• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I've been admiring the work of Hugh Rankin lately. He did quite a few covers for Weird Tales, and although he's not one of the big names that gets attention today, I love his work.

Weird Tales, Aug 1927

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252010%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201927.jpg

After two covers in late 1927, Rankin didn't get another one for a year.

Weird Tales, Dec 1928.

A lot of Rankin's cover from here on will use the predominant yellow color that goes so well with the red Weird Tales border.

Weird%2520Tales%2520Vol%252012%2520No%25206%2520Dec%25201928.jpg

Ranking did one more WT cover, Dec 1930, but I don't have that one. :cry:

I like his style quite a bit, but I think his work gets lost when grouped in with CC Senf's covers that were coming out at the same time. By pulling just the Rankin covers for this post I think you can get a better idea of what his work was like.

I've been admiring the work of Hugh Rankin lately. He did quite a few covers for Weird Tales, and although he's not one of the big names that gets attention today, I love his work.

Beautiful group of pulps, Todd. :applause:

I like Rankin's work a lot.

It harkens back to an earlier period of illustrators which I find very appealing.

Does anyone know of a Hugh Rankin biography online? I'd like to read more about him.

Thanks guys, this was fun! And thanks BZ for filling in the gaps for me. I'm only missing 8 issues from 1926-38, and THREE of them are Rankin covers. I didn't realize that when I started the post. lol

I don't know anything about Rankin and couldn't find any info online. I wonder if there's a biography or interview with him buried in an old fanzine?