• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie to this site. Is this a decent collection so far?

79 posts in this topic

pulps023.jpg

Tip Top Weekly from 1900. Number 242. About 20 pages describing a football game before 1900, between Harvard and Yale. Yale won 6 to 5. How do you get five? I don't know. I didn't read the whole thing. The cover is by Burt L. Standish

Here is a book for your viewing interest. Three variations exist. .10 cent cover, no price and no price with a blank circle is what the label states. It is a CGC 7.0. However, there are two known black and white copies, with a slightly different interior which has a page showing a mob nailing a Cardinal to a door, extreme violence scene. This is the no price with blank circle edition. It is the rarest, excepting the black and white ones, which were labeled "Confidential" on the covers.

isthistomorrowfront.jpg

Here is a collection of books with an airplane theme.

These are all highest graded or "up there" in the three highest graded. All are issue number 1's.

Captain Flight, CGC 5.0

SIMG0001.jpg

Sky Sheriff, CGC 6.0, Crowley Copy

SIMG00114.jpg

Sky Blazers, CGC 7.0

SIMG00105.jpg

Rocket Kelly, #nn, CGC 7.5

SIMG00096.jpg

As you will see from my collection as time goes by, I concentrated on Gerber rarities and not much in the way of superheroes, which is what everyone else collects. Although most of my Silver Age books are superhero. I guess I bought these non superhero books because they were cheaper. They are also much harder to find, usually.

Here is Don Fortune Magazine #1. CGC 8.0, tied with two others for second highest graded. The highest graded is an 8.5. CGC notes that it contains a "Delecta of the Planets" backup story. I truly think that CGC did not get this one graded correctly. I don't say that often. This should be at least a 9.0, but more likely a 9.2. Oh well.

SIMG00057.jpg

Here is Gasoline Alley #1, CGC 4.5 third highest graded and a Gerber 7.

SIMG00018.jpg

and Gasoline Alley #2, CGC 4.5 second highest graded and a Gerber 8. The cover is by L.B. Cole.

SIMG00071.jpg

This series only lasted two issues, however, Gerber states that a cover for a third issue, by L.B. Cole, was printed and Gerber has a picture of it, but it was a cover only and no interior was ever printed. I will buy the #3 cover if'en ya have one for sale smile.gif

Great stuff and I'm sure many of them haven't been posted on the boards before.

Ditto. Definitely looking to seeing more of these scarce items! popcorn.gif

Yep. None have ever been posted here or anywhere else, unless they were before I got them, like on Heritage Auctions, before I purchased them.

Here is something unique. It is Young King Cole, v#3, #4, from the Mile High collection. Whats unique (beside being the highest graded (CGC 9.4) and from Edgar Church), is that I also own, what I believe is called the "cover color proof" for this issue. I will post both here. There are slight differences in colors and size, but almost the same. I will also post the back of the color proof here, so you can see the company stamps. Anybody think this cover is by L.B. Cole? The reason I ask is that the "cover color proof" came from Cole's daughter.

SIMG0042.jpg

ykccoverart.jpg

ykccoverartback.jpg

What you have pictured is the color guide, which is a silver print that LB Cole colored (my guess) or that someone else colored for him. The proof would be the size of the actual cover.

I don't think that he drew that cover as it is below his usual quality of work. Regardless, I think it's cool to have the color guide 893applaud-thumb.gifand the comic!

Yes. I do not believe that it is hand drawn by anyone. I believe it is a "xerox" copy of the original artwork and was colored in by "someone" at the "Premium Group of Comics" art department. Gerber states that J. Wilcox did the cover and art. I just find it strange that it came from the L. B. Cole family, but he probably had a lot of "stuff" lying around. Would an artist of his caliber have colored in someone else's drawing? Of course, a job is a job and bills have to be paid smile.gif

It is slightly larger than the actual comic.

What is meant by the term "silver print"? Does that mean copy?

Yes. I do not believe that it is hand drawn by anyone. I believe it is a "xerox" copy of the original artwork and was colored in by "someone" at the "Premium Group of Comics" art department. Gerber states that J. Wilcox did the cover and art. I just find it strange that it came from the L. B. Cole family, but he probably had a lot of "stuff" lying around. Would an artist of his caliber have colored in someone else's drawing? Of course, a job is a job and bills have to be paid smile.gif

It is slightly larger than the actual comic.

What is meant by the term "silver print"? Does that mean copy?

LB Cole functioned as an editor even at Temerson, his first job, so it's very possible he had that position with this company. I'm sure I have an article somewhere that could fill in the gaps in my memory.

Yes he could easily have done the coloring for someone else as usually colored his own work and had a great sense of what worked on the newstand. But it's also possible he just had it in his files because he was editor and therefore had to approve the work of someone else.

Silver Print is a type of copy.

Here are Racket Squad in Action #1, 2 and 3. 1 and 3 are Gerber 6's. #2 is a Gerber 7. CGC's 6.0, 5.5 and 4.5. My number 2 is the highest graded that is not "Qualified". There is a 9.6 on the census that is "Qualified". My #3 is the second highest graded.

SIMG0026.jpg

SIMG00078.jpg

SIMG00087.jpg

I gotta get me a scanner that works with slabbed books. I have to drive an hour away to get to the "good" stores. Been putting it off since I found out mine wasn't the kind I need for this.

This is an interesting comic from 1939. "Best Comics" #1. There were four issues of this series. This is a Gerber 7. Overstreet calls it "scarce". Interesting things about this comic are: It is not mentioned in any of the guides, but it seems to be the first "black" superhero in comics. Especially unusual for 1939. Secondly, the hero (The Red Mask) is shown on the covers of issues 2. 3 and 4 as a white man. I do not have issues 2, 3 and 4, but I have read that he is only white on the covers and is black on the interior story art. Now that is interesting comic book trivia.

Mine is a PGX 2.0. CGC census shows one at 6.5 and that's it. No number 2, 3 or 4's are listed as graded by any company. I'll buy 2, 3 and 4 if ya have 'em smile.gif

SIMG0019.jpg

Oh, one more thing about this Best Comics #1. Overstreet states that it contains a 6 page Boston Celtics Story. It does not. Anyone else out there have this book? Let me know if yours has a Boston Celtics Story please. My book is not missing any pages and there is not such a story. Take note Overstreet smile.gif

Here are some fairly hard to find comics. Not in very good condition, but they'll do until I find better ones.

Space Kat-ets 3D= Gerber 8. With the glasses.

spacecatetts.jpg

Silver Streak #nn= Gerber White Space and a Gerber 8.

silverstreaknn.jpg

Frankenstein #21= Gerber 8.

frankenstein21.jpg

All Top #4= Gerber White Space and a Gerber 7.

alltop4.jpg

Frisky Fables v2 #11= Gerber White Space and a Gerber 6?

friskyfablesv211.jpg

Jing Pals #4= Gerber White Space and a Gerber 7.

jingpals4.jpg