• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the first comic you bought that you still have today?

56 posts in this topic

Man Thing 1 (purchased from my LCS's quarter bin in 1983). Approximately 4-6 Man Thing issues were bought at the same time. These are Man Thing's from the 11 issue series (I think Claremont was the writer, love the issue(s?) where a pirate ship takes out an airliner).

Wow, a couple of us started buying Batman right around the same time. Perhaps my earliest comic that was purchased for me would be Detective 438 but the first one I bought for myself was Batman 286, Joker cover/story. Of course that means that I got a tough economic lesson two months later when comics jumped to 35 cents!

Wow, a couple of us started buying Batman right around the same time. Perhaps my earliest comic that was purchased for me would be Detective 438 but the first one I bought for myself was Batman 286, Joker cover/story. Of course that means that I got a tough economic lesson two months later when comics jumped to 35 cents!

...I feel old,... foreheadslap.gif...my first book was a Batman too,..#204,...I bought that and World's Finest #177 and a piece of double bubble for a quarter,.... cloud9.gif

In the stack that survived from childhood are Daredevil 2 and Batman Annual 7 (both June 1964), but I think those were from trades, not the newsstand. The oldest one that I know I bought is Fantastic Four 38, May 1965. I don't have a scan -- unlike 39, it has a cover.

What SHOULD have been in the stack is an Amazing Spider-Man 1. *sob*

Jack

Brave and Bold 128, Batman and Mr. Miracle. I thought it was a Batman book. The next week I got it right with Batman 277.

Wow, that's incredible, your first Batman was 277 and mine was 278. Looks like you beat me to it by one month.

In retrospect, those Batman issues in that era were really crappy comics, with lousy writing by someone named David V. Reed as I recall, and mediocre cover art by some guy named Ernie Chan I think? It was the dead zone era after Neal Adams stopped doing Batman covers, and before Marshall Rogers took over Detective. All I knew was that Adam West Batman reruns were on TV and I was hooked on everything Batman including the Mego toys.

Actually the best art was over in Brave and Bold by Aparo, in my opinion, the most under-rated Batman artist of all time. He got no respect, I think he's one of the greatest ever. thumbsup2.gif

<center>Shamefully, I must admit, my first comic I bought that I still have is DAZZLER # 2...cover dated APRIL 1981, wow 26 years ago.

Uuuughhh! Shamefully is right. poke2.gif

As least you admit it, you could have just as easily named another X-men character like Wolverine #1 by Frank Miller from the same era.

Wow, a couple of us started buying Batman right around the same time. Perhaps my earliest comic that was purchased for me would be Detective 438 but the first one I bought for myself was Batman 286, Joker cover/story.

Maybe the TV show got you hooked too. All I know is that I watched Adam West jump around in tights on my TV screen every day after school and I had to have everything Batman. I bought all the Batman comics, all the Batman Mego toys including the figures, Batman van, Joker van, Batmobile, Bat-copter, Batman exploding bridge, Batman utility belt, Batman walkie talkies, and the cake for my 8th birthday had a custom designed Batman figure on the top made in icing. I even had my mother make me a Batman costume so I could dress up as Batman for Halloween (in the days before superhero costumes were readily available for Halloween).

It was this complete Bat-mania that started my collecting in 1976 that has not stopped yet I guess. screwy.gif

Brave and Bold 128, Batman and Mr. Miracle. I thought it was a Batman book. The next week I got it right with Batman 277.

Wow, that's incredible, your first Batman was 277 and mine was 278. Looks like you beat me to it by one month.

In retrospect, those Batman issues in that era were really crappy comics, with lousy writing by someone named David V. Reed as I recall, and mediocre cover art by some guy named Ernie Chan I think? It was the dead zone era after Neal Adams stopped doing Batman covers, and before Marshall Rogers took over Detective. All I knew was that Adam West Batman reruns were on TV and I was hooked on everything Batman including the Mego toys.

Actually the best art was over in Brave and Bold by Aparo, in my opinion, the most under-rated Batman artist of all time. He got no respect, I think he's one of the greatest ever. thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif I love those late 1970s Batmans! (Contemplates doing some re-reading to see if it's sentiment or quality that perpetuates the love...)

I got hooked on Batman from the TV series also. In 1970, I was six and my brother three. Batman and Sesame Street were on at the same time on different channels in the afternoon. In the days before Tivo and multiple televisions in a household, you can imagine the battles that were waged over which show to watch.

Aparo gets lots of respect on these boards. He was one of the greatest.

First comic I ever bought was when I was 6 years old. Fantastic Four 112. I loved the look of the cover, but admit at the time I had no idea who either of the characters that adorned the cover were.

I still have it, read 100's of times and is likely at best a 2.5

smile.gif

Artboy99

Here are some of my OO copies. These are the earliest original copies I still have, although I'd been reading comics for several years before these.

scan0007.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

This one...

014.jpg

Saw this in a shop window and was the first comic book I had ever seen, up till then I thought all comics were printed on recycled paper and had titles like "Buster", "Dandy" and "Whizzer & Chips"

I thought all US comics were this size and had all suck cool stories makepoint.gif

Hmmm... I think Giant-Size Spider-man #1 or Giant-Size FF #3 would be the earliest book I bought off the rack that's still in my collection. Earliest back issue that I've still got is Tales To Astonish #57 which my dad picked up somewhere for $1 back in early '75... man, that really got my attention... it's beat to hell and some previous owner with an artistic bent added a moustache to Giant Man and some extra webbing to Spidey... but as I recall that was the book that jumped out, grabbed me by the lapels and said "OLD comics are where it's at!" cloud9.gif

scan0010.jpg

HOW I REMEMBER reading the supplement to this issue...it was all about comic book collecting and the HUGE VALUES of certain issues....ANY CHANCE YOU COULD SCAN THAT ARTICLE ????
This issue was one of my very early purchases also...Jim.

The first I bought with my own money was Avengers 250 circa 1984. But my dad had been buying me comics since kindergarten. The oldest of those I still have is my copy of Uncanny 94. If CGC graded it, they would have to think about giving it a zero. I read it so many times that the paper looks and feels more like felt than paper. cloud9.gif

Of the half dozen or so books I still have that I purchased directly from the newstands...this one appears to be the oldest, with a cover date of December 1967. Almost 40 years old.

It's suffered a tape pull along the way, obviously. But otherwise....considering I was 13 when I purchased it, it could be worse. I remember not being particularly fond of this character, or the Golden Age reprints inside. Booooring ! wink.gif

I really should send in one of my original books for slabbing, just for the sake of it.

msh12big.jpg