• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie to this site. Is this a decent collection so far?

79 posts in this topic

Catman Comics #29, a Gerber 8. I think that I made a mistake in getting many of my books slabbed by PGX, as afterwards I learned that Heritage and some others, do not accept PGX graded and slabbed books for auction/sale. Should I open them all and send them to CGC, so that my heirs won't have a problem?

catmancomics29front.jpg

Cannonball Comics 1 and 2 (Gerber 5 and 6). Gerber is wrong about these two books. Try finding another. Both of these are the highest graded. Number 1 only has one other graded and no other #2's have been graded. I think that they are at least 7's and maybe 8's. I found one each of both of them "out-there". Talk about classic covers! A skeleton and a devil. There are only two issues in this series. You probably never heard of the "Crash Kid". He is the hero.

cannonballcomics1front.jpg

cannonballcomics2front.jpg

Someone asked before about the scan of Wild West Weekly #1 that I put up. It is from 1902, October 24th. Published in New York. This first issue has the story of a young cowboy called "Young Wild West" written by "an old scout". His horse is named "Spitfire". It is 11 1/2 inches high by 8 3/4 inches wide. Has about 8 or ten pages, with some drawings, if I remember correctly. The price was 5 cents. It says "issued weekly by subscription for $2.50 per year. Fifty-two issues for $2.50. Aaah, the good old days. It has a black and white interior with the color cover. It "may" be the first ever color cover of a western magazine. Except for the tanning of the pages, it is not brittle and is in near mint condition. You can see from the scan that the interior pages stick out from the bottom. That is the way they were cut back then. Not precise. It is not stapled, but apparently glued. I believe it to be genuine but because of the condition I am skeptical. If anyone has any info on it, I would appreciate it.

143ksk: Do you have this one? For fun, this is just for you smile.gif

SIMG00085.jpg

Theagenes: I tried scanning, a digital camera with and without flash, and this was the best I came up with. I am going to figure out how to take pics of slabbed books if it kills me.

SIMG00075.jpg

Heres an interesting mix of books. I used to buy everything in three's, but have sold some along the way.

SIMG00015.jpg

Theagenes: I tried scanning, a digital camera with and without flash, and this was the best I came up with. I am going to figure out how to take pics of slabbed books if it kills me.

hello all..

don't worry about the scanner...it appears yours does not use the type of lamp that is required to scan slabbed books (I believe a cold cathode lamp is required?)...so, it is not that you can't figure it out, it is that your scanner is not capable of scanning depth of the slabs....

that said, nice collection, please keep sharing!...that is what these boards are about

rick

hello all..

don't worry about the scanner...it appears yours does not use the type of lamp that is required to scan slabbed books (I believe a cold cathode lamp is required?)...so, it is not that you can't figure it out, it is that your scanner is not capable of scanning depth of the slabs....

that said, nice collection, please keep sharing!...that is what these boards are about

rick

Even with the blurry scan I can tell that BR's a gorgeous copy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Rick is right though; it's not you or the settings - it's the scanner itself. If you do a search here for "scanner" you'll find a number of threads with recommendations for models that work well with slabs. The HP 3970 is one that is often recommended and is what I use. I got mine used on eBay for around $10 or $15 (shipping was about $20 though). Good Luck! thumbsup2.gif

Going tomorrow to buy a new scanner. Thanks for the info guys.

Here are a couple of magazines that I enjoy owning. Again, because of their conditions, I am not sure if they are originals or later reprints, although I have not beeen able to locate any info on reprints of these things. Like the Wild West Weekly, they are in near mint conditon with tanned pages. I got these with the Wild West and some others that I will post sometime.

This is "The Champions Library" vol.#1, issue #11 from Dec. 1881. It has a several page story of what I think is a story about Wild Bill Hickok before he was known as Wild Bill. It is a story about a man known as Boston Bill or The Mad Mountaineer, at the time it was written. It may not be Wild Bill, but it just might be.

championlibrary1front.jpg

This is a very interesting magazine, also from 1881, No. 451, Vol.#1, which is the origin story of Billy the Kid. Talk about a cool item from 1881, even if it is a 40's or 50's reprint. I am guessing 40's or 50's, comparing the page quality I am familiar with in comics from that error.

wideawake1front.jpg

You fellows that collect Golden Age books know that when we are out "beating the bushes" looking for Gold, sometimes you come across rarities (mags, toys, hardback books, etc) and they seem like something you should buy, even if you don't know anything about them. I have many hardback books, toys, and magazines, that I have purchased, while out only looking for comic books. I got these old westen mags from the same person I got the Uncle Tom's Cabin original edition from, which was verified genuine and which I recently sold for a few thousand. The cool thing is, I did not want this stuff but the guy (the "guy" I mentioned in earlier posts, that I have lost contact with), made me an offer I could not resist. I paid ten bucks a piece for these western mags. I couldn't say no, even if they are forgeries. They are just so cool and display nicely, and for all I know, they are the real mcCoy (I actually know from whence that term came to be, but I digress). I have a glass display case in my hallway, but it is the first thing you see when you come in my front door. I change the display all of the time. Pisses me off when I have it full of Spidey 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 and FF 1, 5, 10 and similar books, and the people that come in to play poker with us on Wednesday nights, don't give them a second glance. smile.gif

You're right about those Cannonball comics -- devil and skull covers are A-okay! 893applaud-thumb.gif

hello all..

rick

Rick, your such a trekie/techie poke2.gifgrin.gif

Any of ya'll in my neck of the woods, stop by. Hillsboro, Ohio, about 45 miles east of Cincinnati.

Right around the corner from me.

I do not like owning restored

Me too. Altough it would be the only way I could afford the big goldenage key books.

For some reason, I have always had a thing for yellow covers smile.gif

I love glossy black cover DC books myself. Nice books you have.

Going tomorrow to buy a new scanner. Thanks for the info guys.

Here are a couple of magazines that I enjoy owning. Again, because of their conditions, I am not sure if they are originals or later reprints, although I have not beeen able to locate any info on reprints of these things.

My father used to collect Dime Novels. I recall that the two collectors who were chiefly responsible for the reprints were Charles Bragin and Ralph Cummings.

Here is Ginger. CGC 6.0. This is the highest graded, from the Davis Crippen collection.

SIMG00026.jpg

This is an L.B. Cole cover and tied for the second highest graded (darn, I hate when that happens smile.gif CGC 7.0. I love this cover. Can you believe that someone has one of these in a CGC 9.6. I would love to buy it from them.

SIMG00066.jpg

Okay. What do you guys think about this one. It is Romeo Tubbs #27. The series started out as "My Secret Life" and changed to Romeo Tubbs with issue #26. Gerber does not show that #27 exists and Overstreet states that it was issued 12/52 and states who did the artwork, etc, but then puts this statement (exists?) after their entry. Now, this one is the only one I have been able to find and it is the only graded copy but it is a Canadian Edition. So, is this thing rare or are they all over Canada and so cheap that no one sells them or gets them graded and slabbed?

SIMG00076.jpg

I recently sold two PGX slabbed books on Ebay that you guys may be familiar with. I advertised them as "PGX Error" slabbed books. One was Popeye #1, which they labeled as #2 but it is clearly #1 and I listed it as #1 on my initial submission form. The other was Tales to Astonish #60, which PGX labeled as both an 8.0 and a 9.0. I got under guide for both. I wish I woulod not have sold them but I was so curious as to how error's in the slab labeling would sell, that I just had to do it. Oh well, maybe CGC will give me some error's later smile.gif

SIMG00331.jpg

SIMG00341.jpg

With the names BangZoom provided, I found something on Wikipedia that does indicate these (dime novel western magazines) are most likely reprints from the 40's or 50's. It states that they are many times confused with originals because they are not labeled as reprints. Here is a quote from the Wikipedia article.

"Two of the prominent collectors, Charles Bragin and Ralph Cummings, issued a number of reprints of particularly hard to find titles from some of the weekly libraries."

A question I would have would be, did they have the reprints miscut (inside pages being longer than the covers) intentionally, to appear more likely form the 1880's or 1902, or was that substandard work by the printers?

The article does not state what issues or what titles were reprinted. Either way, I like them and don't understand why more people do not collect them. Cool reading.

Now, does this apply to this little item I have, that is in perfect condition (yep, I said the 'p' word)?