editions, especially if they are great editions). :)

If I find a minute I will scan and post the italian Hordubai: no big illustration, but the editorial package is fascinating.

BangZoom: great to see the first edition of the Adam Link novel. I love the character, and I am just trying to complete the set of the redone stories in Creepy, also by Binder/Orlando. Thanks for posting the original one from the ECs, I already saw it but it’s always a pleasure! (thumbs u

The Lost Continent by Cutcliffe Hyne – early 1900s (1899 first) Harpers edition with 5 plates by Ernest Prater.

After rereading Doyle’s ‘The Maracot Deep’ recently, followed by Mor Jokai’s long excellent 1858 Atlantis novelette ‘The City of the Beast’, was on a roll… First, an aside about Jokai: I’d intuitively pegged him as an REH precursor- gritty colorful historicals etc, so when I saw the phrase ‘the worms of the earth’ in the Atlantis yarn I got all warm and fuzzy.

Anyway, after looking at a few Atantis novels from the era this Hyne book was agreed to be high on the list, so when I saw this on ebay WEDNESDAY MORNING for $3.75 (+$5 ship) I pushed BIN so hard nearly broke the keyboard. It’s actually a clean complete solid copy.

The two illos are in my book but images from web as are those of the 1944 abridged FFM and the Ballantine Adult Fantasy where they spelled Cut’s name wrong on the cool cover. Book image is from seller's listing.

lc5.JPG

beast1.JPG

Edited by pcalhoun

Man, these are BEAUTIFUL!

Awesome grab, Pat – and I absolutely love the Famous Fantastic Mysteries: wonderful cover!

Thanks vaillant.

I hope you'll be able to post pics of a few of your books in the future.

I'd love to see what you've been picking up in Italy.